Profile Picture

Did anybody here know Andy Henderson, Weedsport, NY?

Posted By eymurphey 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Here is Buddy's picture again so you don't have to strain your neck. Welcome to JOT, Buddy.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/b791dc7f-d8f6-4cb2-9bcb-f468.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
BuddyB73
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)First Gear (5 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Here is the fleet at Syracuse ATHS 2003 Show as mentioned.
Attachments
2003.jpg (54 views, 711.00 KB)
Michael Yarnall
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The black over red L cab is Andy Jr's. 1 of 4 Mack/Magirus B-85's delivered to Chicago FD in 59 & 60. 2 were 100', 2 144'. The Magirus aerials are quite rare in the US. Here is a photo of it while in service, probably still very new:

Here's a recent picture of the '49 DC-100. Grandpa loved the flat-windshield Autocar Diesels.

The name rings a bell. Was that your Ralph Smith LF "barn-find"? If so, that was a real neat truck. We looked that one all over.

-Brian

[/quote]

Thanks for the pictures. They are both great trucks. Yes the L model is mine. It was actually all apart when I got it. It took my mechanic 3 years to put it back together. Mike

Michael Yarnall,

Boyertown, PA
OldBuggie73
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the board here! I just now noticed (today) I had a PM from you, I was glad to hear from you! I had written up a long letter several months ago to send to someone in the Henderson family (yet to be sent anywhere), so I will edit it a little and send it on to you shortly, and any of your family that might be interested. The pictures you (and some others) posted below of the '56 LT were great, and the fact that the truck is still running around is amazing! The pic's of the Orr trucks, I never have seen before. The LT's were really nice looking trucks back in the day (still are).

The Terpenning photos I posted months ago were taken in the days when Pop was leased to Krajack Tank Lines, who were based in NJ, but operated thoughout the north east (Ohio / WV / MD and parts north and east). They have long since been swallowed up by some of the companies that used to operate under their authority. So Pop would have passed through your area semi-regularly over two decades. And in the late 60's he would have been checking out any rumors of anything with a 12V in it. So I'm sure my Dad knew about your father's Autocar with the 12V-71. Pop was a dyed-in-the-wool Detroit (then GM Diesel) man. In '68 he sold his '56 GMC and bought his last truck, a 66 KW W923 with an 8V-71, which he "re-engineered" several times over 31 years, changing air to spring suspension, then putting in a 4x4 trans, and then in 1978 he swapped in a 12V-71 / 13 speed into it, my favorite arrangement. In '91 or so the V-12 was needing to be "refreshed," and he had collected like 4 or 5 12V engines that were a.) free to a good home, b.) fell of a truck, or c.) here, take it off my hands! But he was worried about the noise cops and the oil spill cops, and so he came to put his first Cat engine in the KW, a 1693T, and lastly a couple years later, a Cat 3406B, which it still has installed. Pop passed away suddenly in 2000. I have owned the KW for the past 15 years now (doesn't seem that long...), but it is still retired, waiting on me to make the next move. I'm not in the trucking business, so it will strictly be a "personal vehicle" while under my ownership. Too many projects!

I look forward to corresponding with you further!

OldBugggie73
Jim Baker
bmh2525
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Michael Yarnall (27/07/2013)
I remember the line up of trucks at the ATHS show in Syracuse in 2003 in memory of Andy Henderson. What an impressive line-up. I particulary remember the L cabbed B model fire truck in black over red. We can see a little bit of it in one of the pictures below. I have prints of those trucks, but I am too lazy to scan them and post them.

I talked to a guy at Macungie this year looking at my Autocar. He said to stop and look at his Autocar. When I found it, it turned out to be the Henderson Autocar. I love that truck. I didn't get to speak to him again though. Mike

The black over red L cab is Andy Jr's. 1 of 4 Mack/Magirus B-85's delivered to Chicago FD in 59 & 60. 2 were 100', 2 144'. The Magirus aerials are quite rare in the US. Here is a photo of it while in service, probably still very new:

Here's a recent picture of the '49 DC-100. Grandpa loved the flat-windshield Autocar Diesels.

