Profile Picture

Old Trucks at the National Museum of the Marine Corps

Posted By bshoesey 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I had the opportunity to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corps this weekend. If you are ever nearby you should spend a day there. They have a number of old trucks on display and here they are:

Memorable visit, especially for a non-vet like me. Bshoesey
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Seems to me there should have been a Nash Quad in there? I have to check up on the guy who bought the two quad chassis from Portner (one a sub contract Paige, even rarer!). I was just reading through some old correspondence and in 1992 I pressed a guy in Champlain NY (was always going to get up there so he could show me where) his father was highway supt. in the 1920's and 1930's and buried two quads (front and rear steering) in a bridge approach for rip rap where the road was sliding away, he said for a long time the front wheels stuck out but he wasn't sure if they had been covered over or not, with all the recent flooding would be interesting to know if they have been uncovered or if anyone else ever noticed the wheels? That was the same guy who figured since most the town population was heading to a tavern over the border in Canada for New Years (Prohibition) it was alright to plow the road, and then they were asked to plow the parking lot, alright until the machine fell into the septic tank, then it was a hot issue why the town snowplow was in a septic tank in another country.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.
bshoesey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)5th Direct (685 reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I am fairly sure there not any other trucks at the museum. Taht story about new years eve and the town truck really stinks!
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I was told the tale by the highway supt's son, who got the job of chipping off as much as he could before they put it inside to thaw out, it had hung by the wings and the tracks were still spinning in the "soup" before they realized Meridian(?) tavern patrons lacked sufficient fiber to give it traction. Then I later read about it in a book called something like "Rumrunners Across the Border" but it didn't specify what the machine was. He (Lawrence Ashline) said they first tried to dig a ramp down in, and then they got every truck, tractor and horse available, chains and ropes, to pull it out.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.