Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 9 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
tie rod pin is threaded in. Take off the jam nut and unscrew it all the way out. DO NOT TRY TO BEAT IT OUT. ask me how I know.
thundersnow70
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

thundersnow70
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

thundersnow70
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Ok, that should work if I use my phone. I have an appointment at Brake and Equipment warehouse in Minneapolis on Aug. 6th. They are going to turn both hubs, reline the Coleman brake shoes and arc them, and sleeve the original Wagner Lockheed cylinders. McMaster Carr is going to supply the felt cord for the stub seal and hub seal. I will document that when I get to that point. In the next couple days I will break the passenger side down. It's already been apart once so it should go fast. I will post pics of the disassembly. The biggest problem during disassembly was that I didn't know about the holes Coleman had placed to facilitate disassembly. Holes drilled to access the back side of a bearing or race to drive them out. Mine were plugged FULL of crud and not noticed until later. Stay tuned, and if I do a poor job explaining or start confusing people let me know.

And I think I will pass on the ATHS forum Craig. I have a thread started on FTE about this project, so AHTS would make 3. That's gonna be to much time on a computer for me. As I go along anyone can re-post whatever they want to whatever place they like. Or just direct them to JOT I guess. 
thundersnow70
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

I'm gonna try this on my phone. Maybe this will be easier adding pics.
chtrout
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Coleman Racing Operations 1929-1932

This photo posted earlier in this thread depicts the only race cars that Coleman ever built from the ground up and were named "Coleman Specials." They were built on a custom chassis with 120hp Graham-Page motors and Coleman Front Drive Axles (FDAs), thus making them 4-wheel drive.

These three chassis were followed in 1930 by two other "Coleman Specials," that were actually Miller-183s purchased new and retrofitted with a Coleman FDA. On a side note, one of the two Miller-183s was eventually refitted with a double engine, but did not handle well at all.

Coleman racing operations began with these three entries in 1929 "Pike's Peak Hill Climb," and concluded in 1932, following several failed attempts in the "Indianapolis-500" with the two Miller-183s.   While none of the front-drive Coleman race cars ever scored a 1st place win, every single chassis eventually "placed" in at least one of its entered races, and this achievement brought much notice in the automotive industry to the Coleman Motors Corporation front-drive axles and the innovative mind of Harleigh Holmes. Front-drive race cars were still a very new concept, and Coleman was very much in the forefront, right along with front-drive racing competitors Miller and FWD.  Alfred Elliot "Al" Coleman, who along with his brother George had purchased controlling interest in the "Plains Truck," formerly named the "Holmes Truck," renamed the company after themselves (Coleman Motors), and "Al" being a racing enthusiast, prompted and financed the Colemn Motors brief entry into the racing arena.  

In the photo you posted, all three Coleman-built "Coleman Specials" are lined up during preparations for the 1929 "Pike's Peak Hill Climb" on 2 Sep 1929.  Left to right, the entire founding generation of the "Unser Racing Dynasty" – brothers Jerome Henry "Jerry" Unser, Sr. (1899-1967) in Coleman-Special chassis "C" painted as #6 (came in 6th); Louis "Lou" Unser, Jr. (1896-1979) in Coleman-Special chassis "B" painted as #5 (came in 5th); and Joseph J. "Joe" Unser (1897-1930) in Coleman-Special chassis "A" painted as #4, which came in 2nd place.  On 13 Feb 1930, Joe Unser would be killed in his second-known street crash in this same vehicle (chassis "A").  From outward appearances, all three "Coleman Specials" may have been virtually identical.

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

chtrout
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)Fourth Gear (418 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Ford F4 -- Coleman FDA Rebuild....

Mark... YES, extremely interested!  Anything you might care to share....   Digital photos plus captions are best. 

And yes, this is a perfect thread for these Coleman FDA-related posts. You might want to consider posting duplicate copies to the "ATHS Forum," which tends to include many rebuild and restoration projects. Some guys, belong to JOT and others belong to ATHS, and some to both.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

For those that may not remember I have a 1951 Ford Coleman F4. To make a long story short I have sourced all the correct bearings and I am currently deep into the axle rebuild. I don't check in much at JOT so I was just wondering if anyone would want full blown details on this process, maybe just some pics or whatever. I will say that I am amazed at the Coleman specific parts. It's easy to tell the Coleman bits as they all have a Coleman part numbers. C-xxxxxx etc. I believe the only "standard" piece is the brake cylinder.  Craig, I know you have interest, I just need to figure out an easy way to send them to you. I am not really computer savvy. Again, due to my lack of JOT knowledge I don't know if this thread is the place for this info or should I start it's own thread. Let me know please, 

Thanks..................Mark
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
While researching something else I came across this photo, thought it would be interesting here.
Note the lettering on the far racers hood. http://ppihc.org/timeline/jerry-unser-joined-brothers-louis-joe-start-tradition-family-racing-pikes-peak/

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/9a272ec0-2154-4f44-98a9-3a54.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Truckdog62563
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)I'm new welcome me (1 reputation)

Anybody know the whereabouts of this F-250 Coleman? Would love to find it.