Profile Picture

Cummins Pumps and Turbos

Posted By kblackav8or 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
Dan, For what it is worth I bought a new one from Area Diesel in Carlinville for 1100 and some. He was out of re-mans or it would have been less. Wayne

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Dan Bruno
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)Third Gear (338 reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
Yesterday, my 444 blew its BHT4B turbo about an hour west of St. Louis. Sheared the turbo shaft off immediately behind the compressor wheel.

I was at the shop when the driver called. I pulled my dual entry turbo off of my BC2 300 CPL 471 and brought it out to the truck. Mounted up in about 15 minutes and we bobtailed it back to St. Louis. It was a choice of either capping the oil line and running back no turbo or this. Granted it was bobtail, but it went very well.

Finding all sorts of cross-referenced turbos out there. All of the Cummins cross references call for an HT3 turbo, including on the reference sheet above. Cummins wants $1718 for a turbo, so I bought a Borg Warner rebuild off of eBay to give a shot for about 1/3 of the cost.

Curious to see how this works pulling chips.

Dan Bruno
St. Louis, MO
The Duck Reborn - 06/07/19

TonyJ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)Second Gear (140 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
OLPs59KW (16/07/2013)
The throttle was quite sluggish on the 220 in my 59 KW so I swapped out the fuel pump from my parts engine I got from Kevin. Looks like it has been rebuilt so put it on and the throttle response is worse. So looks like I am going to have to change those 54 year old fuel lines., maybe warranty?? LOL!!! Oh ya now that I changed the fuel pump, the rear seal on the compressor is now leaking and dripping oil out the drain hole in the adaptor. Surprise surprise . LOL Oh well the 54 year old compressor is due for a rebuild ( too much oil in the compressed air.) Will put the one from the parts eng. on for now and see how it does. Looking forward to getting the turbo and jakes on as well. Should be done with a bunch of other projects I've been working on in a few weeks and can then get back on the KW. Tony what did you use to polish the exhaust manifold? Looks really sharp!!

Sorry about slow response time The polished and ported exhaust manifold was bought from Pitttsburg Power

Tony J / Greasegun 
glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
That would be a lower press fit liner.

Glenn Akers
kblackav8or
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If I ever rebuild my engine, I will have it done to the best fixed timing CPL specs you guys suggest and apply any other upgrades that are considered sound as necessary. I was always happy with my CPL 625 400 in my 81. A liner upgrade and having the block cut so it doesn't ooze coolant anymore would be part of the plan.

1959 Kenworth CC-925 60's tribute truck, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064

glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Needle-Nose (30/07/2013)
Wayne several year's ago I saw guy's go the other way and re-build their 350's with 400 piston's, go with 400 pump and injector's not change the timing thinking they would have a ground shaker and basically they built themselve's a "Train-Wreck"
I had a know it all full fledge truck mechanic say to me timing don't have nothen to do with it.First thing I know is one of his better than any engine comes out to me on a hook.He said it had run out of coolant. I show him were the pistons was cracked on top and scored in the ring area as well as on the skirts.He replyed who knows what happened.I built it back to specs and drivers was happy even tho it didn't smoke like before.Smoke is money.I will try to copy cummins piston vers cpl replacement #s if I can figure how to do it.Many of the replacement piston can be used on different models or HPs because their bowl is a design to fit many different timing and injector arrangements.Other words there is not that many pistons any more for a replacement.

Glenn Akers
Needle-Nose
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)

Wayne several year's ago I saw guy's go the other way and re-build their 350's with 400 piston's, go with 400 pump and injector's not change the timing thinking they would have a ground shaker and basically they built themselve's a "Train-Wreck"

Be careful when you follow the MASSES......sometimes the "M" is silent.

wayne graham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
We used to build big cam 400's with 350 pistons. The 2 reasons were to get better Jake response and considerably easier starting up here in cold weather. If I had lived farther south and stayed out of cold weather probably would not have fooled with it. Wayne

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Needle-Nose
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)5th Direct (803 reputation)

As far as advantage or disadvantage between different model's there really isn't any. They all do the same thing which is hold the exhaust valve's slightly open on the compression stroke there by eliminating the combustion end of thing's and turning the engine into a big air compressor. As Glen said, the main difference in it's performance would be the r.p.m. of your engine while it's engaged as well as the cubic inch displacement and compression. I have driven 2-Stroke Detroit's where the Jake had about the same effect as baseball card's slapping up against wheel spoke's and the opposite to that was a big cubic inch Cummins K-Model that had hold back that was second to none. My last 550 Cat's I never ran above 1650 r.p.m. on the pull give or take but while up against the Jake down a hill the r.p.m. was usually around the 2100 mark for the best Jake performance. The last one was equipt as well with a Brake-Saver and when on the downhill with Jake, Fan, and Retarder all tuned in there where very few who could follow.

Be careful when you follow the MASSES......sometimes the "M" is silent.

kblackav8or
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
My question was assuming all things the same, just different models of Jake. Other then compatibility of the 425A's with twin inlet turbos' any advantage or disadvantage to using them? I have a brand new set in the box that I will probably get put on eventually when I get any top end work done.

1959 Kenworth CC-925 60's tribute truck, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064