Profile Picture

Freightliner Airliner ride height adjustment.

Posted By TommyZ 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Geoff Weeks (02/09/2012)
So, lets hear about the two KW's and the IHC in the backround. ALways intrested in cabovers.

There's one KW and one Freightliner here currently, the IH is in another location and I need to get her home soon. Hopefully in the next couple of weekends.

"Wait till you see THIS one, honey...!"
Attachments
Orange Hubs 5.6.12. #2.jpg (26 views, 66.00 KB)
Geoff Weeks
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
So, lets hear about the two KW's and the IHC in the backround. ALways intrested in cabovers.
TommyZ
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)Second Gear (116 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago

I diverted all my energy and attention to my other truck, an '81 K100C Aerodyne for the past 2 weeks steady. Did a TON of things I wouldn't have normally gotten into had I not had 2 weeks off the regular "job". The FL will be back in the picture as soon as I finish the KW a little more. Multi-tasking sometimes is a tough deal. Thanks Geoff.

"Wait till you see THIS one, honey...!"
Geoff Weeks
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)13th direct (3.7K reputation)

Been a coupla weeks now, Did anybody hear if he got it sorted out?
Aaron
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)13th direct (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
For not working on anything newer than 70 your in the right place Tony, I with you on that.
On this particular suspension the valve arm is on the cross beam, not on the rear end housing, they weren't set up that way.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 minutes ago
Thanks Wayne, I learn something new all the time on this forum. That's what I like about it. Actually I've never worked on an air ride in my life. Half of all the BS I say on here is just practical pneumatic, hydraulic and mechanical knowledge mixed with a little physics 101. I haven't worked on a truck newer than 1970. Thanks again Wayne. Tony

Tony
wayne graham
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Tony, I do not want to muddy up the water as Geoff is explaining it quite well but about all leveling valve control rods nowadays are on the cross beam. New leveling valves come with extra holes or extra levers to change the geometry of which you speak. You are absolutely correct about pivot position or the arm length. The way he has the valve and rod mounted is how the new ones come and makes it very accessible for maintenance as the valves do not last like they used to. Something about made in China or Mexico. Wayne

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

The valve is very simple. The arm is connected to a "T: shaped lever inside. The top and bottom fitting go to a valve cores like in tires... When the arm is up (suspension too low) the T pushes on the end of the LOWER valve core, opening that passage to the center outlet, allowing air into the bags, When the arm is down (Bags too high) the other end of the T hits the valve core in the upper passage allowing air to flow from the bags to the vent tube. In the center, both valve cores are seated.

This is slightly over simplifed but is the basic opperation of the valve. So you see the bags MUST be the center port (again sorry about my mistake) and the exhaust MUST be the top port.

Here is a picture with the ports labled if you don't believe me:

http://www.anythingtruck.com/commercial/susp-levelingvalves.mv

It matters not if it is used on the left or right, the top is ALWAY the exhaust.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

No, the top port is always the exhaust port. When you flip the valve side to side the ports change because the valve is now upside down compared to how it was on the other side.

You have it plumbed backwards and it will do what you say.

I did have a brain fart however, the BAGS go to the center port, the air in go to the BOTTOM port. Sorry about that. It was a long day.

And NO you don't have it plumbed right!
Tony Bullard
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 minutes ago
Tommy definitely move the tab off the beam, and onto the axle housing. The beam travels about twice as far as the axle does, in relation to the frame. This amount of travel is more than the travel of the valve arm. Follow Geoffs advice.

"Your linkage should be such that fully deflated, to max height (not running height, but the max the suspension can travel) should move the arm thru 45 degs, where the design height is exactly 1/2 way. Design your linkage accordingly. Never swing the arm thru 180 deg. "

You may even have to lengthen the valve actuating arm to achieve this.

If your total travel between the frame and the axle is 8" your arm should be 5.65". 10" = 7", 12" = 8.5" arm. This based on + - 45* travel from neutral. If your valve doesn't travel 90* you'll have to use longer arms. Having it too sensitive will make it hunt and waste air at every bump.

Tony