Profile Picture

STERLING HC 165 (1942)

Posted By John Gott 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)5th Over (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Warren, what is the wheelbase of your Sterling dump truck?  Jeff, and others, what would be the wheelbase of the bathtub dump, the Wrecking truck, and the green Moore dump?

I'm piecing together some of the previous work my White crane carrier.  It has dump pivot holes that look like originally a short wheelbase dump, or maybe concrete mixer.  Then 50" was added, and axle slid back, when the crane frame went on.

I can't find straight-on side pictures to help gauge wheelbase on the bathtub rock box sizes on single axle chassis.  To avoid hijacking this thread, could you PM me?

Bruce
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Bruce Ohnstad (6/18/2019)
Warren, what is the wheelbase of your Sterling dump truck?  Jeff, and others, what would be the wheelbase of the bathtub dump, the Wrecking truck, and the green Moore dump?

I'm piecing together some of the previous work my White crane carrier.  It has dump pivot holes that look like originally a short wheelbase dump, or maybe concrete mixer.  Then 50" was added, and axle slid back, when the crane frame went on.

I can't find straight-on side pictures to help gauge wheelbase on the bathtub rock box sizes on single axle chassis.  To avoid hijacking this thread, could you PM me?

Bruce

This is from Warren Richardson: 

Bruce - the typical Sterling single axle dump wheelbase was 163" for trucks with the OHV 140GK engine (or 161" was typical in the early '40s) and 157" for trucks with the flat head 6SRKR engine (HC144, HC147).  This provided a 76" back-of-cab to CL rear axle dimension. I think that this was generally true, but there were other variations. Real side view pictures are hard to find!
Attached picture is of c1950 HC144 sn 144HC6640 (I think!)

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b5edae66-64b0-413c-b579-65e7.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
ROBERTHC147
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)First Gear (3 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago
see photos of mine its the one out of CT.http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c94b2841-4052-4a84-a151-4c45.jpg
Jeff Lakaszcyck
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)Rocket Scientist (15.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Nice Sterling. Warren Richardson also has an HC147, he should be along soon. Do you have the serial number of yours ? 

I fixed the photo. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8bbf531f-731d-420b-9d7d-40aa.jpg

Jeff