Profile Picture

What Am I for Sunday 10/25/15

Posted By Jeff Lakaszcyck 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Rocket Scientist

Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)Rocket Scientist (13.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
This truck was all business. Emblem removed.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/3bdadf73-dc21-4898-a56f-15f5.jpg

Jeff
Attachments
What Am I 3076.jpg (8 views, 175.00 KB)
Bill White
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 15 hours ago
Coleman Quick-way

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
Hamish
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)13th Over (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Agree with Bill-Coleman with Quick-Way crane.
Tutlebrain
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)5th Over (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
X3 Coleman Quick Way. Looks like it's working in the UK. Quite a few of these were sold by the US forced in Europe on to the civilian market or other armies. 
chtrout
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
This is a head-on shot of a Coleman strong-frame G55A carrier mounted with a Quick-Way Truck Shovel Company crane. The first contract was let in early Nov 1940 in anticipation of WW-II, and the original plan was to assign one G55A with Quick-Way Truck Shovel to each 30-40 dump trucks (modified with canvas covers as troop transports), so that bomb-damaged roads could be quickly repaired. The front of each unit was equipped with a 12,000 lbs. capacity winch and 300 ft. of cable, as well as a heavy brush roller, similar to those found on half-tracks. Each unit was also supplied with a "Tempte Model QW-18" trailer to haul the assorted attachments, which included a 4/10 yd. shovel, crane with 13,000 lbs lifting capacity, drag line, clamshell or trench hoe, pile driver, plus rigging supplies. The G55A was truly the US Army Engineers' "Swiss Army Knife," since it could be used to do just about anything. The G55A was capable of 53mph (governed speed), so as to keep up with mobile troop movements, and was powered with a Buda LO-525 engine. In actual use, the G55A also soon became a primary means of unloading pontoon bridges and placing them in position, as well a Baily Bridge components. The first order of (69) units was split between the US Army Engineers and the British allies, with the second order for (74) units being placed in May 1941, and a third order fo (175) units being placed in March 1942. In July 1942, the US Army Engineers ordered (225) more units. There are some indications that a small portion of the final order was eventually cancelled as the US Army Engineers began to fully meet its needs. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8c98ed02-714a-4201-924d-6147.jpg
Overhead view of a G55A mounted with a Quick Way Model "E" Crane with a "Tempte Model QW-18" trailer to haul the assorted attachments, which included a 4/10 yd. shovel, crane with 13,000 lbs lifting capacity, drag line, clamshell or trench hoe, pile driver, plus rigging supplies. Note that the unit is being shown along pontoon bridges and construction equipment. 
Source;  Internet, no source provided

Coleman Motors of Littleton, CO, as well as Howe Brothers in Troy, NY, had been mounting Quick Way cranes on E-Series (E-54, et al) and G55 chassis on a spot basis since at least 1935, but the specially-configured war-time G55A with the half-cab was the first large scale production. A small volume of Quick Way cranes continued to be mounted on Coleman chassis after the war. Due to the very large number of G55As becoming surplus after the war, quite a few were picked up by various contractors and construction companies, as seen in today's photo of a surplus G55A being used by a construction company to lay pipe, perhaps in England.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/1a7222f8-2df1-402f-9c22-2fea.jpg
Example of a pre-war Colemn truck mounted with a Quick Way Truck Shovel. 
Source:  Craig H. Trout Collection, please credit

Keep Calm and Coleman On!
Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast

clyde318
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Looks like a Coleman, especially with the give-away.
Davwingman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Coleman
Bill White
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)13th Over (8.6K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
I know it can be tempting to post a photo along with your answer to share your knowledge, but please refrain from doing so until after I have posted the answer. Many folks cannot can view the WAI until later in the day, and if the answer is revealed early by a photo or a comment about an obvious feature it spoils the fun for those who like to figure the WAI out for themselves. After I have revealed the answer please post any info or photos you wish. Many times, seeing these posts is the best part of the thread. Thank you for your co-operation and for helping to make the WAI more fun for everyone.

1953 White WC24, 1949 IH KBS11
wayne graham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)13th Over (5.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am gonna go way out on a limb here and guess it is maybe possibly a Coleman. I think I saw a picture of one of those once. lol

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
chtrout
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)Fourth Gear (412 reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Bill White (10/25/2015)
I know it can be tempting to post a photo along with your answer to share your knowledge, but please refrain from doing so until after I have posted the answer. Many folks cannot can view the WAI until later in the day, and if the answer is revealed early by a photo or a comment about an obvious feature it spoils the fun for those who like to figure the WAI out for themselves. After I have revealed the answer please post any info or photos you wish. Many times, seeing these posts is the best part of the thread. Thank you for your co-operation and for helping to make the WAI more fun for everyone.

Oops, Sorry guys, I got a bit out of sequence. What Bill White did was cut & paste a copy of the Guidelines from the WAI front page in terms of waiting until after Jeff has posted the final answer before adding any fully detailed comments or photos. That keeps it more fun for everyone involved.

My bad, sorry 'bout that.

Craig

Craig H. Trout
ATHS Life Member

Researching Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman Trucks
and selected production partners, such as Columbian Steel Tank, Quick Way Truck Shovel, Howe-Coleman, International Harvester, Marmon-Herrington, and SnowBlast