The name rings a bell. Was that your Ralph Smith LF "barn-find"? If so, that was a real neat truck. We looked that one all over.

-Brian

Michael Yarnall
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)Third Gear (274 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I remember the line up of trucks at the ATHS show in Syracuse in 2003 in memory of Andy Henderson. What an impressive line-up. I particulary remember the L cabbed B model fire truck in black over red. We can see a little bit of it in one of the pictures below. I have prints of those trucks, but I am too lazy to scan them and post them.

I talked to a guy at Macungie this year looking at my Autocar. He said to stop and look at his Autocar. When I found it, it turned out to be the Henderson Autocar. I love that truck. I didn't get to speak to him again though. Mike

Michael Yarnall,

Boyertown, PA
bmh2525
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)First Gear (7 reputation)

Brocky (26/07/2013)
Brian

What years did your grandfather have that Mack in Terpining livery?? I worked for Bonded Freightways / Matlack in Syracuse from 1969 to 1973. Seeing that picture, somehow it rings a bell as having seen that truck working in the CNY area??

I am not positive, but it would be late 60's, early 70's. One winter it was used hauling sand and salt for Terpening, as seen on another page. Grandpa was driving the '64 Autocar and then the '70 Autocar tilt hood with 12V71 during that time period. He actually worked for Bonded for a while back in the late 40's when he was just starting out.

-Brian
Brocky
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Brian

What years did your grandfather have that Mack in Terpining livery?? I worked for Bonded Freightways / Matlack in Syracuse from 1969 to 1973. Seeing that picture, somehow it rings a bell as having seen that truck working in the CNY area??

Brocky
bmh2525
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Here's a couple more pictures of Orr Tank Lines. I have a bunch more to post sometime. I believe the 56 was Orr #99, then when Ventura bought them out it was renumbered #399. I may have a picture of it in Orr colors, I will have to dig them out.

-Brian
bmh2525
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Thanks again to all for you interest.

Mahans AK shown is one of the trucks that sat out behind the barn, along with another AK and an FJ (?) that was a former Colonial mixer. Not positive what became of the other trucks, will look into it. The story of the Barrington truck is a neat one. Back around 1970 the family was out chasing down leads on old trucks through backwoods towns in Central New York. My grandfather had heard about the an AK at the town of Barrington that was pretty rough. He tracked it down setting beside a barn, and then tracked down the Highway Super. His words were, "If ya like that, you oughta see what's inside the barn." Grandpa about fell over when he opened the barn to find a much nicer AK, the truck you see here. Its a neat truck with the "Boulder Dam Radiator." Here is a picture of when he sold it, Francis Ryan came to pick it up.

Orrin, here's a picture of your Autocar when he first got it home. It looks rough here, he did a few small things to make it look a little more presentable.

Jim, here's a few more pictures of that LT. My father remembered your father. He worked for _____? Dad knew the name, but I can't remember it right now. A tank company I believe.
When he first bought it:

Later on, with the school in the background:

And currently, as shown at the 2012 Springfield show:

Tom's '54 LT, a few years ago:

Grandpa in front of his favorite, the '64 Autocar A10264:

and his last, Classic #357. He went to Lake Peterbilt in Erie, PA to make a deal on a new blue Classic 359 for Mark to drive for him. He ended up falling in love with the maroon one, and came home with 2. A lot of people thought he was crazy to take on 2 fancy new Peterbilts, but he succeeded with them. Andy Jr still has this, using it as an antique hauler. It was shown at Macungie this year.

Hope everyone enjoyed. My grandmother Judy is an amateur photographer, so we have millions of pictures from over the years. Sorry for the quality of these pics, I was too lazy to fire up the scanner so they are just pictures of pictures.

-Brian