Profile Picture

HOOKING UP TURN SIGNALS ON MY 48 FORD F2

Posted By PHONYSMOKE 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)13th direct (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Several of us have done our best to help you out, maybe it is time for you to find someone locally that understands basic electricity to help you.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
“He, who is without oil, shall throw the first rod” Compressions 8.7:1
Steve Peterson
Central Wisconsin

Follow The Leaders For They Know The Way AUTOCAR

PHONYSMOKE
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hey gang, i've decidfed to change turn signal switches , going to one that has markings on it VP 632. SEE PIC. BUT IN NEED OF A WIRING DIAGRAM AND FURTHER DESCRIPTIVE INFO ON IT IF ANY ONE CAN HELP. THANKS!http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6cb04149-c3fc-4ad7-9929-6a5c.jpg
Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
mrsmackpaul (6/4/2016)
no I dont know anything about these (tail light trailer converter # 118158)  and would wonder why you would want to over complicate this any more than it has to as already said is pretty much how I would do it, I dont know what the 3rd terminal is for but it will be something simple as already described
and pretty much like said bellow only difference I would make would come from fuse after the ignition switch so they cant be left on by accident thats about it really can draw up a diagram if you need one just say the word and I'll do one for you

Paul 

The third terminal is for the little indicator light in control. Usually the green one that shows which direction you are turning. The one that may flash red when you pull the handle out.

Tony
Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)13th direct (4.2K reputation)

You don't need that converter. Plus the fact it won't work. It is solid state for 12 volt negative ground. If you put it in you will let all the smoke out of the wires. There used to be a Lucas service part to repair that problem but I haven't seen it for years.
http://www.mez.co.uk/smoke2.jpg
More on Lucas problems: http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html

Wire your signals as I showed and it WILL work. You are setting up two completely different systems. One for the stop lights with the tail lights in them which you already have working and the other is the independent signal lights. This is why you don't use the brake light switch in the signal light circuit.

Your X638 switch is an all mechanical device. There are no solenoids, relays or diodes in there. It consists of an stationary insulated board with brass button head contacts in it connected to the four signal lights. The turn signal leaver moves a set of wipers or fingers which are connected to the flasher and when used to the stop light switch. In the neutral position the brake wipers are in contact with the rear signal contacts. When the brake switch is closed the signal lights serve as brake lights. When moved to the right turn position the left brake wiper remains on the left signal contact and the right brake wiper moves to a no contact position. The right flasher wiper moves to the right signal contact and the right signal states flashing. If the brakes are applied at the some time the left stop/signal light will remain on. The same idea works for the left turn. By not hooking the red wire to the brake light switch the circuit works the same but no power is on the brake wiper.

This should be as clear as mud.

Tony
PHONYSMOKE
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)First Gear (11 reputation)

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/017d32f6-a66f-469d-b11d-fa69.jpg
Park Olson
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
5th Direct

5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)5th Direct (931 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
That is a YANKEE unit, branded NAPA,, I have one in my truck, not the most "TRUCKLY" piece, but mines been working
for more than 15 years.
The lever pulls out for  4 way flash.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PROGRESS WAS ALRIGHT ONCE, BUT IT HAS GONE ON TOO LONG

Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Oh one more thing. Your unit may be for 12 volts and the pilot (indicator) light on the blue wire may need to be changed to 6 volt. You'll know if the pilot light is very dim.

Tony
Tony Bullard
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
13th direct

Don't use the red wire at all with just signal lights. Keep your brake lights wired to the stop light switch. Wire the X638 only to the dedicated signal lights.

EDIT: You should have positive ground. Wire the fuse to the negative not positive as shown.
The drawing is for a negative ground vehicle. 

Tony
ScottM
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Third Gear

Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)Third Gear (297 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
From what I see, to get a separate set of brake lights, do not connect the red wire from the turn signal switch to the stop light switch, instead connect the red wire from the stop light switch to a relay, the relay will then switch your brake light circuit and turn your brake lights on. The red wire between the two switches in your diagram is a tracer wire, it lets the signal switch know that the brake light switch has been closed by operating a solenoid inside the turn signal switch.  Be sure to check the capacity of the wires and components to ensure they fall in a safe range.

======================
www.cachecreektruckshow.org

Scott McKenzie
- 1950 Bullmoose B624 forklift
- 1964 Pacific SRDD-D - http://prograph.smugmug.com/1964-Pacific
- 1973 Pacific P9
- 1980 Chevy C60
- 1983 GMC 2500
www.pacifictruckclub.org
www.hayestruckclub.org

PHONYSMOKE
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Gear

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a558a33a-1932-475a-a394-bc44.jpg