Profile Picture

Cummins NHRS engines in Mack chassis

Posted By 45LMSWM 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thank you for the replies. I have the correct flywheel housing, flywheel, and fan drive set up to use this engine in the Mack. Engine also came equipped with a compressor as the Letourneau scraper had air brakes.

I think most of the differences are in the front cover/accesory drive. I will try and get the serial numbers off the engine over the weekend.

-John
Jeeperscreepers
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
John, Wayne is correct. I have two of them, HRBB-600's, in my trucks. I don't have any pictures of the engines that show much but if you're not in a great hurry, I'll take some Friday and try to post them. One engine has a PT pump and the other has a double disc pump.

Dan Cornett
wayne graham
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Also if it came out of const equipment it probably has a push fan which will have to be changed. I have no idea which balancers could be run on that engine or for which application. Like Aaron said perhaps Glenn or one of the guys could run some numbers. I think Dan Cornett has one of these in his Hi Binder. Wayne

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Aaron
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
There may be a lot of changes to make from a construction to automotive engine, front cover may be one, the flywheel housing may be another, compressor if it doesn't have one, the ballancer shouldn't be a problem, timing could be another. If you had a serial # Glenn might be able to trace it or at least a CPL on it.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
jhancock
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)6th Over (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Maybe try Red Smith 860-573-8017 for some info.

Jim

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.
45LMSWM
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)First Gear (6 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have a 1953 Mack that was originally equipped with a Cummins NHRBS-600. At some point, the original engine failed and was replaced with a naturally aspirated Cummins.

I have a Cummins NHRS-6-BI that I am planning to use in place of the original engine, which came out of a LeTourneau scraper. I have the correct fan drive parts for use in my Mack, but I would like to know if there are any other differences in the front drive components that I need to change over. For one, the crankshaft dampener on the NHRS-6-BI is HUGE. Looks like nothing I have ever seen.

Does anyone have any pics of what the front of one of these engines should look like in a Mack, or in any truck application for that matter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John