Profile Picture

1948 Federal 25M

Posted By Vintagefarmer 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Alright, I guess Ill start from the top eh? haha Que 1948, a red Federal rolled off the assembly line destined for Emerson, North Dakota. It was used for a number of years before being sold to is second owner, a man of the same locale. He used it in parades and such for around... I think it was 5 years or so before he put it up for sale. That was 1976 IIRC. It was then sold to its 3rd owner who basically brought it home to his massive collection of random stuff and just let is sit out in a field. The man died and the truck was sold yet again in the late 90s to the man I purchased, or traded rather, the truck from. He contacted me through a Craigslist ad I had posted looking for heavy, old chevy 2 ton trucks. I had always wanted one and decided I could trade my Farmall H for one. He sent me an email informing me that he had a federal truck. Curious, being that I had never seen, nore heard of one before. I googled it and then decided I wanted the truck. A month later I took delivery of the truck and he took away the tractor back to his house. There was a second set of halfway decent tires that he said could be used as rollers along with buckets of random parts. As time progressed I put what I could back together and eventually got the lumbering behemoth running after having sat since the late 90s when it drove itself on the trailer after the massive ND flood. It had not moved more then a few feet since the 70s, so this was a momentous accomplishment for an 18 year old.

I posted this truck on the stovebolt website, thinking it was the best place for info, but I didnt garner much since it was so brand specific. So, I figure this would be an even better place.

Here is the truck as I first saw it.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f274efe8-e482-4315-9975-97c5.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8b1c1681-76bd-4768-9251-d5ab.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0c3d4ae7-dc4d-4a27-8a0b-89d3.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f1a8f86d-6b69-4b1a-95a2-98f2.jpg

Fastforward to this fall and here is it.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/286cc315-85bb-437e-a010-ff83.jpg

The old Hercules Flathead 6 runs halfway decent if it wernt for the dead No.6 cylinder. It pops, backfires but somehow manages to move itself along. I got the brakes all put back together after rebuilding every cylinder and re-plumbing the entire thing, but they still suck haha. The stuff I have completed so thusfar includes brakes, completely rewiring the entire truck, getting it running, fluid changes all the way around, repacking the front wheel bearings and such.

There is a plan in the works that might completely negate all the work I have done to the chassis but we will see what comes of it. It includes a Marmon Herrington ford from 47...
Bruce Ohnstad
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
That looks great.  Your able to have fun while you are improving it.  Federals were a good solid truck, good looking, and rare enough to catch a lot of interest.

Bruce
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Brakes on a truck that size should put you in the windshield, I would think it might have a vacume booster or a hydrovac if so it might need attention also.
 And you came to the right place

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Vintagefarmer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)First Gear (32 reputation)

Well, I guess the brakes work very well, and I did just pull the booster out from under KB5 and bolt and plumb it in. SO I guess I was kinda hoping it wouldnt need a rebuild but I am probably wrong. When you hit the brakes you there is no air being pulled through the hose leading to the booster, and when you throttle it up a bit it sucks tons of air. I honestly have no idea how the boosters work.
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)Rocket Scientist (14.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
That's a great truck, it looks very original and unmolested. Not much rust either. Was it originally a fire truck ? If so it probably has very low miles. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeff
Vintagefarmer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

If I can trust what the Odometer says, its got all of 5k on it. But all the internals on the speedo are hashed and the needle just flops around now so I dont know if thats true or not.. haha
Aaron
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)13th direct (4.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I don't know if the booster from and IH is going to work in the DT, mainly because of wheel cylinders sizes the booster is designed for a certain application, if you can put a picture of it on here. If you don't have the right one or if that one needs work call Power Brake Sales  in Sacramento Ca, talk to Sandy he will know of the correct booster for that and if the one you have will work for it and they rebuild them there also, a couple weeks ago I gave the name and number to Tony on here and Sandy had the right stuff for the truck he was working on.
 There is a diaphram inside the metal can on the booster,vacume from the engine sucks the air from one side of that, when the brakes are applied fluid gos in the cylinder on the end, the piston within starts to move and then the vacume helps pull the piston mutliplying the force of the fluid going to the wheel cylinders.
 If the engine is constantly sucking air from the booster then it is shot and needs to be rebuilt, the engine will pull a vacume for a short time and then thats it intill the brake pedal is pushed,then the engine will pull a vacume again.

Tony,feel free to help me out on this explanition I may be off here.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

I think you got the booster nailed good Aaron. There should be a vacuum check valve either at or in the booster or at the manifold so high vacuum from the engine will charge the booster reservoir and keep it charged when there is no engine vacuum. If the booster diaphragm is shot the engine will be pulling air all the time and will run really rough. The small bore and long stroke of the booster cylinder should equal the large bore and short stroke of the master cylinder. In other words the displacement of the booster should be equal to or greater than the master cylinder. If the engine continues to suck a lot of air when the breaks are applied there is something wrong in the booster. If all is right you should get one good power break application with the engine just stopped. 

Tony
Park Olson
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Apparently it was a fire truck, E.F.D. on the door.
The check valve is at the lower right on the firewall.
Nice save , I don't think there many 25's around.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PROGRESS WAS ALRIGHT ONCE, BUT IT HAS GONE ON TOO LONG

Tony Bullard
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Basic idea of a booster.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c5245c11-ac33-47b6-b39e-3714.jpg

Tony
Attachments
Hydrovac.jpg (8 views, 128.00 KB)