Profile Picture

1951 Ford F4 Coleman AWD, new guy needs a manual

Posted By thundersnow70 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
thundersnow70 (7/6/2015)
Thanks Craig, I got the email. The F4 does have 20 inch lockring budd wheels. Coleman changed the offset of the rear wheels so they would track with the front. From the ford data tag the truck was born with drw 18 inch widow makers, then Coleman must have installed the 20 inch wheels. I have also wondered about the power yoke and if that is what I will find when the drum is off. Something makes me doubt it. Just from the pics I have seen of the power yoke. This setup looks alot like what MH did. Only with a larger hub. Time will tell. I will keep everyone up to date as it comes apart and any pics you want or need just let me know. 

Thanks again,  
             Mark

Hey Mark, 

Thanks for the various interesting detials!   Yes, I think many of us would be extremely interested in what the Budd wheels will look like as you take the assembly apart.  Pictures please!  I think a photo of the Ford data tag would also help tell the story.   

We look forward to your progress...

Keep Calm and Coleman On!
Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks Craig, I got the email. The F4 does have 20 inch lockring budd wheels. Coleman changed the offset of the rear wheels so they would track with the front. From the ford data tag the truck was born with drw 18 inch widow makers, then Coleman must have installed the 20 inch wheels. I have also wondered about the power yoke and if that is what I will find when the drum is off. Something makes me doubt it. Just from the pics I have seen of the power yoke. This setup looks alot like what MH did. Only with a larger hub. Time will tell. I will keep everyone up to date as it comes apart and any pics you want or need just let me know. 

Thanks again,  
             Mark
chtrout
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)Fourth Gear (411 reputation)

thundersnow70 (7/2/2015)
Hey hey, thanks for checking in Craig. Dont take me the wrong way, I'm just super excited to have and tear into the big old Ford. And if you have what I need it will be amazing. If you are on vacation and see Don tell him the Marmon Herrington fan club says hi. He wont remember me but I'm sure he would know Chuck, Stu and Dana. Thanks.

And take your time, my excitement isnt your problem.

Regards....Mark

Hey Mark, 

Check your email, I just sent you what I think you may need...

Please keep us posted on your Ford F-4 project.  I think many of us would like to see photos as you dissemble the front axle.  I am curious whether it has the standard Coleman "power yoke" under what appear to be Budd wheels.

Keep Calm and Coleman On!
Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

thundersnow70
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)First Gear (67 reputation)

Hey hey, thanks for checking in Craig. Dont take me the wrong way, I'm just super excited to have and tear into the big old Ford. And if you have what I need it will be amazing. If you are on vacation and see Don tell him the Marmon Herrington fan club says hi. He wont remember me but I'm sure he would know Chuck, Stu and Dana. Thanks.

And take your time, my excitement isnt your problem.

Regards....Mark
chtrout
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

thundersnow70 (6/29/2015)
The flat bed was just sitting on the truck but I got it in the sale. It is off now and will be flipped to help recover some cost. The color makes me wonder who the original owner was. I dont remember seeing a completely yellow truck out of the ford factory. At the least the grill should be white. Must have been special order for someone. Flathead V8, syncro silent 4speed, standard cab with magic air heater. Odometer reads 30000. Does anyone know Craig Trout, he seems to know his way around the Colemans. Can someone contact him and ask him to chime in? Thanks

Sorry for the delay, I am on travel, but I think I have exactly what you need.  I will send it this weekend...

Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

thundersnow70
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

Don Chew is a legend in the world of pre-factory AWD. I talked to him years ago after I bought my first MH. That must have been 15 years ago or more. I have seen pictures of Dons collection. He has a reputation in the MH world as well as Colemans. I know very little about the Colemans but know quite a few players in the Marmons. The smaller ones anyway. I'm gonna have to get that Coleman book when it comes out.

Eddy Lucast
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 hours ago
I'm guessing he'll be along soon. He's working with Don Chew getting a new book on Coleman's ready to go to the publisher.

Chopped Liver, I've got my own rope thank you very much.
Eddy.Lucast@remotedata.com
203-228-1961

thundersnow70
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

The flat bed was just sitting on the truck but I got it in the sale. It is off now and will be flipped to help recover some cost. The color makes me wonder who the original owner was. I dont remember seeing a completely yellow truck out of the ford factory. At the least the grill should be white. Must have been special order for someone. Flathead V8, syncro silent 4speed, standard cab with magic air heater. Odometer reads 30000. Does anyone know Craig Trout, he seems to know his way around the Colemans. Can someone contact him and ask him to chime in? Thanks
thundersnow70
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a09dc986-856c-4a14-9491-992e.jpg
Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)13th direct (4.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Welcome to JOT Mark. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for here.

It's best to post your pictures here directly from your computer and not linked from another site.

I'm looking forward to seeing this project.

Tony