Profile Picture

Advice on Batteries, Cooling System, and Fuel System - Bringing the "Old Buggie" Back to Life

Posted By OldBuggie73 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Advice on Batteries, Cooling System, and Fuel System - Bringing the...

Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)Third Gear (317 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I've tried to run 2 batteries in my 3406, but it takes 3 to get a good roll on the engine, warm or not. I've run 3 batteries on winter trips to Colorado with no problem as long as you plug the engine in a few hours beforehand.  As far as the coolant, you need to keep a good 50/50 mix in the engine to protect the aluminum inside. Never store an engine without coolant.   I've seen several perfectly good engines with wet sleeves ruined because the rubber dried out and cracked while stored with the coolant drained. 

All I need is one more Good Deal and I'll be out of Business.

I'll stick with the old and they can stick the new.
OldBuggie73
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks to all of you for your advice! 
OldBuggie73
Jim Baker
J Hall
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
That old, it could still have the series/parallel switch, but two good group 31s should do the job.
Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 13 minutes ago
Unlikely but if the generator has lost its residual magnetism it will have to be polarized again. Most Delco  generators use a Type "A" circuit.

as explained here:

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/728e3df9-05eb-4351-a5c6-1ffe.jpg

and are recharged and polarized this way:
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8637b6f8-a825-4563-912a-71a0.jpg

Tony
Attachments
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Jim, you might think about putting two group 31  12 volt batts in they are about the best of the batterys and are 950 to 1000 cranking amps,two should do the job and if need be you could  add a 3rd later.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Eddy Lucast
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)13th Over (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Why pay to add a bunch of chemicals to the radiator when you don't know whether its going to dump everything on the ground or not.

The fuel might be pre low sulfer, if it is I'd put some in a clear glass jar. If you don't see stuff floating in it, run it. Otherwise filter it one tank to another and buy a bunch of fuel filters.

http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 13 minutes ago
As far as the cooling system goes I would just add enough water so you can see it above the core. When it heats it will expand and fill it more. Only the water evaporated, not the antifreeze.

The Aeroquip FC350 and FC355 FMVSS-106 Type AII hoses have a patented "AQP" elastomer liner that should still be good with the new fuel. I'd just run it.

Tony
chocko
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)5th Over (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I live in Penna. and run 3 12 volt in my work truck. It starts in zero or below even if I let it sit a week or so. I found cheapest place for new batteries is International when on sale.They were in the $70.00 + range with a core. Joe D.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)13th direct (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
As far as the generator, you shouldn't have to do anything. Even sitting for 11 years it should start working fine. You only "polarize" when the genny is 1st placed on the truck or if the polarity has been changed (like from + ground to - ground).
I have no recomendation on batterys other then to stick with flooded cell batterys. Age is going to be a factor with your application and I don't think glass matt will last long enough to pay you back for the price differance.
OldBuggie73
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)First Gear (51 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm ready to start reviving my old truck, which has been sitting for an extended resting period (11 years), and I'm looking for some advice. It is a '66 W923, with a 3406B engine, and it is still running the original Delco generator (rebuilt many times!).   

So first, I need to get some new batteries.  The charging / starting system has already been converted to 12 volts.  The truck won't be seeing much driving action for the near future (and won't be used for more than just local driving for truck shows etc), but in the short term, I need to be able to move it around the yard occasionally.  I want to keep the generator.  I expect that I will be pulling the batteries and bringing them home to put on charge whenever I think the truck will be sitting more than a few weeks without starting it up (no electricity where I park the truck).  

Pop ran 4 each group 31C (3/8 studs) standard commercial batteries (950 CCA), but he was up in the cold northeast, I am in usually hot central Texas.  I was thinking 4 each 825 CCA batteries would be better than 950 CCA (or more) batteries due to the heat.  I am also wondering about the AGM type vs standard type batteries, are the AGM batteries worth doubling the price of the batteries ($115 vs $199)?   Will I need a special battery charger for the AGM battery?  One more question, regarding the generator relay - I seem to remember Pop telling me about grounding out one of the terminals on the regulator to reset it, especially if it had not been used in a long time to charge, but not why or which terminals. 

Next, I know the cooling system has evaporated enough coolant so that i can't see it when I remove the cap.  And what I can see of the core is kind of crusty looking.  No water in the crankcase.  Should I drain and refill before starting the engine, or should  I top it off and run it a bit at temperature, and then either put some conditioning chemical flush in the coolant, and then drain and refilll?  There is no water to hook a hose to either, so will be bucket brigade if I need to flush it.

Lastly (for now), I have a 1/2 tank of fuel on board, about 40 gal.  I last put fuel in the tank in Sept 1998.  The fuel is very dark, but I don't think there is any new kind of life living in it yet.  I plan to pump it out of the one tank to the other, using a water / dirt filter (10 micron) to clean it up.  I have heard that today's Diesel fuel isn't my father's Diesel fuel (literally!), and that it can eat up the rubber.  Do I need to put some Power Services or some kind of fuel stabilizer in the fuel?  The fuel line from the tank to the injector pump is Aeroquip braided hose, pre-1998 for sure, maybe pre-1995.  Should I replace the fuel hose, or will it be OK with my next tank of today's fuel?

Thanks in advance for your input! 

OldBuggie73
Jim Baker