Profile Picture

Door lock cylinders for International Harvester

Posted By oldtrucknut74 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)

Group: Anonymous / Guest
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The door cylinders for my truck arrived today in the mail. I discovered that the original driver's side one worked with the ignition key and the passenger side cylinder works but it has difficulty with the key sliding into it. I used the passenger one as a reference in my search. I replaced the passenger side with one of the two that I arrived in the set. The cylinders fit a Jeep CJ5/CJ7 hardtop. Perfect match to the existing cylinders. I now have a spare cylinder for the future. I put the original driver's side cylinder back into the door. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8e083f94-12c6-43cd-96e2-ddd3.jpg

Thomas Hudgins
1970 Chevrolet K20 
1974 International F4270 Eagle

rubbishman
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I just got through doing the lock thing on my IH. The cylinders at least on all the older Harvestors were Briggs & Stratton ( yes the same as the lawnmower) and is now Stratec. The key blanks are "3 Groove" and code number can be matched if you want the factory code shown on the line set ticket which I have for mine. I luckily found a locksmith who understood and was able to order the door cylinders and blanks. My series of cabs used a spring steel ring holding the cyl into the push button that I had to "blacksmith" since they are of course no longer available. 

Strattec has a website with little info but they have catalog scans going way back that will show the lock catalog numbers, this is assuming your truck being newer than 1971 has B&S locks. 

My door handles also have that KB Co. on them and I remember the Cargostar had those flush pulls like yours and they were the same as on my mother's 74 AMC Gremlin!

H.S.Blake

H.S.Blake
1971 IH VCO(T)-190 Leach 2R Packmaster
Fawnskin, CA 6,750 feet above tidewater
oldtrucknut74
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)Fourth Gear (441 reputation)

Group: Anonymous / Guest
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I took out both cylinders this evening and am looking at replacement cylinders online. Thanks for the tip Daryl but I'm going to get replacement ones. I found some from GM that might work on eBay and Summit Racing. I like these because they come in black - Standard Motor Door Lock Cylinders DL7B I took off both door handles and put them back on without the locks. Check out the AMC part number on the picture of the door handle. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b1ce6ff5-cba4-4ac2-a8ad-643f.jpg

Thomas Hudgins
1970 Chevrolet K20 
1974 International F4270 Eagle

Tony Bullard
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I guess I won't be parking my truck next to Daryl's at owl's head this year. Sounds like he knows his way in and out of trucks. LOL

Tony
Daryl Gushee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)5th Direct (754 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Tom, Most IH trucks of that era use 1 of several fleet keys. Chances are your doors use one of those. I bet your dealer will let you try what they have in stock to find out. If that doesn't work here is the cheap way out.............Remove your door lock tumblers..............First get the lock out of the door then find the pinhole. Push a needle or small wire in the hole to release the tumbler.  You will be holding a small cylinder with small slots that you can see brass inside. Put your ignition key in the tumbler. Using a flat file, file off the brass that the ignition key forces out thru the slots. Now your doors will open with the same key as your ignition.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I Can Break Anything
Luch
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)First Gear (61 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Oldtrucknut74 - I was in the same boat as you. I pulled a worn out cylinder and brought it to a local Locksmith who has a good reputation. I had the lock cylinders in the doors but only an ignition key....Locksmith ended up fitting a key to the cylinder and I was charged close to $50.00 for the job. Part of my fault, but during the three day process I was examining the other cylinder and the doors on an 80's Mustang I was working on at the time...realized the truck cylinder mounting tab on the back was basically worn and I could have never got the clip to hold the linkage on - reason I guess the stuff was flapping around in the door when I bought truck. Upon return to the Locksmith he had fitted another ignition style key to the cylinder...dumb move there, and I commented that the back did not look like it was going to work for that clip - he agreed and said that it probably was not going to work for me. I got into a 'conversation' about why did you even do the job for me then? Things ended up working in my favor but that's not the point.
What I did do and would recommend to you or anyone else interested in this type of replacement is (and my experience is with my 79 International 4070 only) is that I pulled my cylinder from the other door and scowerd the ebay listings. It was pretty easy as I narrowed down the results to Ford lock cylinders from the 70's and got the complete kit for I think $30.00 - all new with keys.
What I did to make it work was elongate the portion on the back so that the key travel would work with the mechanism in the door (linkage) to the lock. A little trial on the first door and second was perfect. The cylinder ift perfectly into the door/handle portion clip and all. If you don't mind carrying the small rounded Ford key on your chain this was a very easy and cheap solution.
If you have any questions let me know...

Chris

~1979 International Transtar 4070B with a non-leaking DD 6V92~
Freightrain
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Most any lock can be rekeyed by a reputable locksmith.  Typically there is a clip in the door jam that you pull outward with pliers and slip the lock out.  I had to have my B model rekeyed years back, then the bunk I put on a few years ago needed keys made.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Geoff Weeks
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)13th direct (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
You can pull the lock cyl and take to a locksmith along with your gn key and get them re-coded to the ign lock also.
fuelem7
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)Second Gear (132 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
easy change,usually come in a set of 3. 2 doors and 1 ignition all keyed the same.doors have clips on the inside jam.
jhancock
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have never worked on IH lock cylinders but check with a local locksmith on making some keys for you.  I have taken some nasty cylinders to one near me and he has always been able to make some keys.

Jim

*Always think for yourself. Don't trust the government.