Profile Picture

Stainless Steel Autocar

Posted By bshoesey 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I'm adding this page for stuff not necessarily related to winter equipment. I was recently reminded of a truck I saw a few years ago along the PA/OH border. It was an Autocar with all stainless steel sheetmetal. I'm sorry to say that I could not get good pictures as it sat in the back of a dark pole barn. I'm posting the only picture I have, along with a link to another photo of one of the trucks. As the story goes, a steel company approached Autocar about producing some s/s cabs. They declined, initially, as the s/s is too hard on the dies. When they changed cab styles some times in the 50's or 60's, the steel company bought the old dies. Autocar then produced seven truck cabs of stainless steel before the dies were junk. The fellow I spoke with has a lot of historical data to back all this up, including a picture of all seven of the road tractors. It took him about 25 years to negotiate the purchase of the one he has and he hopes to one day put a restored drilling rig on it for show purchases. He laughed as he told me of how he can hear brakes squeeling when he parks the truck out by the road and passer-bys can't believe what they are seeing! Any additional information about this will be greatly appreciated.

stainless steel sheetmetal cab- one of 7

Here is a site with a photo of one of the road tractors

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1019231169029115594WhlprxQVOR

Here's another site

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/2007/12/stainless-steel-autocar-trucks.html

Any additional information about these extremely rare trucks begs to be shared!

This truck resurfaced in 2012 at a shop in Titusville, PA.

Last I heard, the truck was available to purchse. Bshoesey

Shifty
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)Fourth Gear (556 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
It was Edgecomb Steel. I first heard about them from an Edgecomb driver back in the 70s, but never saw one until several years later at the national in Valley Forge.
Not sure about the total built. The driver that told me about them said the same thing about the molds being damaged.
I had heard later on someone had info. on maybe 9 single axle, and 2 twin screws?
I've seen this one a couple times since, but I don't have any info. about it.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/b195c1f1-d070-443e-bc2d-62d7.JPG
Park Olson
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I remember seeing at least one of these trucks regularly delivering steel to machine shops I worked at in Connecticut in the '60's. IIRC, they worked out of Milford.

Probably were spread around to several different distribution points.

BMT forum has a pic of one on a display pad in PA,,,search Edgecomb truck color

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PROGRESS WAS ALRIGHT ONCE, BUT IT HAS GONE ON TOO LONG

Junkmandan
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Jerry McDowell of Hadley Pa,an eastern suburb of Greenville,Pa. just over the Ohio border, had one which could easily end up in Titusville. Jerry was a driller or somehow related to the industry.

Seems there was a story in Wheels of Time maybe 10 years ago on thes trucks.
Michael Yarnall
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)Third Gear (208 reputation)

There was a good article in Wheels of Time a few years ago about these Autocars. The guy who owns the one with the Jersey tag above has 5. There is one in front of Edgecomb Steel in PA. I don't remember how many were made, but it was more than 7. I want one really bad. Mike

Michael Yarnall,

Boyertown, PA
John Frances
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)

This is from Power Wagon '58, not sure what issue :

"STAINLESS STEEL CAB AND HOOD PARTS A well known eastern distributor of stainless steels, Edgcomb Steel Company, Philadelphia, reached right into its own warehouse for its new fleet of seventeen trucks.

The cab and hood parts of this "rolling advertisement", as well as the signs on all their trucks are made of Armco stainless steel, Type 302, 2 B Finish.

According to Edgcomb officials, the new trucks not only are eye-stoppers but will eliminate refinishing problems of parts that usually need it first.

The stainless steel is supplied by the Armco Steel Corporation whose plant is located at Middletown, Ohio."

These are from ebay, both taken in '61.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/79c2be34-c9b5-4b3a-b289-81be.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/2d63fb04-d4e8-427f-afc4-1d61.jpg
Attachments
Edgcomb_1 Sep '61.JPG (33 views, 190.00 KB)
Edgcomb_2 Sep '61.JPG (42 views, 188.00 KB)
Daryl Gushee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I've seen the truck in the original post. It's in good shape for the age but it is dented from one end to the other. It would be a very tedious restoration project getting the stainless back in good condition. The non stainless cab parts are rusted out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I Can Break Anything
johnnycatt
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)

I have located another, interested?????  It needs full restoration.  It is in central PA.
johnnycatt
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)I'm new welcome me (2 reputation)

Still want a Stainless Autocar?  We have one available, needs a LOT of work...
Rmooreram
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Your story is correct about Edgecomb Steel commissioning the 7 trucks. Edgecomb, founded in Philadelphia by Leslie Edgecomb was THE first steel service center / distributor to process and distribute stainless steel. I worked for Edgecomb, which became Edgecomb Metals, for 20 years. The company at one point had 24 locations.

In the early 1990s when owned by French based international steel giant Usinor Sacilor, the company began a search for the trucks. We located, purchased and restored 3 of the original 7. They were used to promote stainless steel and made limited "light" load deliveries and were displayed in front of plants rotating through the various regions of the company.

The Company has changed hands twice since first as Mac Steel Service Centers USA and now they are Klockner Metals.