Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 7 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Back side of spindle. You can see at 12 o'clock the thread bolt hole for pushing on the wedge to tighten the spindle bearings. You can also see the hole to drive out the inner race. Make sense?
thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

All cleaned up and ready for primer and paint. The blasting revealed more part numbers. Time to get a pen and paper.
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Those bearings may be military surplus.

Tony
thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks for the kind words Craig. It really turned into a mission after I received the first set. I was going to stop after two and reuse two of the old ones but the price was right and I figured now was the time to get them. Tony, I think another series Timken could be made to work. If i had to do it that way I would stay away from further machining of the hub and just try and retrofit a spacer/shim in some fashion like you mentioned. I will be saving my old ones in case down the road someone can use them. Something else that struck me was the first two had bar codes and external numbers printed on the boxes. The last two had no numbers or bar codes on the pic. You can see that in the pic. It leads me to believe these last two bearings were sold in bulk. Maybe in an industrial setting, aircraft, ship etc. Just something that caught my eye.
Tony Bullard
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Mark now that you know this axle inside and out would it be possible to use a  more common bearing and a spacer as we discussed in these two posts?
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/FindPost121290.aspx
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/FindPost121294.aspx

Tony
chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

thundersnow70 (7/24/2018)
So let's talk about wheel bearings. Timken 73562/73875...

Wow, I truly like your exhaustive research and very cautious approach to overseas distributors, especially in areas like China.

Very impressive work, and great information for anyone stalking those pesky wheel bearings for their own rebuild. 

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

So let's talk about wheel bearings. Timken 73562/73875. I know those numbers by heart. I will give credit to a local bearing supplier parts guy named Jerry for finding them. He did some internet searching and found a supplier in China. He had his I.T. guy look at the web page and said it looked legit. He talked to his manager and his manager said NO WAY. They would not get involved with China, but he said he would give me all the info. The company name is Sun Rises Group Limited in Hong Kong. After about 30 emails and a bunch of research I wired the money for 1. When I say research I mean it. I called Hong Kong to see who answered, got the number off the web page. It was obvious they sold bearings and the name was correct. It was also obvious we had a language barrier. I google street viewed the address, the building matched the picture on the web page. I street view the bank address, it showed up as HSBC. Everything was looking good. I googled some shipping terms so I didn't sound like a hillbilly in SD. MOQ, Measure of Quantity, PI, Purchase Informa or purchase order etc.I wanted them to think they were dealing with an industrial business. EVERYONE thought I was nuts to wire money to China, my wife and kids, my co-workers, everyone at the bank etc. I learned with international money wiring it all has to be done in one day and it cost $50 just to wire. Plus the Fed has to clear it. I had to send proof of the money wire to them being careful not to send any of my account info to them. About a week later they told me it was arranged. A week after that DHL sent me a tracking number, and a week after that a bearing and race showed up.

When I went to get another one the old email address was dead. After more research I found it back but under SDVV which is a German bearing company. All I can figure is that they merged some time after bearing #1. When I began email them it jumped back to SunRisesGroup. Then to make things worse I received two quotes back. One being about 400% higher than the other. So I dealt with the cheaper one and set everything up. After they received my money they informed me they were out of stock. I fired off a nasty email about them selling out in a matter of days and figured My money was gone. That same night they informed me they sourced one and it would be shipped. Bearing #2 came out of Singapore. Only about 1500 miles away from Hong Kong. Needless to say that one showed up as well. Took about a month. I was feeling lucky so I asked if they had 2 more and they said they did. I asked for another PI and wired more money. Bearing #3 and #4 came together and took about 3 weeks.

From what I can tell I have been emailing a distribution center in Hong Kong that has merged with a big German bearing supplier. They must source bearings from all over Asia. It was a stressful adventure, but well worth it. Something that surprised me was the Google search. Jerrys first search was just the numbers, no Timken. Another thing that was troublesome was the quotes. I did this 3 times and had 3 different bearing quote prices and 2 different shipping quote prices. Makes me think there is no set price, just whatever they figure they could get. In short if anyone wants some of these bearings go to SDVV bearing, or SRG beaing. SDVV should get you the SRG email address, wire some money, hold your breath and cross your fingers.

thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

thundersnow70 (7/23/2018)
Craig, I will put together a list of suppliers and part numbers. I will post it all at one time to keep it together. As far as wear goes, there is virtually none so far with the exception of the pin holes that join the yoke to the ring. They are egged out and I have yet to remedy that problem. The steering tie rod end bushings and bolt look great. The hubs look great and the DS stub all look great. Very minor wear on the brake drums even tho the brake pads are down past the heads of the rivits. The four pins look good as well. Very minor wear. It's obvious they are harder than the ring and yoke. I will further document how well these parts have held up during assembly. The wheel bearing story is a interesting one. That's a different post on its own.

That was very interesting that the Power Yoke and Compensating Ring showed more wear than the pins. I had not anticipated that, but it makes perfect sense. I look forward to continuing to "learn" from your rebuild adventures! Thanks again for sharing!

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Craig, I will put together a list of suppliers and part numbers. I will post it all at one time to keep it together. As far as wear goes, there is virtually none so far with the exception of the pin holes that join the yoke to the ring. They are egged out and I have yet to remedy that problem. The steering tie rod end bushings and bolt look great. The hubs look great and the DS stub all look great. Very minor wear on the brake drums even tho the brake pads are down past the heads of the rivits. The four pins look good as well. Very minor wear. It's obvious they are harder than the ring and yoke. I will further document how well these parts have held up during assembly. The wheel bearing story is a interesting one. That's a different post on its own.