Profile Picture

Lemay / Lucky auction in Tacoma WA of 1920 ? Linn

Posted By Linntractornut 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I got to thinking the Reynolds Museum (Alberta) claimed to have a 1920 Linn years ago but other people told me it was a 6 cyl., most likely a model 6-26 or 6-28, anyways the listing doesn't have pictures yet and indicated it is being sold "where it is" which sounds like not at the LeMay car museum? So I'm wondering if it could be the same machine? Yes they did ship Linns to the West Coast c. 1919-1920, and someone could have repowered a 1920 4 cyl. Linn tractor but seems extremely unlikely, I emailed them for confirmation but so far no response. I have learned of a similar vintage machine (logger) that was repowered with a 6 cyl Studebaker bus engine, (and that one was later abandonned in the woods after the guy tried free wheeling on a downgrade but doubt it survived WW2 and Korean War era scrap drives) so anything is possible.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.
Daryl Gushee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
They have a picture of the Linn up now. It's rough. Definitely not a 1920. It looks more like mid to late 30's. The picture is too for away to get a better feel for it. The track adjustment springs are a good give away that it is not a 1920.

There is some other pretty neat stuff in the auction.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I Can Break Anything
Daryl Gushee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)

This is a good picture of the White that was in the auction. I know it came up in a thread somewhere but don't know where.

LOT 306 1920 White Boom Truck 1.JPG

I Can Break Anything
Daryl Gushee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

Here is the Linn tractor that I bought. It is sn/2050 which makes it about a 1931. I hope Linntractornut will give me his input on that.

1540 1920 Linn half ton Dump Truck.jpg

I Can Break Anything
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)Third Gear (347 reputation)

Sorry just checking in (had my head in space on facebook, arguing with the experts, and NO Ison isn't dead dammit :P ) That yellow makes me think of Polson, WA logging museum immediately, Bill Sachse visited there. They aquired theirs through Rayonier Timberlands that took over another firm which had used two Linns to build a railroad right of way, they cannibalized the other and buried it at Crane Creek Reload? or something like that. As for original ownership, it's lucky to have a machine depicted in sales literature, as Linns 2046-2050 model 6-33-DUR were, owned by General Construction Co. of Seattle, WA and originally used on the Bonneville Dam they were later employed on the Grand Coulee project as well. Polson could never give me a serial number, I had guessed at 2049. The LINN "37" model sales booklet, and the earlier fold out posters show these units excavating the dam foundations. The angle iron uprights were added for extra cab roof protection for loading with shovels. I've added a Linn page on facebook, as my opther computer is dead at the moment I have to copy stuff with my camera and export to a laptop and load images ove rthere as I'm at my limit here. But like I said, hit Bill Sachse up for pics, if not the Polson unit it is a sister.

Grew up down the street from the Linn tractor plant, where many relatives and neighbors once worked, and next door to a Linn/Frink Sno-plow/Walter truck agency. I do free look ups of serial numbers, photographic recognition and advise on any Linn related questions you might have, and generally like to locate/excavate/photograph/identify old iron for fun.
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

DEFINTELY checking pictures of Bills, this has to be a sister of the Polson Linn, which maybe Bill sent me the number of? This makes me wonder if the other tractor wasn't buried back in the woods after all?

jhancock
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The White is certainly a Big Hoss!

One of very few no doubt.

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.
Daryl Gushee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

I have the Linn home now. sn/2050.
Rene, your assumptions are spot on.
This is a 6 cylinder Waukesha, 6AB122C. There is a tag on the dash that reads, Property of RAY-O-NEER, tinberlands division. While they were pulling the parts out of the dirt that belong to it they pulled out a pair of tracks and some other stuff that nobody knew were buried behind the Linn.

More pictures...............

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/55cb8948-76f0-4842-bdde-7944.JPG

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/c3ad9a2c-0699-430b-ae49-27ce.JPG

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/1b143155-1eb5-4aea-b0a6-d010.JPG

The crew at Lemay were great. They built this body out of wood and put all the Linn parts they could dig up in it before my truck arrived. Then got the Linn out to a place where it was a simple winch on load.

I Can Break Anything
Linntractornut
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Thanks, that ends one tale of a Linn abandonned in the woods anyways, like I say, pick Bill Sachse's brain on details as he visited the other in Polson. Craigs list has a Bombardier Muskeg tractor up in Taberg NY (above Portner) for $4500 they say they have rebuilt/restored. Some of Wendell Still's relatives (Kwasnukie?) had one years ago, possibly the same?

http://utica.craigslist.org/hvo/4220928292.html