Profile Picture

Walter Snowfighters!

Posted By bshoesey 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 Years Ago

Walter 100% TractionThis is a featured page

bevel drive

The key to Walter's success as 100% traction lies in the torque proportioning bevel drive. This differential seeks the wheel with the most traction, opposite of standard automotive differentials. This is accomplished without the use of clutches . Another key is the fact that there is a third bevel drive built into the transmission that directs power front to rear. With this setup, there is no need for a transfer case. The trucks drive like a conventional single axle until the drive tire loses traction and the bevel drives kick in. I experimented with the ACRS and blocked the rear axle and one side of the front with the tires off the ground. Without hesitation, the truck drove off all three blocks with only the one front tire. This drive was developed after WW1 and remained basically unchanged thru the end of production. This style differential is now marketed as a high performance unit under the Quaife name.

Walter 100% Traction - walter linn oshkosh fwd

This is a "picture" of the "painting" of my ACRS. My friend Albrecht commissioned this original, oil on canvas painting and gave it to me in 2002. It measures 18"X24" and is proudly displayed in our sun room.
The web's original Walter truck site-

McLean's Big Walter

Here is the video that shows a machine very similar to McLeans working at an Air Force base around Boston. It looks close, but probably not the same machine. The picture is the truck when it sat at the Somerset County Garage in PA. As the story goes, when PennDOT brought the machine in, they didn't realize there was a big hole in the block of the Cummins V-12. Oh well, $30k later, it was running!

Big Walter from PennDOT at Somerset
Below is a Town of Watertown NCBS from a Walter ad.

The web's original Walter truck site-

Jerry's W-I-D-E World of Walters

Here is a reprint of an old magazine article about the resurrection of a '36 Walter. Thanks Mike. Enjoy!

McLean's Big Walter

Here is the video that shows a machine very similar to McLeans working at an Air Force base around Boston. It looks close, but probably not the same machine. The picture is the truck when it sat at the Somerset County Garage in PA. As the story goes, when PennDOT brought the machine in, they didn't realize there was a big hole in the block of the Cummins V-12. Oh well, $30k later, it was running!

Big Walter from PennDOT at Somerset>

This is a YouTube video of some serious snowplowing in a Walter N-cab in up-state NY, February of 2007.

Below is a Town of Watertown NCBS from a Walter ad.

Here's that picture of twoWalter trucks at an airfield in New York.

Bill Sachse's WaltersThis is a featured page

FMD with paint started

1937 Walter FMD was originally purchase by the Nevada Highway Department. It was later used by the A. Bevilacqua and Son House Moving and Cement Contractors in Reno. The truck is one of the smallest of the Walter line at 20,000 GVW. It features a 100 HP Waukesha engine. I purchased it out of Idaho in 2003 where it had been sitting for about 10 years. It proved to be an exceptionally rust free unit and very complete. I hope to have the dump box back on it this summer and finish the bodywork and paint.

two Walters

The ACRS and FMD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Video of my ACRS just after I painted it.

July 2008 update photos of FMD paint project

Bill Sachse's Walters - walter linn oshkosh fwd

Photo update, Oct 2008, of FMD

Bill Sachse's '37 FMD

Lights supplied by my long-haul trucking buddy Buster- thanks they look great! Take a close look at the pintle hook. It must have taken a few mighty tugs to bend it out of shape like that! And only 100 HP pulling it along.

We are now getting seriously close to picking up some Pennsylvania antique license plates!

[Untitled]

This is one of my winter woodworking projects, replacing the door frames on the truck.

Under the paint was a clue to the trucks life after working for the Nevada Highway Department. This would explain the condition of the pintle hook a couple photos above!

ACRS and proud owner Bill
This photo shows the huge size of the plow equipment on the ACRS.

Big Chief was asking about plow mounting for the big vee plows. I devised this system for my ACRS. After getting the plows where I want to leave them, I block up the push frame on the vee, remove the pins and chains and it is all set. The tripod is used, with a cable puller, to lift the wing off the ground just enough to swing it away from the front block. The way the plow fits around the nose of the truck it is pretty easy to mount up. Once the truck is setting all the way in the plow, the push arms are lined up, generally needing only a little up/down or forward/back adjustment. after the first pin is in and the chains are hooked up, I raise the plow, allowing the second pin to fall into place. Because the truck is sitting pretty much exactly where it was when I took the wing off, I lift it up with a cable pull and it goes right into place. Removal is real easy, mounting up can take 45 minutes to an hour working by myself. I developed this system so that I can mount/dismount by myself, without the help of a loader (which I don't have).

vee-plow and wing mounting system

more mounting system

Here's a nice shot of my ACRS and I-H KB-2.

KB-2 with Knox grain box

ACRS Walter on the move.
Walter Watch Fob

Here are a couple photos of my Walter watch fob. I've only ever seen two of these on eBay over the years and missed the first one for lack of effort. When the second one showed up I was determined to get it, paying dearly. I was told by a dealer that the Walter Company never issued fobs on their own. This is an aftermarket company item (initials LC), but looks good just the same. Bill

walter watch fob

The bottom line in this second photo reads "The Walter Snowfighters".

Walter watch fob2

jhancock
Posted 2 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday

As shown at the Baystate Chapter Show 2021.  No sign of snow the end of August!

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a3baf9b9-1381-4784-b26d-07aa.jpg

Jim

All brands of turbochargers professionally rewound and synchronized.
                                         ------------------------
               This is sketchy even by my standards...   Uncle Tony