Profile Picture

Frame Stretch

Posted By Rick Knox 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)6th Over (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Those Chevy truck/trailer conversions are popular.  I have seen plenty of them in the Car trader magazines.  Not sure who is building them?  I do remember them using Toronado frontends under them.  That is the newest version I've seen.  Most were 90's bodystyles.

Larry

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
wayne graham (10/12/2015)
I think ya got something there Steve. Wonder why not just use the front of a GM 4 wheel drive.

I thought about doing a front wheel drive when I started my Autocar project. My plan was to turn the power train around and point the driveshaft at a Dana 80/60 front axle. I thought this would have been a slick set-up, but after talking to rock crawlers etc. I was hearing bad things about full power through steering knuckles with U-joints. (lots of wheel sawing, vibration, and busted joints) I don't know how true that info was, but decided not to be caught paying the bill if it were true.
The early Toronados were a pretty good horse, they were used in the GM motor homes in the early 70s and I've seen several set up as car haulers similar to the one pictured. The problem with them is if the drive chain between the engine and transmission breaks, it usually sets the car on fire.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

glenn akers
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
My son saw that at Joplin yesterday and he said it looked like a front wheel drive.One of a kind.

Glenn Akers
wayne graham
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I think ya got something there Steve. Wonder why not just use the front of a GM 4 wheel drive.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Wolfcreek_Steve
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)6th Over (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
glenn akers (10/11/2015)
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f55811ac-fa68-4eb3-add2-7ae9.jpg[quote][/   This is a good frame stretch job.

Front wheel doesn't line up with the fender opening, I'll bet there is a Toronado drive train under that hood.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

glenn akers
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f55811ac-fa68-4eb3-add2-7ae9.jpg[quote][/   This is a good frame stretch job.

Glenn Akers
Rick Knox
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 2:11:01 AM
Frank,
It's has a hydraulic dove tail so that won't work. I don't need it for anything but hauling the toy trucks to the shows. It just gets to be a pain to figure out what trucks we can take. My trailer is a 42' with a 36" slide out on the rear. I don't like to load on that because it puts way to much over hang on the tail. I just tried to buy a trailer like Michael Gully has, a double drop like you see them haul truck chassis on. I bid it up to my amount and went it went higher I kept bidding on it and bought it for Michael. We had an agreement that he would not bid on it against me. I told him I was going to $5500. but I figured it would go for $7000. He told me to go to $8000. for him I bought it for him for $6700.  

ATHS Executive Secretary
ATHS Life Member 
Rolling along in my LIL Green White 3000
Grain Valley Mo.
Frank Surber
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

Last Active: 2 days ago
Rick if you want 8 ft added to your trailer. if your trailer has enough beef in the front think about a pin on flip with a second kingpin in the flip. and possibly a pin on rear section as well.

https://sowl.co/cEhUI
Don't try and tell me what I can't do, try to convince me of what you can do
Frank Surber
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

Last Active: 2 days ago
Just as important as having a frame guy do the stretch is have an alignment guy who understands how to tweak the spindle control arms. on reasonably short stretches or shortenings the amount of angularity differences often times can be compensated enough with only changing the caster angle slightly on longer ones IMHO anything more than 36" either way, many will fudge that figure to 48" before they consider the need to tweak the arms and in truth some steering systems on certain trucks can get away with not tweaking. Even longer or shorter pitman arms come into play for longer modifications. One particular frame mod I did back in the early 80s comes to mind we took a 245" WB concrete mixer chassis to 360"actually it was 2 mixer trucks that became the donors to the project, added a third drive axle and a second steer axle since we were turning the truck from a cement mixer into an oilfield rigging truck everything that had to do with steering was changed. 2 different lengths of control arms the pitman arm had 2 locations for the drag links caster on 1 axle was more than the other. the Akerman axis was calculated from the center drive axle for the rear steering axle and from the front drive axle for the front steer if my memory still serves

https://sowl.co/cEhUI
Don't try and tell me what I can't do, try to convince me of what you can do
Rick Knox
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)6th Direct (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 2:11:01 AM
Denny sets the driveline angle when he sets it up. Then we will have the alignment done. I can tell you this, Denny has done 3 of my friends trucks, all started at 250, they are now 300, 310 and 320. All everyday drivers, two pulling 140,000+ out of the quarry and the third pulls a tanker. None are have tire trouble or vibrations. He also does most of the frame stretch's for the biggest crane builder in KC. Like I said, he's a frame guy, not just a frame welder. 

ATHS Executive Secretary
ATHS Life Member 
Rolling along in my LIL Green White 3000
Grain Valley Mo.