1944 Federal 606 C2 6x6 Wrecker

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Topic101293.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By jhancock - 3 Years Ago
Excellent!   Great to have a story about the one that almost got away.
By jhancock - 2 Years Ago
Nothing wrong with having spare parts.

They aren't making new ones.
By jhancock - Last Year
Hard to say if this is classified as work or play....?
By roKWiz - 3 Years Ago
Big and badass. Looks great.
By Bruce Ohnstad - 3 Years Ago
That overhead crane came in handy, Jeff. 

Treat the piano hinges gently, frozen hinge will fatigue the flat sheet metal easily.  In addition to your favorite solvent, gentle taps on the circumference of the hinge using a broad punch and wiggle might free up without heat.

I found the Model A Ford hood that was on my dad's gravel screen.  The hood was lying in a dump box under 50 years of debris.  It was in surprisingly good shape, but the hinges were froze.  It was low on my priorities so I tried wiggling it free.  The panels cracked.  I probably could have freed the hinge if I had to.

Bruce
By Bruce Ohnstad - 3 Years Ago
Jeff, you deserve a lot of credit for your determination on the pin removal.

So was it a straight pin with originally a press fit?  Was the crank dog sleeve a slip fit, not press fit, onto the crankshaft?

Bruce
By Bruce Ohnstad - 2 Years Ago
Congrats, Jeff.  Always a good example to see a well taken care of truck, not beat or chopped. Those cab frames are wood, right?  If you can find a good woodworker, you might have good patterns.  Who made those cabs?

Bruce
Jeff, what condition are the rear ends on the orange crane truck?  That must be quite a rumble when that engine is running.  Are both frames straight and unchopped, with the exception of that bumper mount broken on the orange one?

Bruce
What company made inertia starters?  Bosch, Robert and American?

Bruce
By Bruce Ohnstad - Last Year
1935-42 Motors says the HX series has 2 auxiliary oil pumps to scavenge when the engine is run at steep angles.  The viscosity meter has an outlet so it would measure resistance to flow.  This engine must have been intended for some severe applications or remote areas with unpredictable oil quality. 

Good to see things turned out ok, Jeff.  With no valve covers, did you ever get a look inside the engine after the first runnings to see if oil was getting circulated?  I guess if the bearings weren't knocking it might have had oil pressure.  Let the fun continue!

Bruce
By Slim 3979 - 3 Years Ago
Jeff,
We are so glad that you glomed onto this beautiful Federal to keep her from going back to nature.  We are so happy for you.  Looks like all she needs are the casings pumped up and a quick simonize job. 
Slim
By redandyellow - 3 Years Ago
Jeff,
This is a very interesting project you have going. I am particularly interested in the unsticking of the engine. Earlier in the thread I had noticed the reference to using Rust Blast to unstick and engine so I had Eddy ship me some. I am trying to get the pony engine on my Caterpillar D8 14A unstuck. I put an inch or so of Rust Blast in the cylinders last Friday. I tried using a wood block and large hammer on them Saturday but nothing moved. I refilled the cylinders and inch deep and will leave them sit over the holiday. My guess is to eventually, the Rust Blast will work its way down the cylinder walls and bingo, it will be free????

To help the process along, has anyone used heat to help the cylinder walls move away from the pistons? I tried burning some diesel using a rag in each cylinder but that did not seem to generate much heat. I then tried a propane torch and still not much heat. I am going to try the O2/acetylene torch (very carefully) next. Good idea or bad anyone???? 

Red and Yellow
By redandyellow - 3 Years Ago
Tony Bullard (9/6/2016)
redandyellow (9/5/2016)
I am trying to get the pony engine on my Caterpillar D8 14A unstuck. I put an inch or so of Rust Blast in the cylinders last Friday. I tried using a wood block and large hammer on them Saturday but nothing moved. I refilled the cylinders and inch deep and will leave them sit over the holiday. My guess is to eventually, the Rust Blast will work its way down the cylinder walls and bingo, it will be free????

Red and Yellow

The biggest problem with beating on the pistons with a wooden block in this engine is they are 180* out of phase. When you try to beat one down you are trying to turn the crank and moving the other one up. If one is at or near top dead center nothing is going to move. If the 14A series has a starter motor remove it and the gear box and you'll have access to the flywheel ring gear. With a bar try to work that back forth to free the pistons. Or take the hand crank handle mounting bracket off and work that shaft back and forth with a pipe wrench.