Profile Picture

Latest addition: 1978 W900A flatbed.

Posted By TommyZ 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Here we go again...more iron. Only this time, I swapped one for one, lol. Sold the 1973 CO4070A cabover to a happy customer in Buffalo, NY on 9-28-13 which drove her home to become his new pulling tractor transporter.

The following day, I purchased a 1978 W900A with a 24' industrial rollback/flatbed body. It needs what it needs...but I attacked it like a lion on a wounded zebra and managed to whip it into useable shape in between my 60 hrs./5 days employment ball-and-chain, for a maiden voyage a month later on 10-20-13.

It has a 3406 PCTA that runs beautifully. 12513 speed, Rockwell 4:33's. KW spring suspension.

Interior is actually very nice, nothing beat or worn very badly at all. New drivers seat, floor mat is excellent too. Dash just needs touching up and it's all there. But there was PLENTY to address on the outside:

First, I replaced a rotted piece of exhaust elbow right after the turbo. Next, I replaced a right-front drive wheel seal that had been spewing 90W oil for who knows how long. Well, long enough that when I drained the front diff. to change the oil and add Lucas, it only had a gallon left in it and it holds 5... (that was close.)

Went on to replace some hydraulic lines for the winch, tinkered with some lights, and had to quickly strap an air tank back up that was hanging in mid air by the lines.

Next project getting done this week is exhaust manifold gaskets and new stainless steel stud kit. That will complete the exhaust and make smoke go up now, instead of sideways in every direction.

I'm finding this truck to be handier than a shirt pocket as someone else stated. Moving 3 trucks with it today on it's first official mission, and bringing a 20 ft. storage box home at the end.

Near future plans for improvements include a new front gullwing bumper, dual exhaust, and all new lighting in the rear...doors need to be touched up due to removing lettering that didn't cooperate very nicely. Stainless bowtie visor eventually, all the front grill chrome will be replaced too. Should definitely be a head-turner after it's done, to those that enjoy the old A models like I do.

"Wait till you see THIS one, honey...!"
Rusty Nail
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Can't wait to see it in person, gotta love the A models.
Freightrain
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Nice....and like you found out.........something like this comes in handier then you think.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
John Woge
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)Fourth Gear (416 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Real nice !

love the color combo

John
wayne graham
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Looks like you made a real good move there. Always will be my favorite truck. Wayne

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
jhancock
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
A fellow I know looked at that truck when it was for sale. The KW owner said he hauled lumber for Cowls but that business was way down because of the housing market.

He said it was in pretty good shape and wanted to buy it. He wanted a Kenworth but the reality of his work really only required a medium duty truck.

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.
TommyZ
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)

jhancock (21/10/2013)
A fellow I know looked at that truck when it was for sale. The KW owner said he hauled lumber for Cowls but that business was way down because of the housing market.

He said it was in pretty good shape and wanted to buy it. He wanted a Kenworth but the reality of his work really only required a medium duty truck.

It was in "OK" shape when it was for sale a year ago, then it was bought in between me having it by someone who never registered it, used it on a farm plate a little, and had plans but really never did anything with it. I caught it just in time from blowing the front rear from running it with a bad seal for too long, and it had a laundry list of stuff it needed to make it roadworthy. It's still a work-in-progress, but it's useable now...used it quite seriously actually on 10-20-13.

Currently getting exhaust gaskets and new stud kit done. Plan on keeping this one.√

TommyZ
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Freightrain (20/10/2013)
Nice....and like you found out.........something like this comes in handier then you think.

Didn't take me long to figure that one out...√

TommyZ
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

70Pete359 (20/10/2013)
Can't wait to see it in person, gotta love the A models.

You obviously saw it for sure now...LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NyIL_XOt00

Rusty Nail
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)Second Gear (165 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sure did, we'll have to get some more videos this weekend to compare the before and after with the manifold gaskets.