Profile Picture

Bill Sachse's Walters

Posted By bshoesey 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
]FMD with paint started

1937 Walter FMD was originally purchase by the Nevada Highway Department. It was later used by the A. Bevilacqua and Son House Moving and Cement Contractors in Reno. The truck is one of the smallest of the Walter line at 20,000 GVW. It features a 100 HP Waukesha engine. I purchased it out of Idaho in 2003 where it had been sitting for about 10 years. It proved to be an exceptionally rust free unit and very complete. I hope to have the dump box back on it this summer and finish the bodywork and paint.

two Walters

The ACRS and FMD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Video of my ACRS just after I painted it.

July 2008 update photos of FMD paint project

Bill Sachse's Walters - walter linn oshkosh fwd

Photo update, Oct 2008, of FMD

Bill Sachse's '37 FMD

Lights supplied by my long-haul trucking buddy Buster- thanks they look great! Take a close look at the pintle hook. It must have taken a few mighty tugs to bend it out of shape like that! And only 100 HP pulling it along.

We are now getting seriously close to picking up some Pennsylvania antique license plates!

[Untitled]

This is one of my winter woodworking projects, replacing the door frames on the truck.

Under the paint was a clue to the trucks life after working for the Nevada Highway Department. This would explain the condition of the pintle hook a couple photos above!

ACRS and proud owner Bill
This photo shows the huge size of the plow equipment on the ACRS.

Big Chief was asking about plow mounting for the big vee plows. I devised this system for my ACRS. After getting the plows where I want to leave them, I block up the push frame on the vee, remove the pins and chains and it is all set. The tripod is used, with a cable puller, to lift the wing off the ground just enough to swing it away from the front block. The way the plow fits around the nose of the truck it is pretty easy to mount up. Once the truck is setting all the way in the plow, the push arms are lined up, generally needing only a little up/down or forward/back adjustment. after the first pin is in and the chains are hooked up, I raise the plow, allowing the second pin to fall into place. Because the truck is sitting pretty much exactly where it was when I took the wing off, I lift it up with a cable pull and it goes right into place. Removal is real easy, mounting up can take 45 minutes to an hour working by myself. I developed this system so that I can mount/dismount by myself, without the help of a loader (which I don't have).

vee-plow and wing mounting system

more mounting system
Bill [/YouTube]Sachse's Walters [/YouTube

Here's a nice shot of my ACRS and I-H KB-2.

KB-2 with Knox grain box
Just to show how diversified I really am, I'm adding some pictures of my Triumph sportscar collection. I've had British sportscars since my first MG in 1968. The following cars are of an enduring nature, the 1959 TR3A has been around for 25 years, the 1971 TR6 since 1982 and the 1967 TR4A IRS since 1975. My byline is that I have three daughters and they each get one, after my personal demise!

Bill Sachse's Triumph Collection - walter linn oshkosh fwd

Pretty nice Tr3A. I rebuilt everything but the steering box and the differential. Bodywork included the entire mid section. I did not do the final bodywork or paint and still can't!

This really is a maintenance free ride!

This is my longest project. I'm slowly working on a frame up restoration. As my middle daughter likes to remind me (it's to be her car), "you're not getting any younger Dad, when are you going to finish my car?"

After a few disparaging remarks about my sportscar collection in the discussion forum, here is a picture of my middle daughter enjoying a seat in the big Walter.

TR6 is a 26k original, pretty much never in the rain or snow and all original.

Of course my TR collection would be complete and concours if the Walters hadn't got in the way. I still have time.