Profile Picture

Looking for a good home for a 1975 Dodge van

Posted By 251 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Great to hear it's running again! Guess it won't be too long before it's back on the road as a daily driver...

- Robert
scsiguy - still
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
Got it running. Runs like a top with one of the fuel pumps in the extra stuff. The trouble is, the "new" pump dribbles a little. For $17, I can get a new one at NAPA. I think that's the thing to do as it will surely be ethanol tolerant - at least I hope so. It's no fun being out on the road and having a fuel pump quit.

Now, after I get the brakes bled out, it should be ready to go.

Fred Schrope - Upland, IN
scsiguy - still
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)Third Gear (350 reputation)

Yup on the glass. I put the windshield up in the attic above the office. It will be much less likely to get broken there than in the semi-trailer.

Today, I put a temporary electric fuel pump in place of the fuel filter. I'm getting fuel to the mechanical pump, but not through it. I have the fuel pump off and it seems to be working ok. Tomorrow, I'll put it back on and crank and see I get gas on the output side. It's really not rocket science, just takes time and it's cold out there - damp and windy and 27 F. The van is still on the trailer. It's easier to work on there. FWIW, the gas still seems to be good. I don't know how old it is.

I'll keep ya posted...........and yeah, it's good we did it last weekend instead of this one.

Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
scsiguy - still (23/11/2012)FWIW, I tried to start the van today. It's not getting gas to the carburetor. Fuel pump???? It might be that ethanol got to the diaphragm. I'll work more on it tomorrow. I did run it by pouring gas in the carburetor a few times, enough to get the lifters pumped and and such. Still, no fuel to the carb.

Glad to hear you made some progress on getting it to run. Know the gas in the tank/lines is a few years old - probably has a half a tank or so? Maybe fuel lines need to be cleaned out. Think there was a spare used fuel pump somewhere in the spare parts.

All the Dodge full size vans I've had got about 15-18 mpg. Did have a '86 with a 318 / 4 on the floor which could achieve 20-21 mpg highway in the flatlands. I checked into the later 4-speed automatics Dodge had and it will fit if one crossmember is modified plus a switch added to turn the overdrive on/off. There is also an aftermarket 4-speed manual for Mopar small block V8's that has a smaller profile than the automatic - might be another option for better fuel economy. Know I have no manual transmission/clutch parts so you'd have to find all the bits for such a conversion. Rear end ratio on this B300 is 3:55 - 4:10 was the standard ratio. Can't get 3:23 for the Dana 60 rear axle it has as I checked into that once.

Just curious - did all the glass - especially the windshield - make the trip home with out damage?

Am glad you came out last weekend to get it instead of this weekend as originally planned - today is much colder/windy. Would've been less fun loading it up.

- Robert
scsiguy - still
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Brown Dirt Cowboy (22/11/2012)
Fred, I had one of those Chevy duallies. An '80 model with a 454 and 4 speed. Didn't matter if it was loaded pulling my gooseneck or empty just cruisin' around the best I could get was 10 MPG. But it was a hoss. And I liked the room that the crewcab had.

That one is an '84 with a 6.2 and a Turbo 400 - no overdrive. It's fine for pulling, but not much fun on the road empty. 60mph is about as fast as I feel safe driving it. It's just geared to slow for cruisin'. I'm going to estimate that the load in the picture was about 19 or 20,000 gross. The truck weighs a little over 6k and I suspect the trailer is at least that. It's homemade form big channel iron and I-beams. It really needs another axle. As for the van, I'm guessing it's over 6k with the back end loaded. And I do mean loaded. It was full of heavy stuff........about 25 or 30 boxes plus windows and doors and other stuff. Heavy. When I'd take off from a stop light in the right lane, everyone beside and behind me was gone and out of sight by the time I was up to 55. Those Turbo 400's just aren't made for a diesel. This one shifted into high gear at about 25 mph and the torque converter did all the "gearing" from there. I guess I could have used the stick on the column, but......................Heck, I was down to 40 pullin' the hill comin' up to the old Union 76 just north of US 24 on US 31 at Peru, IN.

On the other hand, it does get about 15 to 17 in normal driving without a trailer. It got 12.282 mpg for this round trip. As for cruisin', it's just to big to suit me. I hope the Dodge is better for that.

FWIW, I tried to start the van today. It's not getting gas to the carburetor. Fuel pump???? It might be that ethanol got to the diaphragm. I'll work more on it tomorrow. I did run it by pouring gas in the carburetor a few times, enough to get the lifters pumped and and such. Still, no fuel to the carb.

I sure wish that Mopar had a diesel back in '75 that would fit in that van. That would be kool!!! A Mopar friend of mine says he could put a Cummins in it. That would be something to see.

Fred Kuhn
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)First Gear (89 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Glad to see the van was saved!
Brown Dirt Cowboy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)Second Gear (192 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Fred, I had one of those Chevy duallies. An '80 model with a 454 and 4 speed. Didn't matter if it was loaded pulling my gooseneck or empty just cruisin' around the best I could get was 10 MPG. But it was a hoss. And I liked the room that the crewcab had.

just trying to maintain a low profile

1964 Emeryville cabover Tom Hale Jackson, Mo.
scsiguy - still
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Mark Brubaker (21/11/2012)
I knew that someday you would see the light Fred! Nice Save.....

Yeah Mark, time will tell. :Whistling:

I almost gave you a call, but figured you'd be juicin' the ole cows when I went through. That plus I'd used my spare for the trailer and was trying to get home before dark in case I had another flat. On that trailer, you can't see the tires while you're driving so if one goes flat, you might blow the second one from overload before you know it. It really should have a third axle, but no more than I use it, it's not worth the trouble.

Mark Brubaker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)Fourth Gear (484 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I knew that someday you would see the light Fred! Nice Save.....

'74 IH 4300

'78 IH 4070B

"Politicians are like diapers they need to be changed often, and for the same reason." -Mark Twain

scsiguy - still
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Like I said, the Dodge Van on the trailer looks better than the truck pullin' it. :D