I am listing the following information about Blackhawk P-60 hand hydraulic pumps. These were previously mentioned in a discussion forum email. Enjoy!
Thanks to Ferrology for supplying this information a while back.
If you need information that you can't quite read off these scans, let me know and I'll get it to you. Bill
As I mentioned in the Discussion Forum thread, I have two of these pumps. One is a Blackhawk P63 original. It works on one side of the stroke, so according to the original discussion post, it should take about 1000 strokes to raise the plow. the other pump is a Dynex 2506-92-00. It is identical to the Blackhawk except for the capscrews holding the top on. I have it disassembled (it doesn't work at all) and hope to free up the valves or do whatever it takes to get it working. Any info on repair kits will be greatly appreciated! Bill
I noticed in the first diagram that they show two balls in the outlet valve spring assembly for the pump. This is very similar to the Grose-Jet style of needle valves for carburators. Grose-Jets are generally associated with at least SU and possibly some Stromberg carbs. They have a reputation for nearly perfect prevention of flooding due to the needle valve sticking open. Some previous research on my part about these valves indicated that they were originally used in the food industry and later adapted for use in the automotive section. This may be another example of a good application for this good idea. I was trying to locate one for the Zenith carb in my '37 FMD Walter which had a nagging flooding problem. That has since been resolved without the Grose-Jet. As the story goes, these are basically hand made in a little shop in the Boston area. I do not know the current status of production. Bill
I've been working on my BlackHawk Model 63 pump and offer the following. I disassembled the pump and found the two ball bearings comprising the valve on one side rusted. These would be #17 and #18 from the first scan. The spring #16 was in good condition (not rusted). The ball bearings measured 9/32 and 3/8 and were readily available at the local bearing shop.
Photo shows two ball bearings, spring and the valve plug. The valve had two seats to match the two ball bearings. I used twist drills, size 5/16 and 7/16 to clean up the seats. The ports leading to the seats provided lateral support to the drills to make this an easier operation.
This shows the 7/16 drill for the upper seat.
This shows the smaller drill fitting up the lower seat.
I used disks punched from 320 paper to finish the seats. The diameter matched the drill size, 5/16 and 7/16. I positioned the discs above the seats and used the drills to shine up the seats. All this drill work was done by hand. The results of this is pumping action on both strokes of the plunger. It remains to be seen if this Kaputi Garage style of overhaul will stand the rigors of actually lifting a plow off the ground. That I won't know for a while. Bill
I plugged the outlet of both my pumps and they go into a hydraulic "lock" with just a few strokes, so I'm thinking the pumps are now both in good working condition. Much like the dog who catches the car, now that they are completed I'm not sure what to do with them, but at least I have them.
Ferrology mentioned the "former home" of these two pumps. They were from the Hovis yard near Emlenton, Pa. Herb bought a lot of PDH equipment and kept most of it until about 5 years ago when they cleaned out. They kept the old city bus that was about 2' deep in hydraulic equipment, high and dry. Even that bus is gone now!
Traveling thru the bus was strictly at your own risk!