Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 7 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)13th Over (5.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Steve we're pretty good at hijacking threads. I spent the winter of 73/74 on a riding scaffold replacing all the screws holding the corrugated sheeting on the side of a foundry shaker building in Ypsilanti Michigan called Motor Wheel. But we had a grand view 6 stories up. I think they were owned by Goodyear. Then we rebuilt all the carts and the drag and cope molds that travelled thru and used in the pouring process. And yes you came out at the end of the day looking like you'd been playing in a coal bin. They made GM brake drums and front wheel assemblies for Chrysler.

One day we watched a guy get blown right out the back window of a big fork lift when he dumped hot slag on a snow pile. Lit on his feet and never stopped running! I think he set a new worlds record in the 100 yard dash.

Chopped Liver, I've got my own rope thank you very much.
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 hours ago
This is unrelated to the thread subject, but late in 1972, I worked at a foundry here in Wisconsin. My paychecks were from "Waupaca Foundry, a division of Budd Automotive." A high percentage of our product was "Big Three" automotive related. All in all a nasty place to work, so I was only there for a couple of months!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

ppsyclone
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
It also reminds me of a street sweeper cab.
Bruce Ohnstad
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
1946 Dodge pickup cab had a Budd tag, if I recall in the door frame.

That cab looks like railroad equipment.

Bruce
chtrout
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

Last Active: 25 minutes ago
||| Those Very Distinctive Cabs on the American Coleman EH-62 |||

A very knowledgeable fellow researcher has indicated that he believes the very distinctive cabs found on the American Coleman EH-62 were manufactured by "Budd."

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c849a0a4-2be2-47d3-8f44-4503.jpg

Photo Source: John A Grissinger Photo, Craig H. Trout Collection -- please credit.

– As background, the "Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company" was founded in 1912 in Philadelphia by Edward G. Budd, whose fame came from his development of the first all-steel automobile bodies in 1913, and his company's invention of the "shotweld" technique for joining pieces of stainless steel without damaging its anti-corrosion properties in the 1930s. Among his first customers were the Dodge Brothers.

– In addition to automobile and truck bodies, as well as truck wheels, Budd also became very well-known for their production of heavy-rail passenger cars, such as "The California Zephyr," and a whole series of electric-powered light-rail cars used on various subway systems.

– The Budd Company became part of "Budd Thyssen" in 1978, and a part of "ThyssenKrupp Budd" in 1999. In 2006, all body and chassis operations were sold to "Martinrea International" in 2006. Budd eventually filed for bankruptcy in 2014.

>>> Has anyone seen any additional information confirming that the very distinctive cabs on the Coleman EH-62 were manufactured by Budd? For instance, has anyone observed any "Budd" builder plates anywhere on the Interiors? 

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

John Frances
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

chtrout (1/15/2020)
John, thank you so much!

Had you found the correct editions, or were you simply providing the link for the LIFE magazine search engine?

Also, do you see any clues in the "Sault Ste Marie" photo that might provide a date or a "search" term? The lead dump truck has a banner that might be helpful, but I cannot quite read it – it seems to start "Dem.... in Action" or something similar. From several of the cars in the photo, I am guessing about 1950?

Thanks again!

I was just providing the link. Jeff posted that the 2nd picture was taken in 1950.

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

The newest car I see is a 50 or 51 Chevrolet, I'm guessing the sign on the truck says democracy (or democrats) in action and judging by the liberty bell and flag painted car, this is a Fourth of July parade.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

chtrout
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

John Frances (1/15/2020)
The 2nd picture is Ashmun St in Sault Ste Marie Michigan. The Barish store is still there. LIFE magazines are on Google Books here. You can scroll or search.

John, thank you so much!

Had you found the correct editions, or were you simply providing the link for the LIFE magazine search engine?

Also, do you see any clues in the "Sault Ste Marie" photo that might provide a date or a "search" term? The lead dump truck has a banner that might be helpful, but I cannot quite read it – it seems to start "Dem.... in Action" or something similar. From several of the cars in the photo, I am guessing about 1950?

Thanks again!

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

John Frances
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

The 2nd picture is Ashmun St in Sault Ste Marie Michigan. The Barish store is still there. LIFE magazines are on Google Books here. You can scroll or search.
chtrout
Posted 11 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Hi Jeff,

Thank you, that makes perfect sense... I had reviewed available consecutive editions of LIFE magazine online for that general timeframe but had not (yet) found these particular images or any related stories, although I may have missed them in the one or two editions that were not posted.

– As an ongoing question for everyone else, I continue to be deeply interested in any additional details on these 2 images, particularly with regard to exact locations, and any captions or supporting stories.

And Jeff, with regard to your related question, yes that gentleman did contact me, and I have been able to provide him with a great deal of requested information on his 1942 Coleman G55A carrier and Quick-Way model "E" truck shovel. He has a fascinating unit with a truly fascinating work history, and I will eventually post an article, with his permission.

Thanks again Jeff for all you do (in behalf of all of us)...

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member