Profile Picture

1935 Gilmore Streamliner Tank Truck -- What is it?

Posted By eymurphey 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Dr. Bento,
That's a nice looking old Mack.  But it looks like you're gonna need a good bicycle pump and a big bottle of Simonize.
Does the Gilmore Mack come a Gilmore girl??  ;)

Slim
Hamish
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)13th direct (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Aaron (5/6/2015)
I finally got pictures of the 1932 Gilmore mack that I had posted about a couple years ago,it had been in storage in a cattle rail car for many years and then the Gilmore people aquired it again, I may have more of a story on it coming.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a14e9b32-8ade-49c7-97a2-d0ef.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b8a82899-c5e3-4f1f-80e8-c12e.jpg

I guess it's an AB-that is one neat old truck.

ScottM
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)Third Gear (265 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Wow, I wish we still saw stuff like this on the highways and roads... The new stuff is just horrendous looking in my mind.

======================
www.cachecreektruckshow.org
Aaron
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)13th direct (3.6K reputation)

I finally got pictures of the 1932 Gilmore mack that I had posted about a couple years ago,it had been in storage in a cattle rail car for many years and then the Gilmore people aquired it again, I may have more of a story on it coming.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a14e9b32-8ade-49c7-97a2-d0ef.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b8a82899-c5e3-4f1f-80e8-c12e.jpg

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
eymurphey
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

Two recent articles from "THE OLD MOTOR"  puts the whole story of the WHITE Gilmore Streamliner together nicely -- Gilmore part 1 & Gilmore part2 

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

I'm where I'm at when I'm all there! But,when I'm here, how can I be all there?

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)6th Over (2.2K reputation)

"GILMORE" ----- All I can say is WOW!!!! I had all but given up hope of finding the actual written proof that this was a WHITE. Do you have any info on what became of this truck after it was acquired by Mobil? I heard a rumor that Mobil scrapped it??? How sad!!!

Trucks, give me trucks!!! --- I'M LIKING TRUCKSWhen we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear---- all too often we miss the point!

George Murphey --

GILMORE
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)First Gear (23 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The truck is/was built on a White chassis (see attached article). As stated before, it was commissioned in 1935 to Standard Auto Body Works, designed by E. W. Miller. It was used for promotional events as well as touring up and down the Pacific Coast, visiting Gilmore stations. Although capable of holding fuel, I'm not sure how much, if ever, fuel it delivered. I have, and have read, many articles stating it did not, while some state it did. Regardless, it was used as an attraction, and was not used for or assigned any particular delivery routes.

John Frances (01/05/2013)
This is an internet picture, Mobiloil colors (Gilmore merged with General Petroleum in 1945) with '48-50 California plates. It has a hexagon hubcap.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/c3f81450-e2f6-47a6-9236-996c.jpg

The rotund man in the photo is A. F. Bach, longtime employee of the Gilmore Co. He worked for Gilmore for more than 20 yrs and then for Mobil, after the merger with Gilmore in 1945. In the 1930's, Bach was the assistant to Gilmore engineer E. J. Sanders. Bach appears in many racing related photos I have from Bonneville to Daytona (Fla), from Ascot to Indy, filling up Gilmore cars with gas/oil.

Attached is a pic of Bach at Indy representing Gilmore.
Attachments
bach.jpg (48 views, 132.00 KB)
1935_11_24_NEW-FUEL-TRUCK.jpg (48 views, 226.00 KB)
eymurphey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Just came across this photo from 1939 -- Earl B. Gilmore with "the truck"

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/8878744486_6cc0cdba43_b.jpg

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

After the frustrating news from OSU library yesterday, I wrote my FLIKR friend asking where he came upon the photo of the partial article from "WESTERN TRUCK OWNER" here is his response.

George,
Unbelieveable! And frustrating. I definitely do not have the rest of the article. What I have came from the archives of the late Fred Crismon and what I put on flickr is what I have. Some of the low-publication magazines of that long ago are difficult to find, but to find one that is missing that very article is beyond frustrating.
Keep up the search and please keep me posted. I'll certainly let you know if I find anything else, but it's doubtful.
Best regards,
Alden

Due to this, and the picture sent to me by Alden also from the archives from Fred Crimson, I believe Fred had what he needed to identify this vehicle as a WHITE. So, unless OSU can come up with the whole article which is doubtful, and after what has been posted here in support of WHITE ----

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8546/8706958967_59a84517dd_b.jpg

THIS TRUCK IS A WHITE!!!

George Murphey --

eymurphey
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

My hopes have been slightly dashed, yes they have the issue of WESTERN TRUCK OWNER I am looking for, but ---

George,
   My apologies again on the delay in getting back to you.   I examined our 1935 issues of Western Truck Owner, and did not find the article you cited.  Upon reexamining the images you sent to me, I realized the reason for this: pages 25, 26, 41, and 42 have been cut and removed from our copy of the journal.  I can only imagine this was done by someone looking for just the article you are interested in.  It seems a very odd coincidence, given the specificity of your request, and can only imagine you are not the only individual interested in this truck.Unfortunately, this leads us to a bit of a quandary in terms of getting you this article in its full form.  I have notified our Interlibrary Services team, who work to acquire and replace missing parts of our items in situations like this.  Generally speaking, they are very good about acquiring replacements, but the current rarity of this publication may make for a unique challenge.  Still, I have been assured that there is someone in the department who has a knack for finding rare items, and she is on the case.  I have asked to be kept up to date with this search process, and will forward along to you any news I receive.  In the meantime, I will double check other sources to see if, by any strange chance, this article can be found elsewhere.Please keep in touch if you have any further questions or information on the topic of this article.  I will contact you again when I get news.
Best,Nick Wilkenson
Coordinator, Research ServicesThe Ohio State University Libraries 221 Thompson Library, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, OH 43210

George Murphey --