Profile Picture

Aviation Thread

Posted By Michelle Cole 9 Years Ago
Rated 2.8 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
kblackav8or (15/07/2013)
Pitot is pronounced "PEE-TOW"

I thought about finding an old air speed indicator and putting a Pitot tube on my truck as kind of a joke. I would need one from a slow airplane or helicopter as they need to have about 30mph of airspeed before they will show much of anything. You can get them calibrated for MPH and Knots. Really a pretty simple device, they take the air pressure rammed down the tube and convert that into needle movement.

For years I have had an altimeter in my pick up. I acquired an 89,000 foot altimeter from salvage that was accurate up to about 30,000 feet, after that it started reading way off scale. It served my purposes well. The highest I have ever been with it is to the top of Pikes Peak which is just over 14,000 feet. Another instrument that is self sustaining as all it needs is to read barometric pressure. It is so sensitive that you can have the windows down and raise them and the pressure will increase and you will drop about twenty to thirty feet on the on the altimeter.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Pitot is pronounced "PEE-TOW"

I thought about finding an old air speed indicator and putting a Pitot tube on my truck as kind of a joke. I would need one from a slow airplane or helicopter as they need to have about 30mph of airspeed before they will show much of anything. You can get them calibrated for MPH and Knots. Really a pretty simple device, they take the air pressure rammed down the tube and convert that into needle movement.

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

Bill White
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
glenn akers (13/05/2013)
Pitot tube ?

Aircraft use pitot tubes to measure airspeed

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
Michelle Cole
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Kevin, I know your right about the economy of the DC-6 and 7's they were nice aircraft and no one can argue the beauty and gracefulness of the Connies, and there's no doubt the Super Connies were fierce competitors in the long range market along with the DC 7C's. The Boeing Stratacruisers were as pretty out side but they were elegant inside with the spiral staircase that led down to the lower lever with the bar. There is no doubt that the R 4360s burned some serious fuel but they were fast and when someone was looking for a fast trip across the pond they would call for a Pan Am Stratacruiser.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)6th Over (2.6K reputation)

Boeing was at best 3rd place during the Propliner era regardless if they may have went faster. The sales weren't there. The Connie was the oldest and was continually approved. The DC-6's were the most economical and all the variations up through the end of the DC-7's were good ones. The Starliner was the last of the Connie's and was a great aircraft. They toyed with turboprops on it and even tested a few for the Navy. Then they built the Lockheed Electra. Had structural problems early on but overcame them. The Electra became the P-3 Orion in military form and I have them fly past my house almost daily. Very solid, sturdy airplane. Lockheed missed the boat in the Jetliner race and played catch up. They built a masterpiece in the L-1011 but it was late and had some early problems. Talk to anyone who flew them and they were years ahead of their competition in terms of technology in the cockpit, wing design and other areas. Too bad Lockheed threw in the towel on the commercial market because I really feel they could have made a world class 2 engine wide body jet to compete with anything. We need more then 1 manufacturer in this country to keep some non-government subsidized competition around. Clinton administration should have never let Mcdonnel Douglas get taken over by Boeing. They should still be separate.

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

Geoff Weeks
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Can you imagine the fuel bill on 4) 4360's today? I agree about being the best of the best for our nation.

Sort of off topic, but could you imagine the result if some nation did to air force one, what we did to the Bolivian presidents plane? How times have changed!
Michelle Cole
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I just love this picture. It is about what this country used to be about as you can get. Early fifties, the aircraft is a Pan Am Boeing Stratacruiser, the cream of the crop of prop aircraft. The Constellation was a more graceful looking aircraft but the Stratacruisers with the four R 4360's was a faster aircraft.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/e83db5bb-4d91-4ec0-bac0-1df8.jpg

Michelle Cole
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Kevin, it the first video of the B-17, when it was waiting to get on the runway, it looked like the number 4 engine was turning so slow that you could have stepped between the blades without being hit.

kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Like my truck pictures, I have moved some of my work pictures to Smugmug. Yesterday we did a job in downtown Chicago. Lifting stuff off a barge in the Chicago river to the roof of Merchandise Mart. Talk about a historic building - biggest in terms of floorspace in the world when built in 1930. Lots of pictures from my work for the Navy too with the old J model Puma.

http://kblackav8or.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Puma-Super-Puma/30151598_hFzrJW

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

A steady breeze of maybe 5-10 knots is ideal. It reduces our power requirement and tends to move the rotor wash away from the crew on the ground and the load.

1986 Peterbilt 359
I do all my own stunts.