Profile Picture

1948 White WB28T

Posted By Jeff Lakaszcyck 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 15 hours ago
The things I wonder about on the White 700 and W series front hook bolts, or cap screws, is that the hook pulls the bolt in pure tension.  Ordinary tow hooks have the bolts in shear, but also gets a lot more shear strength from the friction of the hook clamped to the frame.

Second, the White hook cap screws screw into a blind hole in the front crossmember casting.  If the bolts stay tight and not jerked or pushed sideways excessively they probably hold up well, but I'm thinking if the hook was jerked or bolt had side load, it might distort or strip the threads and would need a helicoil to repair.  With the fender metal surrounding the bolt holes, the truck looks like it's saying "oh no!" (right before it got hit or jerked)

Jeff, are you saying that your hooks bent but the threads were still good? 

Enclosed is a picture of my 1942 722, which would be similar to a W 28.  Hooks and bumper missing and the hook bolt holes look worn/distorted.  Also notice the shopmade grill.  They actually did a nice job.  This truck may have had a heavy bumper or fixture for winch and excavator work.

Bruce
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/43504367-56db-4bec-8e1a-28cc.jpg

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 45 minutes ago
Bruce, three of my four hooks were broken. One of these had broken bolts as well. Unfortunately the broken bolts are on the WB so I will have to drill them out. Or, I could just swap the front crossmember from the WC28.

Jeff
Shifty
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)Fourth Gear (590 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Jeff
I got an idea these things are scarce, and I think the WC 22 ones fasten to the top of the frame, and are different..
I've been moving the truck when I need to by throwin' a choker over the hook, and towing it with my skidsteer, and then pushing it with a tire in the bucket when it's time to go back in the garage.

Yes those are NOS 10X22 sneekers.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/7a45674a-b4f4-4cb8-a12b-ad66.jpg
Eddy Lucast
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Jeff there's an older ATHS member in Guilford who restores old trolley cars. He has a CT Electric so we visit on occasion. He makes patterns and has a foundry that cast part's for him. Ken knows him.

Chopped Liver, I've got my own rope thank you very much.
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Tony Bullard
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think Eddy's on to something. Steve would know but I don't think you'd have to make a new pattern. The foundry could make a sand core mold from Jeff's one good piece. It looks like the left and right are symmetrical. It doesn't look like this would be a hard or expensive job for a gray iron foundry. If they had to make a stronger alloy for cast steel that would be another story. The cast iron tow hook isn't as strong as cast or forged steel. Maybe that is why Jeff has three broken ones.

Tony
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
They could be cast using an original as a pattern, but the reproductions will be slightly smaller than the original. (approx 2%) The big problem is they wouldn't be strong enough to be useful if they were cast in iron. Cast steel will be better, but I suspect the originals were forged, and that would get expensive.
If you want them just for looks, cast aluminum is easier and looks the same after you paint them. (I'm not volunteering LOL)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Bruce Ohnstad
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I looked on my WB 22 and the bumper is held with two bolts horizontal into the front crossmember bracket.  The hook clamps on top of the frame with two other bolts.

Bruce
Eddy Lucast
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)13th Over (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
hello

hello

hello

This vehicle has been reported as an abandoned or neglected truck.

If you know the owner of this vehicle please respond to the proper authorities.

If you are the owner(s) of this jewel be advised you are required to hug and kiss said vehicle at least once a day. Please be advised you are required to report it's condition and activity at least once a week!

THIS NOTICE WAS POSTED SEPTEMBER 10th, 2016

Chopped Liver, I've got my own rope thank you very much.
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)6th Over (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Oh look, a squirrel!!!!!!!! LOL

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 45 minutes ago
Life takes some funny turns. There you are, fat, dumb, and happy, lovingly tending to the old girl, when an old acquaintance pops up, one you have admired from afar never thinking they could be yours. Then it happens - you've got a shot, and you take it, and before you know it you have her ! You think you can keep both happy, but it never works out, one is always far more needy and demands all your attention. And the old girl sits, forlornly, waiting for the day she can be the sparkle in your eye again.

Squirrell ???? Where ??

Where can I store these all these Federal parts ?
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/2db4f5a8-6461-4aae-b127-d0e4.jpg

Always looking over her shoulder for the new girl .....
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6c3a2f26-d5e6-4433-8b80-4608.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
Parts Storage.jpg (4 views, 145.00 KB)
Lurking In the Shadows.jpg (4 views, 160.00 KB)