Profile Picture

Brockway Dealer Sign

Posted By oldspwr 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)6th Over (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
That is way cool.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

donkeydog
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Second Gear

Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)Second Gear (157 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Awsome, you really did a great job, love seeing that husky pulling, I had a husky named Brockway, any way great job.
Brocky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)13th direct (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Don

Also feel free to join us over at brockwaytrucks.org for some Brockway info and they will help you with advise. Any many unadviseable(fun) answers!!!!!!!

Where is the truck located?? Some of the guys may already know it??

Brocky
Don Hancock
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)Third Gear (333 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi Tom,

Looks great, i may need some of your expertise as I am hoping to look at a 761 w/ 318 this weekend.

Don Hancock

No Truck for now

Don Hancock
85  359 Pete

Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)Third Gear (206 reputation)

Very cool! :cool:

- Robert
Wayne64SS
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)5th Direct (789 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mind if I ask how much the sign faces were either way? I'm looking to have a duplicate of my Detroit sign face made for a spare since mine is outside. There is a thread on here about it. Great work, I'm glad I'm not the only sick enough to go through the time, effort, and $$ to restore a badass old sign!!!

--------------------------

Buncha junk.
Rogerstar
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)First Gear (16 reputation)

two words......'neat'.....and 'very'. Thanks for posting.
oldspwr
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Fourth Gear

Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)Fourth Gear (542 reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I just posted this over on the Brockway Message Board and figured everyone here would enjoy it as well...

Several years ago there were a handful of factory dealer signs for sale in Cortland. This was before the 155W was done and at the time I really needed the money to finish the truck. I have been thinking about one of these signs hanging up in my garage ever since then so I decided to try to find one. I made a handful of calls and couldn’t find anyone willing to sell one of the original ones. So the sign idea went on the back burner until the museum grand opening this past summer. Peter G. donated a pair of signs and had a sign builder fabricate a housing for them…

Here is a pic of them hanging the sign up…

And here is a close up that I took from the lower level… really looks sharp…

So during the grand opening I decided to take a handful of pics of the sign and try to redraw it myself. In the meantime, there was a 6’x4’ Dualite outdoor Auto Parts sign on eBay for quite some time. It was probably listed on there for well over a year….

It was in Saugerties NY so I decided to ‘make an offer’ and sure enough the accepted it. So we made the 2 hour trip upstate and picked up the sign. When we got it home we took it apart to find 3 broken lamps and a whole lotta glass…

So we gave everything a good cleaning and picked up a new ballast and four new lamps… I upgraded from a magnetic to an electronic ballast (which uses less electricity…) After rewiring it for the new ballast we lit it up!

Then for the heck of it we reinstalled the original pan faces just to see what it would look like…

Then my buddy Mike came over and helped my Dad and I hang the sign…

In the meantime I was working on re-creating the image. The pics I took of the sign at the museum were all skewed (since I was aiming up with the camera instead of straight on…) Then I remembered that George M. had one of the originals hanging up in his garage, and after a quick phone call George said I was welcome to stop by and take some pictures of his. So with the help of a ladder I was able to get some great, straight on pics… (thanks George!!!)

So then I imported one of the pictures into Autocad, rescaled it to 6’x4’ and started re-drawing it. It took some time but when all was said and done I had a really nice outline of the original sign. This was time consuming but worth the effort. Before I finished the CAD plan, I contacted a local sign shop in Scranton and explained what I wanted to do. I had two options, either a single pan face (which means is pops out 2”) or a pan fan with the image bumped out (like the original sign…) The second option is $$$$ so I opted for the single pan face with a vinyl overlay. After sending them the image, within a week they called and said it was done. So last Friday I picked it up!!!

So on Friday we slid the new pan face into place!!!

And here it is lit up!!!

"Leave no bolt unturned"