Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 8 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
notch goes towards the back in this application. Stub bolts have nuts on the inboard side. This is mainly for my record
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

hot tip of the day. In this pic of the clean stub you can see three small holes. The back hole is from a grease zerk. The front two, upper and lower are for driving out the races. I drove out the upper race, then attacked the bottom one. Then the spindle slide off. Assembly might be interesting because I'm my mind the new races should be installed prior to the spindle being placed on the stub but I'm not sure that possible.
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

that was NOT FUN.
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

underside of upper cap with bearing in it. You can also see the race in the top of the stub. Now it goes down and out if all goes well. I'm taking that race out next to give me more room.
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

came in from the back to tap the wedge out. Wiggled the spindle down far enough to get a couple flat tips under the upper bearing cap to pry it out.
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

All the bushings are oillite. They are still in business and still manufactured. You can also see the spring tension brake adjustment cam.
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Back side of spindle. You can see at 12 o'clock the thread bolt hole for pushing on the wedge to tighten the spindle bearings. You can also see the hole to drive out the inner race. Make sense?
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

All cleaned up and ready for primer and paint. The blasting revealed more part numbers. Time to get a pen and paper.
Tony Bullard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Those bearings may be military surplus.

Tony
thundersnow70
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks for the kind words Craig. It really turned into a mission after I received the first set. I was going to stop after two and reuse two of the old ones but the price was right and I figured now was the time to get them. Tony, I think another series Timken could be made to work. If i had to do it that way I would stay away from further machining of the hub and just try and retrofit a spacer/shim in some fashion like you mentioned. I will be saving my old ones in case down the road someone can use them. Something else that struck me was the first two had bar codes and external numbers printed on the boxes. The last two had no numbers or bar codes on the pic. You can see that in the pic. It leads me to believe these last two bearings were sold in bulk. Maybe in an industrial setting, aircraft, ship etc. Just something that caught my eye.