Profile Picture

Old Cummins engine identification help

Posted By bakerlivestock 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
As Glenn said loosen the bolts around the water pump and turn it to tighten the belt, quite often its not that easy,the pump siezes up in the bore and you sometimes have to use a hammer and long drift to get it to move,unfortunality you can break the ears and or the housing,I ha done stuck so tight I had to pull the radaiter and smack the damm thing side to side to get it out,I did save it though. The brass rings are sometimes hard to get, the new breed of parts guy has no idea what those are,if the belts not too loose I might lean towards leaving it.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 1 minute ago
If there is no idler pulley for the belts then you can loosen the six 3/8 bolts around the water pump that goes thru the fan braketaround the pump and turn the pump.The pump is on a ectentrit design and it will tighten the belts by rotating the pump CCW from the front.If it will not tighen replace the belt and the belt has to be the proper size and length.The pump will have slots in the front for a large screw driver and don't be surpriced if the sealing ring leaks when you tighten it even if you tighten it little at a time all around.

Glenn Akers
bakerlivestock
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks again for all the information. Steve, Iwill see if I can get a picture in the next day or two. What got me started on this is that on my engine there is no idler pulley on the belt between the cam pulley and the accessory drive pulley and when it's cold the belts squeal. I started trying to find what to do and ran into the water pump question which led to the engine size question. Still trying to figure out how to tighten the belts though, so if anyone can give me some direction on that it would be appriciated. Thanks Mark
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

The water pump won't tell you much,same pump for a 250 to a 335,350 pumps were different.
 Water pump diamiter changed with the engine bore the 855's and a 5 1/2 bore so did the pump, the 743's had a 5 1/8 bore so did the pump and the H's had  a 4 7/8 bore and pump.

glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

SteveW (3/14/2014)
Do you have a pic of the water pump ? I have the same problem, no id plate, but I also do not have any numbers on the block. So I have no clue what I have, but I think it is a 335 as well. If you can thanks, tying to narrow it down

look for a number that is stamped in the block and later engines used a eight digit number. Maybe from the mid sixtys back they used a six digit number and it could be below the head and in front of the air compressor or in the middle of the block just below the heads. If its a eight digit number it will be on the left side rear just below the head. If you find that then post it.

Glenn Akers
SteveW
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)First Gear (41 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Do you have a pic of the water pump ? I have the same problem, no id plate, but I also do not have any numbers on the block. So I have no clue what I have, but I think it is a 335 as well. If you can thanks, tying to narrow it down
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Yes to both questions
855's started in 1960 with the build of the 250's, around 1964 the 335's came out,about 69 the 350 was born.

bakerlivestock
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)First Gear (8 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Thanks for the response. I'm always amazed at the amount of information that yall have and thanks for sharing. Now on to the next question ,. With a 1969 build date this will be an 855' engine correct? Also it will have oil cooled pistons as well? Thanks again Mark
Jim Rose
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If it is the 5 1/2 inch bore 335 it will have oil cooled pistons, internal fuel lines and the long oil cooler with the water outlet at the rear of the cooler.
glenn akers
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

bakerlivestock (3/11/2014)
I bought an old Peterbilt [67 281] with a Cummins engine, it was supposed to be a 335 [ and could be one] , but I could use some help ID' ing it. There is no tag on the fuel pump and the only numbers I can find on it are stamped on the left front #650617. It has a n old style water pump like a 220 or 262. Is this a small bore 335 or something else ? It seems to run well and so far I'm happy with it but would like to know for sure what it is. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Mark

Engine Dataplate  ESN: 650617
Model NameShop OrderBuild Plant
NTC-335ESN650613CEP - Columbus Engine Plant
Build DateFuel Pump Part #Fuel Pump Calibration
28 Jan 1969BM70486/17
Engine Configuration #
NTC-335

Glenn Akers