Profile Picture

444XT fueling issues (Glenn Akers!!! Over here!!!)

Posted By ColoradoGreen 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)5th Over (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Troy, at first sounds like a CAC boot came loose... But..
check your fuel tank vents, may be the vents are plugged and your hearing the tank .... ? Just a nother thought..
glenn akers
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I install a air to air cooler on a NTC and it did make a difference in the way it pulled and to my surprise it was a quitter engine.

Glenn Akers
wayne graham
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Doug, They did not come that way from the factory but some were added later. Real easy to do with his W900. I was just putting it out there. Kinda interested to see the out come of this.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Doug Blevins
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)Fourth Gear (429 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
wayne graham (11/15/2015)
I am assuming the cac is not leaking.

I have been gone alot, so I might be mistaken, but unless he converted it to an N-14, the 444 does not have a CAC

whole bunch of scrap iron! some actually runs! Most just eat money and take up space in my yard

wayne graham
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th Over

13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)13th Over (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am assuming the cac is not leaking.

I cried because I had no shoes till I met a man who had no class.
Aaron
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)13th direct (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Even the gasket on the cross over or the aftercooler,look for a discolored mark from the air escaping.

Driving the greenies nuts
http://www.killcarb.com/
Geoff Weeks
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)13th direct (3.3K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Does it have a Holset air compressor that the intake is connected to the aftercooler? I had the hose split and it would blow boost out under load, be be quiet other times, same thing for a small hole in the turbo to aftercooler hoses. Another place to look.
glenn akers
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)6th Direct (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
First thing is if the STC was bad it would not advance in most cases.And if it was in advance mode it would run even better that in retard mode but would soon damage pistons.I cant say much about what could be the problem but don't forget that it could be a intake elbow sucking close or I have seen mufflers that was broken up inside that would do some noise and if it shut the flow of exhaust down any it would change the boost.I don't see a fuel problem doing what you say.

Glenn Akers
ColoradoGreen
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
I'm new welcome me

I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)I'm new welcome me (0 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The 444 seems to have developed some sort of fueling issue recently.

If any of you are familiar with I-70 east of Denver, you'll know of the small hill you come up going West into Denver right before Bennet. As I was pulling this hill I seemed to have an issue develop. I'd work to about 22lbs of boost pressure when suddenly I'd here a pop (more like a hollow thump) and I'd lose boost, it'd drop to 20lbs and then work back up, any time you tried sustaining 22lbs it'd pop again and drop manifold pressure.

My first concern was the turbo was going out. I looked in the mirrors and saw no white smoke.

I'd eased her over the hill and into the truck stop on the other side. Opened up the engine to see if there were any issues developing. At idle she sounded just find, no excessive noise, and running clean (well, as clean as a Big Cam will, I've noticed even with STC, on a cold night, they'll still smoke just the tiniest bit).

The next thought was a fuel filter plugging. I parked the truck for the night (luckily, close to home) and got home, came back in the morning with a friend and mentor of mine who has worked on Cummins engines for 50 years. We pulled the fuel filter and it looked totally fine. No sign of plugging, no sludge like algae in the diesel or something.

We put the new filter on and started the 444 up. It idled appropriately, cleaned up, no smoking.

When we fed the engine throttle however, the engine began smoking white smoke badly as well as some backfiring (although, I'm more given to believe the backfiring was due to the engine running cold and precombusting). Again, our concern became the turbo again. We pulled the elbows and inspected, no excessive play, and ZERO oil whatsoever on the hot or cold side. Totally bone dry.

We listened to the engine. There was no knocking, rattling, or hissing as if there were issues like a burnt of dropped valve, dropped injector tip, etc.

I spoke with Geoff on the phone a bit recently, and I'm looking for any other Cummins' mechanics opinion:

We think it's down to one of maybe three different things:

1.) There's a block somewhere in the fuel lines near the tanks, a rag, toilet paper, god knows what, got into the tank and is restricting the flow from the tank (They're bottom draw tanks).

2.) The STC valve has gone bad and is stuck in the advanced setting, not allowing the timing to retard for proper firing under loaded conditions.

3.) The diaphragm on the PT pump is damaged.

Any opinions or advice is welcome from those well familiar with Cummins engines.

Troy

10-4 Magazine - For Today's Trucker! ALL IMAGES COPYRIGHT 10-4 MAGAZINE/ TROY MILLER

I'm not fearless, I'm just stupid!