Profile Picture

What engine?

Posted By Daniel T. 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi Everybody, I just joined and I use to have a 1962 Brockway with an incredible T-590 Turbo that really whistled. I wanted to let all you know I'm listing today a Cummins T-590(been in garage for 20 years) on Ebay user name Sandi00. I've had lots of old diesel Macks over the years and I know a lot about them. Glad to be a part of Just Old Trucks. Best, Tim
glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I believe that turbo is a T 506

Glenn Akers
Hamish
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Daniel T. (08/02/2013)
My Intake manifold is on the left side (drivers' side) Unlike the pics below.

Exhaust is on right side.

Daniel

That's because your engine is an NH 4 valve head motor, intake and exhaust on opposite sides, the old H/HR 2 valve head motors had the intake and exhaust on the same side.
Daniel T.
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
My Intake manifold is on the left side (drivers' side) Unlike the pics below.

Exhaust is on right side.

Daniel
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Of course its been hot rodded, it was done all the time, when the blowers went out or to expensive to rebuild guys hung turbos on those also, from what I've heard they ran like a scalded cat.
Miss named on my part.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Jim Rose
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
those screws on either side of the throttle shaft have nothing to do with the idle they are throttle stop screws that control the throttle shaft rotation.

Aaron (08/02/2013)
Checking an injector for the numbers might get you alittle closer to what it is,providing the injectors were changed, checking timing would tell you more but no garentee that was changed either.
On the top of the fuel pump there may be a tag with some numbers on it just a head of the tach drive, or a tag inbetween the idle screws above the throttle shaft.
Hamish
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
grenfell34 (08/02/2013)
Aaron (07/02/2013)
A 180 and a turbo I don't believe are a match, it can and was done but I don't thinks its a Cummins setup, that motor could be rebuilt into anything in the small bore series, so a change of liner,pistons,injectors,and timing could make it a NRT 300 or even a NRTO 335, you really have no way of knowing what it is, it may very well be a 180 with a turbo, or it could have been kitted to a 262.
A very latge turbo could be one of the T 590's but without a picture it might be something else.

left side

right side

lot of hotroddin goin on back then!!!

Neat photos Ron, turbo on an old H or HR series motor. There were never any Cummins factory turbocharged H/HR 2 valve motors, were there?, only Roots blowers on HBS600 and HRBS600 motors I think. Has this motor been refitted with a PT pump?
grenfell34
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Aaron (07/02/2013)
A 180 and a turbo I don't believe are a match, it can and was done but I don't thinks its a Cummins setup, that motor could be rebuilt into anything in the small bore series, so a change of liner,pistons,injectors,and timing could make it a NRT 300 or even a NRTO 335, you really have no way of knowing what it is, it may very well be a 180 with a turbo, or it could have been kitted to a 262.
A very latge turbo could be one of the T 590's but without a picture it might be something else.

left side

right side

lot of hotroddin goin on back then!!!
Daniel T.
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)First Gear (18 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Checking the injectors-- is this visible on the outside of the motor? I know very little about these motors. End of the fuel lines in the head? What kind of number? 4-, 5-, 6-digit? more? I've worked on IHC 6.9/7.3's and gm 6.2/6.5's, but not this old iron.

I'll check for numbers in the mor'n on the pump, I dont recall any, but didn't look either.

Thanks

Daniel
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Checking an injector for the numbers might get you alittle closer to what it is,providing the injectors were changed, checking timing would tell you more but no garentee that was changed either.
On the top of the fuel pump there may be a tag with some numbers on it just a head of the tach drive, or a tag inbetween the idle screws above the throttle shaft.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/