Profile Picture

Aviation Thread

Posted By Michelle Cole 9 Years Ago
Rated 2.8 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)13th direct (3.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Henry Ford was born 150 years ago yesterday.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Bill White
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 minutes ago
Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had done with cars.
He built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. It was the world's largest building under one roof.
Even then FORD HAD A BETTER IDEA!

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

To compensate for all those other impacts you need to know the true winds on the ground or at your altitude and then use a aviation slide rule aka whiz wheel to figure that out. You also have to correct for altitude to compute for true airspeed vs indicated airspeed, also using the "whiz wheel".

http://www.amazon.com/Jeppesen-Metal-E6B-Flight-Computer/dp/B003K2FOV0/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1375272470&sr=8-11&keywords=e6b

http://www.amazon.com/Jeppesen-CR2-Computer/dp/B0041HMEEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1375272543&sr=1-1&keywords=cr2+computer

There are static ports on the side of the aircraft typically which collect the static air pressure around the aircraft to be compared to the dynamic pressures collected by the pitot tubes. The Pitot-Static system generally consists of airspeed, vertical speed (VSI), altimeter instruments in most aircraft.

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

Tony Bullard
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)13th direct (4.4K reputation)

Group: Administrators
kblackav8or (15/07/2013)
Pitot is pronounced "PEE-TOW"

I thought about finding an old air speed indicator and putting a Pitot tube on my truck as kind of a joke. I would need one from a slow airplane or helicopter as they need to have about 30mph of airspeed before they will show much of anything. You can get them calibrated for MPH and Knots. Really a pretty simple device, they take the air pressure rammed down the tube and convert that into needle movement.

Kevin that would give you air speed but how would you compensate for ambient wind direction and speed to get ground speed? It would be a good instrument for show and tell though.

Do you remember Einstein trying to explain his Theory of Relativity? He said how fast are you going if you’re traveling 60 mph in a train? Compared to what? The surface speed of earth about its axis? The speed light travels through the universe? Etc. It’s all relative.

Tony
Stretch
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)5th Over (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Thanks for letting us ride along with you Kevin.
kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

Seems a good spot to relate my working trip to the Great White North. Took off from Howell, MI for Sault St. Marie to deal with border crossing, work visa etc on a Friday. Took a couple hours to deal with that after we avoided some thunderstorms. We flew all day to get to a little place in NW Ontario called Poplar Hill. It is a little Indian village of Cree (I think) Indians. We lived in a Ministry of Transportation building at the airport. That is where the airport snow removal and maintenance equipment was stored. Had a few bunkrooms. Pretty underwhelming. Water that came from the faucet looked like tomato juice and smelled pretty bad. Was an experience taking a shower in the nasty stuff. Bugs galore, black flies, horseflies, mosquitos and probably some spiders too. I got bit a number of times by something that left wounds that oozed for about a week. Just now seem to be healing up. We had our (illegal in Canada) 99% Deet, mosquito head nets, hats shirts etc. The flies were the most annoying and a cloud of them were always getting in the helicopter when it was on the ground. The job was laying about 105KM of fiber optic cable off the big cable spools some of you have probably hauled around before. They weigh between 5000-6000lbs each loaded with this cable and installed in the cable reel or carrier we carried under the helicopter. We used a 100' kevlar line to hang this thing down and tow it along above the ground or water while the cable spooled out. Stuff weighed about 1lb per meter of line. The path we followed wound all over the place and. The span between the towns was only about 32 miles but we almost doubled it because of the route they mapped for us. Once we got going it took us 5 days and about 30 hours of flying to get the job done. It was very slow, 5-7 nautical miles an hour at best and 3 or so at worst. Ground guys almost got attacked by a bear once and one did end up in a lake and nearly got hypothermia. We were glad to get it done. Was a interesting experience but the fun of it wore off quickly. The scenery is pretty spectacular though so that is kind of neat. Both towns are served by the Ice Roads during the wintertime, rest of the year is air only with a surprising amount of air traffic in the area. I have another job coming up next month in Quebec moving some small structures and equipment way above Maine and north of the St Lawrence river and waterway where there are no roads and not much of anything else.

http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/i-bQRrQ3h/0/XL/P1030177-XL.jpg

http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/i-m2BKhRw/0/XL/P1030153-XL.jpg

http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/i-v2NDTPL/0/XL/P1030248-XL.jpg

http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/i-BZvVSBk/0/XL/P1030242-XL.jpg

Toronto on Sunday
http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/i-BNmS6xD/0/XL/P1030296-XL.jpg

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

jhancock
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks Jeff!

It is behind some wire with a fine selection of poison ivy that kept me from exploring.

I don't do well with poison ivy!

No doubt, it is a big boy.

Jim

Jim

All brands of turbochargers professionally rewound and synchronized.
                                         ------------------------
                        No one ever said "My garage is just too big".
                                          ----------------------
           Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you are right.

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
jhancock (29/07/2013)
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/3f9fb33b-a9fe-48bb-9b5c-1832.JPG

An interesting tug with a low cabin on the right and tall cab on the left.

Jim

Jim, that's an Air Force MB-2 built by either Euclid or Ward LaFrance from the late '50's through the '60's. It had a 200 hp 6-71, an Allison torque converter with 4 speed transmission, and four wheel drive. It looks to have big planetary hubs too. Those tires are 16.00x25. It also had a 30 ton winch. There is more info in Fred Crismon's military vehicles book on page 295.

Jeff
jhancock
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/3f9fb33b-a9fe-48bb-9b5c-1832.JPG

An interesting tug with a low cabin on the right and tall cab on the left.

Jim

Jim

------------------------
                                          ----------------------

jhancock
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

While flipping channels on the tv a couple of years ago, I stopped on an old "American Chopper" episode where they put a small setup on a bike that was being built for a plane or helicopter company.

Jim

Jim

------------------------
                                          ----------------------