Profile Picture

Coleman Trucks

Posted By jhancock 5 Years Ago
Rated 4.3 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
ScottM (5/30/2016)
Very interesting! i eould really like to see more of the Y24 and its controls and linkages. I should check out some patent documents when I get home to see what shows up there. Are you planning to write a book?

Scott, Unless I missed it, American Coleman never actually received a "patent" for the very innovative Y-24, unless of course their production partner, Brandon Equipment Company of Chicago, was instead the patent "applicant of record."   The only trailer-spotter that Coleman actually patented (that I know of), was their 1951 Coleman "Yadmobile" developed in partnership with P.I.E. trucking
  • I will be extremely interested if you fined anything more in your own research. 
Yes, there is a pending "coffee table" style book on the History of Coleman Motors, with ATHS legend Don Chew as the author, and myself as the primary researcher. We also plan small spin-off booklets on very specific topics, such as Coleman trailer spotting vehicles, aircraft towing tractors, rotary snow plows, and such.

Keep Calm and Coleman On!
Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

ScottM
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)Third Gear (231 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Very interesting! i eould really like to see more of the Y24 and its controls and linkages. I should check out some patent documents when I get home to see what shows up there. Are you planning to write a book?

======================
www.cachecreektruckshow.org

Scott McKenzie
- 1964 Pacific SRDD-D - http://prograph.smugmug.com/1964-Pacific
- 1973 Pacific P9 - Recently sold onto a good home.
- 1983 GMC 2500

www.pacifictruckclub.org
www.hayestruckclub.org

chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)Third Gear (382 reputation)

2016 ATHS Salem -- Got Coleman?     (photos that is)

My "proud but rusty budget" would not allow me to attend the 2016 ATHS Truck Show in Salem this year.   Did anyone notice any Coleman trucks or Coleman Front Drive Conversions?
  • Quite a few early Colemans were sold to the California State Highway Department, and a smaller number were sold to logging interests in Oregon and Washington, so I suspect there may still be a few "survivors" in the area that may have been brought in for the show. 
Craig 

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

Trucker
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)Second Gear (100 reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
I'm looking for photos of the date plates of Coleman EH-62. Model EH-62 isn't mentioned anywhere.
Eddy Lucast
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)13th direct (4.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Looking at a 65 year old piece of equipment makes you appreciate what we used even 30 years ago. I spent many nights in an Ottawa yard goat at a Yellow hub. We kept 6 of them running around the yard on each shift. Each one moved 100 trailers in a shift. Trailers were dropped at many different heights and to keep up we were hopping. Every time I look at this photo I want to pick my feet up and get ready for a face full of trailer.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

chtrout
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

John Frances (3/19/2016)
From this video here, just past the 8:00 mark.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fa0da174-2085-4c63-9df9-0a24.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/03b6ea30-6529-43fc-855e-7237.jpg

1954 American Coleman Y-24 Trailer Spotting Vehicle

Hey John,

Thanks for posting this truly interesting video segment showing the 1954 Coleman Y-24 Trailer-Spotting Vehicle developed in partnership with the Brandon Equipment Company of Chicago for use by the Pennsylvania Railroad in their rapidly expanding "PiggyBack" Service.

●    During these early days of TOFC (Trailer on Flat Car) operations, piggyback flat cars were still being loaded "circus train" style, with a skilled semi-tractor driver having to use his side mirrors, or strain to look backwards out of his window, to nudge a semi-trailer back over a very long series of perhaps 6-8 flat cars, linked by bridge plates, to its final tie-down position.

●    In answer to this rather awkward "backing" operation, American Coleman developed this four-wheel-drive, four-wheel-steering, truly bi-directional spotting vehicle with two steering wheels facing in opposite directions, and the driver could now simply change positions to always be facing his direction of travel, greatly simplifying the spotting of trailers on long strings of flat cars. It was powered by a Chrysler engine, but I do not have the actual details.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/e6cd9ae1-497c-4264-b5fe-0bd9.jpg

Official file photo of the 1954 American Coleman Y-24 Trailer Spotting Vehicle developed in partnership
with the Brandon Equipment Company of Chicago for use by the Pennsylvania Railroad in their rapidly
expanding "PiggyBack" Service.  This particular prototype was 2-wheel drive, but some were 4-wheel drive. 
Source:  John A. Grissinger photo, Craig H. Trout Collection, please credit. 

●     A whole series of Coleman Y-24 prototypes were developed and field-tested in the Chicago rail yards until finally settling on a "production model." The very earliest version simply had a single vertical-stem steering wheel between two forward-facing and rear-facing seats, but it was soon determined this was somewhat awkward to operate, and then a two-steering wheel system was developed, both steering wheels linking into a single steering gear.

●     This was not Coleman's first entry into the trailer-spotting market, they had previously developed a "Yard Mobile" for the Pacific Intermountain Express ("P.I.E.") in 1951, but it was a very light-framed, single-steering wheel arrangement designed for simply spotting trailers at a trucking depot.

●     Interestingly, the very last major product line of the American Coleman company was the "Champion-II Yard Horse" series, that was equally at home working railroad piggyback loading facilities, trailer-spotting duties at trucking depots, or dockside duties handling container trailers.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/d6965d5d-b556-4fd2-8976-77ce.jpg
Front side of official catalog page for the American Coleman "Champiion II" Trailer Spotting Vehicle. 
Source:  Craig H. Trout Collection, please credit.

As an interesting side note, while the prospects originally seemed very bright for the Coleman Y-24, ultimately, the use of trailer-spotting vehicles in TOFC loading operations was almost entirely replaced by traveling overhead cranes, first used for loading semi-trailers onto 85-foot "TrailerTrain" TOFC flat cars, then later used for loading shipping containers onto TOFC flatcars. Today, TOFC flat cars have been largely replaced by specially designed articulated "well cars" (usually about three cars permanently coupled together), loaded with either single or double-stacks of shipping containers. A few TOFC "TrailerTrain" cars have survived, and have found a new life in handling extra-long loads, such as "Wind Farm" propeller blades, aircraft components being shipped for final assembly, and similar long, but not overly heavy consignments.

Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

John Frances
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

From this video here, just past the 8:00 mark.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fa0da174-2085-4c63-9df9-0a24.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/03b6ea30-6529-43fc-855e-7237.jpg
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)13th Over (10.3K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I was thinking the same thing Hamish. You never know, you might still see it, after everyone forgets where they saw it !

Jeff
Hamish
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)13th direct (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
ppsyclone (3/18/2016)
I am betting this special GMC has a Coleman front axle.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/motor_carrier/1948/11/scan027.jpg

This would have made a great WAI?, Jeff. Unless you were in the know there doesn't look to be anything on here to identify it as a GMC.
ppsyclone
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)5th Direct (883 reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I am betting this special GMC has a Coleman front axle.

scan027.jpg (1024×1441)