Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 7 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Made some progress lately. The pass side stub and spindle is on. Found a local machine shop that will rebuild the yokes and rings. The brakes are all sorted out and just need to be installed.
Brocky
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Michelle, I think it is a SICARD made in Canada??? Jeff WAI will probably give a better guess!!

Brocky
Michelle Cole
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/e9ac9846-45a5-47f9-b89a-61c7.jpg

Not totally sure but I think this is a Coleman with a 56 Ford cab.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

Michelle Cole
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Tony, the pictures you posted also look like the Coleman tugs that was used to tow large aircraft around when I was in the Air force.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

chtrout
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
1939 Coleman G-55 Offered for Sale

(I have no interest in this sale beyond simply trying to ensure that Coleman survivors find a good home.)

Jeff Thain of Strasburg, Colorado has just recently decided to place his 1939 Coleman G-55 up for sale.

The following is his posting:
- - -
1939 Coleman G-55 Serial #4751 flatbed truck with a BUDA-L525 engine, dual rear wheels, front axle is C-375 axle and the Coleman hub simply has a adapter for Budd wheel. Accompanied by a 1978 State of Wyoming Title. Truck did run when put into building in 1980. I really do not have any further information on this truck. $6500, or best offer.  Jeff Thain can be reached at 303-829-6220, and the truck is located in Strasburg CO. 
- - -
>> UPDATE:  I am now hearing from one of my very-experienced Coleman restoration guys indicating that engie may not be a "BUDA L525," but perhaps a different BUDA engine series.  Confirmation is still pending.
- - -
  • Significantly, the brass Coleman data plate is still mounted high in the passenger side corner of the cab, thus fully validating the model, chassis serial number and  year. 
  • The chassis is largely "as built," with the exception of the bed perhaps being replaced with a makeshift flat bed, and in later years, it was apparently used as a "boom" truck.  Also, an improvised rear bumper has been added, but for the "purest," it could be easily removed. 
  • As background, the G-55 series (first offered in 1938) replaced the previous E-series trucks, with the major difference being going from "narrow tread" (56" to fit the wagon ruts in mining trails and such) to now offering "standard tread" on all trucks. 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/3b879773-4c40-4910-93a8-cb32.jpg

Forward 3/4, driver side...

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8b4ea0bb-d521-4377-a0ce-a473.jpg

Forward 3/4, passenger side...

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/56431e0f-8fef-4348-a684-ce87.jpg

Rear 3/4 driver side..  The boxes of spare parts are not relevant to the Coleman and are not part of the sale. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/9fa7272f-a6bd-49f3-a94c-9aef.jpg

Rear view... Note the added rear bumper.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/bf413408-0da4-4bbc-a403-990c.jpg

As was often the case on early G-55s, the Coleman hubs sometimes came fitted with an adaptor for Budd wheels.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/bfb02d4c-1b17-4852-a8b4-4c91.jpg 

Original brass Coleman data plate is still mounted in the cab.  Although difficult to see in this photo, the data plate blank had been stamped "C-39" on the bottom right border, meaning "1939," which is also conistant with the title and the chassis serial number. 

All-in-all, a truly great early Coleman G-55 restoration project that is somewhat within easy reach of eventual parade duty, truck shows, and such!

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

So all the parts have been sourced for my F4 Coleman. It started going back together today.
thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

So very little has been done lately with the Coleman. Been busy with other stuff and still needed some parts. I ordered the felt seal material today and hopefully the spindle bearing will be in soon. Split the t-case again last night in order to replace the output seals. I don't believe it was designed like that but some some pieces were hanging up so to avoid any damage I just split the case again to figure out what was going on. Pics to follow soon.
thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

So I got my F4 Coleman kit hubs/drums turned and the shoes relined. Brake and Equipment Warehouse in Minneapolis MN did the work. They are true craftsmen. The drums were turned just enough to make them round and the shoes took 1/4x2 inch pads. Bonded and baked to cure. They were first sandblasted and tumbled and then dipped in anti-corrosion stuff. B&E warehouse is an old school shop and I can't say enough good about them. One step closer!
thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

rubbishman
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 50 minutes ago
I will see about scanning that material.

H.S.Blake
1971 IH VCO(T)-190 Leach 2R Packmaster
Fawnskin, CA 6,750 feet above tidewater