Profile Picture

Checker 12 ton M270A1 trailer

Posted By kblackav8or 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 days ago
I had it parked off the side of a side road up here for the last 5 days.  Not likely to get a ticket but possible.  Glad that my brother isn't nagging me anymore to move it even though it was ina  dock they never used and it wasn't impacting a thing. 

1986 Peterbilt 359, 1980 Freightliner FLC 12064
I do all my own stunts. 

chocko
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Direct

6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)6th Direct (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Why would they give a citation at a warehouse ? I would think that is where a trailer should be.
Good luck.
kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)6th Over (2.5K reputation)

Finally it's home.  Not pretty, in fact we made a mess excavating into the bank given it was raining the whole time and very wet to begin with.  I head back to work on Sunday so after 3 years, buy it, sell it buy it back, modify it.  It now fits into the driveway.  It is solid underneath but just muck over the gravel.  Later when it has been dry for a while sometime around June I should be able to spread some fresh gravel down there.  Major relief.  No longer have my brother complaining about it at the warehouse or worrying it was going to get cited or stolen. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/56303cf2-199a-4c58-b69d-eece.jpg

I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

This phase is complete for the most part.  The axles are moved.  Even still riding on the tall rubber it is lower by about 4 inches.  This is all about making it so it can get into my driveway.. which it should but I need to do some bull dozing to allow it to have enough room.  Later on the winch, beaver or flip tail etc will go on along with replacing the rotted wood on the deck.  
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0e527c59-fe9c-47c4-9fb6-a35b.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/8419382c-a508-4405-a5d9-aac7.jpg

I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Progress report.  Old axles are off the old suspension.  After some looking and discussion we decided there was entirely too much cutting and grinding on those axles plus a requirement for longer brake camshafts.  We decided to go round up another used pair which only took a couple hours.  The local crummy gravel hauling outfit's owner went on vacation and the kids and employees decided to clean up several acres of old trailers and haul them away for scrap.  There were 2 trailer loads of axles.  I picked out a set that had nice long brake camshafts and same appearing hubs and looked, serviceable provided we move my hubs and brake guts over.  Turned out to be a good move.  Once we got them stripped and the brackets cut off and ground clean we spent probably an hour getting them aligned side to side measuring a bunch of different ways.  1st axle took a lot longer then the second of course.  The second we got smart and took the hubs and brakes off first and it was a lot easier to horse around.  With not a whole lot of effort I got one axles brake camshafts freed up and greased and not even sloppy enough to bother with in terms of bushings.  1 finger to turn them.  More grease, more cleaning and they are good provided I put good slack adjusters on.  The other ones had those enclosed shafts on it.  They were seized up big time.  One with grease and work I got loose fairly easily.  The other one was heat and beat and get it out.  We decided to cut the external tubes off since looking at the other axle it came from they didn't have them.  Shaft was exposed and worked fine.  So we did but are probably going to re-bush at least one side.  Other side with proper lube is going to be OK.  Tomorrow we will torque all the fasteners and start putting brakes back together.  Converting over to grease in the hubs.  The replacement axles and my own both have pretty good looking bearing and seal surfaces.  Only one of them showed much seal wear.  All of them still had oil in them and no water or rust so bonus there.  We have just shy of 10' from rear axle centerline to the end of the trailer so some overhang.  The difference in the turn point is going to be huge.  That thing was a challenge to get in my buddies driveway with a 240" wheelbase W900L plus 50's of axles all the way back trailer.  Even though I am back to flying as my primary work, my trucker skills are holding up.  With any luck we will have it back on some wheels by Tuesday if it doesn't snow a bunch here and maybe get it into my driveway.  Pictures to come. 

I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

I actually bought one from someone.  It's in MN waiting for a ride west.  Supposedly this is already cut off that trailer.  I am also open to doing a hydraulic tail.  In other posts we have discussed putting my Braden winch on the trailer hydraulically driven.  A hydraulic tail and ramps might allow me to carry more if the tail is stout enough to lift and carry whatever I put on it.  I can't imagine putting anything much bigger then a car or pickup on the tail.  With 10' of moveable ramp, you can get a fairly gentle slop out of that if you stop 2' above the ground and run ramps from there. 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6ad3d33b-226f-4377-bfd2-5d5d.jpg

I do all my own stunts. 

Bruce Ohnstad
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Over

5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)5th Over (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Another interesting project, Kevin.  Do you want to put a beavertail on the end?

Bruce
kblackav8or
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Did some measuring when I visited my trailer yesterday.  Deck is 40'.  When we move the axles it could be as short as 30'.  Not sure how it would work if I left all 10' as rear overhang.  Front deck height from whatever tractor dropped it off is about 43", the rear is almost 51".  Current tire height is 39-40, replacement tires are 35-36 tall.  I think I would be in decent shape if I can get it down around 42ish hitched up ready to load.  Not low boy height by any stretch but I won't get hung up on any railroad crossings either.  The pin to axle change should make it a lot more maneuverable.  The axles worry me in that how much work may we have to do to move them up?  Hopefully I don't need longer S cam shafts and have to move the brakes in further.  Be easy of course to just put all new under there until I have to pay for it.  And for something that only gets used maybe a couple times a year.  I might fall into some used ones and just move my hubs and brakes over as appropriate.  Hope to get this done in a week or so. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f782e0a9-b4f9-48c2-9d9e-20e6.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/ce2e182a-7273-4409-9410-a793.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trucks/USN-USAF-M270A1-step-deck/i-rgpB729/0/2faf4d6b/XL/20200103_124540-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Trucks/USN-USAF-M270A1-step-deck/i-kgC6zKt/0/df93a0c2/XL/20200103_123354-XL.jpg

I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Modifications to the checker started last month.  I didn't get to see them done.  I am going to move the axles forward and up to lower the trailer and shorten the turning radius.  Brand new Hutchens underslung suspension.  Puts the axle 7" below the frame rail.  I gain a couple inches there.  With the low pro 22.5's I have to put on, that will drop a few more inches.  After that it will get either the beavertail or have a flip tail fabbed up and add on the winch.  Top that off with fresh decking and paint and I will have a nice sturdy and handy trailer that didn't cost 20k.  Brackets were installed in Portland by a trailer shop.  We will move the air tanks and axles when I get home for my next off shift time.  Should be fairly straight forward. 

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/9f0723d5-6f59-435c-9ee1-3a84.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/4cc8969e-b21d-49be-ae5c-d943.jpg

I do all my own stunts. 

kblackav8or
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
6th Over

Appreciate your intimate knowledge of them.  There is a AC Crawler page on Facebook that is pretty good.  They are probably a bit biased but one pro dozer operator on there says he feels the 60's HD6 was a better machine then the comparable Cat D4 at the time.  Said it will be a pretty notable improvement over my 7U. 

I do all my own stunts.