Profile Picture

Hays/Van Horn and Kemp collection Linn tractor history

Posted By Linntractornut 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Kemp's Linn # 2504 model 6H-35-B was originally owned by the Town of Newcomb, NY in the east central Adirondack Mountains, they returned it and it was re-sold to Town of Westerlo, Albany County, NY and then it somehow ended up at a truck collector (Green?) hunting camp in Beaver Brook, NY between Eldred and Narrowsburg, NY, a Sam White Co., contractor, in either Eldred or Narrowsburg aquired it and three others from that collector in the 1950s. Including # 2155 4-35-DUR ex Town of Sidney, NY Linn, that somehow ended up in Pop Van Horn's Museum and went from there to the Hays Museum in CA. A # 2199 also a 4-35-DUR (big four "HL" Waukesha 100 hp engine) originallay owned by Town of Meredith was traded in to Gould & Bridges in 1948, after Sam White ownership it's unknown, it could be the similar model tractor scrapped on rt 7 north of Binghamton c. 1978? Lastly #1205 factory rebuilt as # 1951S, a 6 cyl. Waukesha Linn originally owned by the Town of Richmondville traded in with it's Good Roads snowplow for $1100 towards a new 4 cyl. Linn (Charles Bilby tried to buy that later Linn in the 1960's from the town but the supt. refused and junked it instead) in 1933, 1205 was then factory rebuilt as 1951S (the "S" suffix indicating factory rebuild) and re-sold to the Town of Hancock, NY, White sold it to Dr. Frank Myers, whose son Dan Myers (source of much of this info on these particular tractors) more recently gave it to Bilby as it was incomplete but a Richmondville tractor, unable to find the needed rear axle parts Bilby grafted it onto a partial frame he had.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Further digging. Sam White Contracting Co. in Narrowsburg had them before they went to the Beaver Brook hunting camp, three of them anyways, he had five, one went to Dick Kemp (now Gushee #2504 ex Newcomb/Westerlo), a # 1866 model 6-28-D is unaccounted for, so 2119 model 4-35, the 1951S (a.k.a.1205) Charles Bilby spliced to rebuild as the Town of Richmondville Linn, and the #2155 now at Hays, all were at the Beaver Brook Hunting Lodge at one point (east of Narrowsburg). The point of tracing these back is because every now and then someone will remember a Linn some place and you go on a goose chase finding it's one you already know about. Ernest Portner was trying to find the old Dean Williams, Redfield, NY 4 cyl. Linn that he last saw before he went in the service, a lot of people knew where it used to be but he finally gave up on finding it, then one day I got to looking for a serial number on an old Linn power unit he swopped a 1928 Chevy truck we had given him, with a guy in West Leyden for, and it turns out to be the front end of that Dean Williams Linn.

Narrowsburg is important to me and Linn tractors, in that a Oneonta based contractor. O.P. Williams relocated there with a fleet of Linns on a rock cut highway job my grandfather, his cousin and a brother in law all worked on, my grandfather driving one of the first Cummins diesel powered Linns (when the Linn tractor plant got slow at several times in the 1930's and they laid off employees, they could get tractor driving/repair jobs with good references) in Aug. 1933 he got a phone call when my father was about to be born, five flat tire repairs later my grandfather was back up here and took the Mohican bus driving job to stay closer to home (Oneonta-Kingston route daily).

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.