Profile Picture

More Track Snowplows

Posted By bshoesey 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago

Town of Bethel Me Cat 50 and alden wilsons cletrack 1945Town of Bethel Maines Cat 50 in 1945  They are blasting the Snow in background                   more plowing in erie county Pa with a dozerplowing on an open dozer

Anyone interested in plowing these days with an open cab?
Possibly Gushee machine from Maine?
This is very similar to a machine at the Syracuse show in 2003 from Maine
Sargent plows for track vehicles
First plow for track vehicles?
These are a couple cuts from an old Sargent sales brochure. Note that it is claimed to be the first tractor snow plow ever made. Sargent snow plows were made by the Maine Steel Products Company in South Portland Maine

Sargent Plows

track machine, Wells, BC
I found this picture in one of my albums. It is marked as being from Wells, BC, Canada. I have no idea about the machine or the year. The rotary looks a little like a Snow King.

Tracked Plows 2 - walter linn oshkosh fwd

John Hagen 10/13/2007

John Hagen 10-13-2007.

John Hagen 10/13/2007.

John Hagen 10/13/2007

John Hagen 10/13/2007

John Hagen 10-13/2007

Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Well I think claiming to be the "first" anything is tricky, it migtht be the first Sargent tractor plow, or maybe even the first V plow with independent adjusting wings, but unless I saw proof it predated Frink, Root, Baker, Good Roads, etc. I'm skeptical, and those are only the early manufacturers I know a little about.

Back to the Linn similar to Gushee's # 2500, unfortunatly there is a gap in ownership records after Feb. 1936 outside of the local (Central NY) sales area, but I can say these are 16' Frink wings, as the rear wing brace slide is half way back on the ballast body, which was the more popular length in Maine. The license plate (black on white) would appear to be a 1938 or 1940 Maine license plate, and the changeover to to steel cabs occurred in 1940, so if a Hercules powered tractor like 2500 the serial number would range around 2530? The hazard stripes actually are on a steel plate on the backside of the ballast body, and I have never seen that on any other Linn tractor, usually they just had "DANGER KEEP BACK" stenciled if anything. All Linn tractor and Linn trailer sales in Maine were through Ford & Smiley of Skowhegan, and while the firm remained in business as a Frink and Ford dealership later on, apparently Linn sales records did not survive.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.