Profile Picture

What Am I for Monday 04/08/13

Posted By Jeff Lakaszcyck 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Jeff,

This pic was used in a WAI you posted on FWD using Budd cabs --- WHAT AM I SUNDAY 8/01/10

also this -- Ford designed the C cab, but apparently gave the design to BUDD cabs who then built the cabs for FORD, Mack, FWD and Walther. Most of the FWD and Wither cabs were used in Fire Trucks, I originally thought your picture was a Mack,Knew Ford was too easy. Further research came up with FWD.

I just paraphrased the above from this found on another site---

"The C-Series also had a whole family of badge-engineered doppelgangers. In Canada it was re-tagged Mercury along with the M-Series pickup. The tooling was designed and owned by Ford but manufacturing was outsourced to Budd; other truck OEMs used both the entire cab and portions thereof with approval. Mack used the Cab for their N Model, FWD and Walther used portions of the cab for their airport fire apparatus"

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/689b5c33-6fcf-4158-bc49-b20d.jpg

http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/6e4cdc39-59d7-460d-89cd-d4cc.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4j7mESJuxko/TNn2BMUqU1I/AAAAAAAACrg/6d9d2YmwGuA/s1600/8349%2BFWD%2BFord%2BCAB%2B1983-12-28.JPG

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

I'm where I'm at when I'm all there! But,when I'm here, how can I be all there?

George Murphey --

FWD
Hamish
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
eymurphey (09/04/2013)
Jeff,

This pic was used in a WAI you posted on FWD using Budd cabs --- WHAT AM I SUNDAY 8/01/10

also this -- Ford designed the C cab, but apparently gave the design to BUDD cabs who then built the cabs for FORD, Mack, FWD and Winther. Most of the FWD and Wither cabs were used in Fire Trucks, I originally thought your picture was a Mack,Knew Ford was too easy. Further research came up with FWD.

I just paraphrased the above from this found on another site---

"The C-Series also had a whole family of badge-engineered doppelgangers. In Canada it was re-tagged Mercury along with the M-Series pickup. The tooling was designed and owned by Ford but manufacturing was outsourced to Budd; other truck OEMs used both the entire cab and portions thereof with approval. Mack used the Cab for their N Model, FWD and Walther used portions of the cab for their airport fire apparatus"

George-do they mean Walter rather than Walther?-never heard of Walther trucks-wasn't there a German pistol called a Walther PPK or something like that?
eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)6th Over (2.4K reputation)

Hamish -- Think your query warrants further investigation -- I think you're on to something!!

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Hamish -- If we can trust WIKIPEDIA --

Usage by other manufacturers

Some historians have erroneously referred to the Ford tilt-cab as the "Budd" cab, implying it was an off-the-shelf item available to anyone. However, the C-Series cab was designed by Ford, tooled at its own expense and built by the Budd Company to Ford Motor Company specifications. Other truck manufacturers had to obtain Ford approval before purchasing it. The exception was Mack, which bought most of the major cab stampings from Budd and assembled them itself on a floor pan of its own design. In Canada, the Ford "C" had an identical twin - the Mercury "M" Series offered from 1957 to 1972.

At least four truck makers used the Ford C-Series tilt cab. Best known was the look-alike Mack model "N", which was produced between 1958 and 1962. The Four-Wheel-Drive Auto Company used some Ford "C" cabs which bore the FWD emblems, and Yankee-Walter used C-series cab components on some of its large airport crash trucks. In Canada, the Thibault fire truck manufacturer of Pierreville, Quebec, also used C-series parts for their Custom (i.e. non-commercial chassis) trucks.

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Hamish -- If we can trust WIKIPEDIA --

Usage by other manufacturers

Some historians have erroneously referred to the Ford tilt-cab as the "Budd" cab, implying it was an off-the-shelf item available to anyone. However, the C-Series cab was designed by Ford, tooled at its own expense and built by the Budd Company to Ford Motor Company specifications. Other truck manufacturers had to obtain Ford approval before purchasing it. The exception was Mack, which bought most of the major cab stampings from Budd and assembled them itself on a floor pan of its own design. In Canada, the Ford "C" had an identical twin - the Mercury "M" Series offered from 1957 to 1972.

At least four truck makers used the Ford C-Series tilt cab. Best known was the look-alike Mack model "N", which was produced between 1958 and 1962. The Four-Wheel-Drive Auto Company used some Ford "C" cabs which bore the FWD emblems, and Yankee-Walter used C-series cab components on some of its large airport crash trucks. In Canada, the Thibault fire truck manufacturer of Pierreville, Quebec, also used C-series parts for their Custom (i.e. non-commercial chassis) trucks.

George Murphey --

Hamish
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)13th Over (6.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Thanks George.
Tutlebrain
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Has anybody ever seen one of these things (the 8X6) or are they the trucking industry's equivalent to the unicorn?

Also: I like the cost-cutting excercise of using the European style Budd-to-split rim convertor:)
eymurphey
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Here's an FWD Fire/Crash Truck --

http://yngfire.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8334.0;attach=42194;image

George Murphey --

FWD