Engine dilema KW FRTL

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Topic139669.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By kblackav8or - 6 Months Ago
I have been gathering bits for getting the FLC mobile when a friend mentions.. hey I found this good running 335 Cummins.  I am thinking I don't really think I want a 335 in the Freightliner FLC.  I doubt any ever came with one.  However a 335 if my KW widehood that looks like a early 60's truck certainly would be appropriate for a 335.  The Big Cam 400 in it, makes more sense in the FLC.  I think they were at least an option.  Other then a bit of oil and drool it really runs well and pulls good.  The 8V92 electronic I have the DDEC I in it I am abandoning.  Anyone wants any of the DDEC I stuff, they can probably have it.  I do have a DDEC II ECU for it now and an DDEC engine harness new in the box for a 92.  All I should need is a chassis harness for it to run.  The 92 certainly would be more original but not likely to outperform my 400 really.  Mine has that upgraded pump and bigger turbo, exhaust manifold etc.  A set of injectors and a good Cummins mech could make that thing pull well.  It really doesn't need it but it has potential.  I suppose the 92 does as well.  The 335 would make a nice engine in the 59.  I suppose one could find a T590 turbo for it and have it make music.  Might make it just as desirable to someone else as a bread and butter 400.  Sort of a tough call.  More work to do a double swap.  Not sure what I want to do but it does make me think about it. 
By WalterACRS - 6 Months Ago
kblackav8or (1/7/2019)
I have been gathering bits for getting the FLC mobile when a friend mentions.. hey I found this good running 335 Cummins.  I am thinking I don't really think I want a 335 in the Freightliner FLC.  I doubt any ever came with one.  However a 335 if my KW widehood that looks like a early 60's truck certainly would be appropriate for a 335.  The Big Cam 400 in it, makes more sense in the FLC.  I think they were at least an option.  Other then a bit of oil and drool it really runs well and pulls good.  The 8V92 electronic I have the DDEC I in it I am abandoning.  Anyone wants any of the DDEC I stuff, they can probably have it.  I do have a DDEC II ECU for it now and an DDEC engine harness new in the box for a 92.  All I should need is a chassis harness for it to run.  The 92 certainly would be more original but not likely to outperform my 400 really.  Mine has that upgraded pump and bigger turbo, exhaust manifold etc.  A set of injectors and a good Cummins mech could make that thing pull well.  It really doesn't need it but it has potential.  I suppose the 92 does as well.  The 335 would make a nice engine in the 59.  I suppose one could find a T590 turbo for it and have it make music.  Might make it just as desirable to someone else as a bread and butter 400.  Sort of a tough call.  More work to do a double swap.  Not sure what I want to do but it does make me think about it. 

If you decide to sell the complete 8V92 send a message to me is it a TA model?
I have the complete one which is turbocharged and electronic, plus another turbocharged one that is a parts engine that is apart and missing the heads.  It does have the jakes and injectors and other stuff to convert the electronic one to mechanical if someone is so inclined.  I may look for a chassis harness out of the junkyard when I am home next and see where that goes.  If I get it running it should be pretty easy to sell if I so choose. 
By Junkmandan - 6 Months Ago
Walter----- Adlemans , the Chicago location, not Canton, Ohio has ads on several sites on Facebook for 30 8V92T take outs from military application .   Right rear mounted turbo that could be fine for a COE, trimmed nicely with starter, air compressor, flange mounted alternator, trunnion front mount , double oil cooler and flex plates for an Allison ., for $2250 .  outright.
By Tony Bullard - 6 Months Ago
Dan, what would you need a whole different flywheel if you wanted to put a disk clutch in?
By wayne graham - 6 Months Ago
Kevin, An Allison uses a flex plate just like other automatics. You would need a fly wheel for a clutch if I understand your question correctly.

Thanks, Wayne. That's what I was wondering.
Junkmandan (1/9/2019)
Walter----- Adlemans , the Chicago location, not Canton, Ohio has ads on several sites on Facebook for 30 8V92T take outs from military application .   Right rear mounted turbo that could be fine for a COE, trimmed nicely with starter, air compressor, flange mounted alternator, trunnion front mount , double oil cooler and flex plates for an Allison ., for $2250 .  outright.

Thanks, but I am looking a 8V92TA to put in a NCUS conventional cab.

It is located near Woodland, WA for reference.  Depending on where you are the shipping could be substantial.  I do have a throttle pedal for it and a brand new engine harness and a DDEC II engine ECU that is supposed to be good and is for a V8.  It may need a reflash to match but that is apparently not difficult to obtain.  I don't have a chassis harness for it.  I am confident it is sound and will run.  Turbo tag indicates it is spec for 500hp engine.  I want to retain the test stand it is on.  Due to my locale at the moment it is difficult to post pictures but if you look at my Freightliner FLC thread in the other section, there are pictures there.  The DDEC I ECU it currently has is apparently bad, throws several codes and is not firing the injectors otherwise it would be running.  I am confident in that.  Has good compression, oil looks good.  I gave it a 3 second shot of ether a while back and it roared to life, no bad sounds, and the oil is definitely pumping.  I haven't repeated that as I only wanted to see if it would fire.  It does.  I also have the racks and mechanical injectors and a bunch of other stuff that will go with it.  I think if I go forward with this I will stick to all Cummins in the 2 trucks.  If I don't then I will make up a chassis harness and do this.  I think for my purposes long term the Big Cam 400 I have is probably better for what the truck is likely to be used for. 

Yes, flywheels from 6 and 8V92 , also interchange with 60 series, I believe .    6V92 only uses 6 capscrews , while V8 and 60 series use 12 .

And Walter-----------Who told you those military engines ain't TA ?
Junkmandan (1/10/2019)
Yes, flywheels from 6 and 8V92 , also interchange with 60 series, I believe .    6V92 only uses 6 capscrews , while V8 and 60 series use 12 .

And Walter-----------Who told you those military engines ain't TA ?

I know they are 8V92TA models the problem is they have the exhaust, alternator and air compressor on the flywheel end of the engine. I need the layout to be reversed to fit into the conventional cab of a NCUS. Oh, allison’s Are the devil’s work. I am an Manual gearbox only guy.
By Geoff Weeks - 6 Months Ago
Air compressor and Alt are ALWAYS driven off the FLywheel end on a -92, or at least all the one I've seen are.
Geoff Weeks (1/10/2019)
Air compressor and Alt are ALWAYS driven off the FLywheel end on a -92, or at least all the one I've seen are.

I thought they made them both ways... if not I might have to rethink my plans... but the exhaust is a problem as well.
Walter did you see the Oshkosh or Walter sitting in the weeds on the north side of I90 just west of Amsterdam or Fultonville / Fonda?
Tony Bullard (1/10/2019)
Walter did you see the Oshkosh or Walter sitting in the weeds on the north side of I90 just west of Amsterdam or Fultonville / Fonda?

No, I haven’t been that way to Fultonville in a many years.
Exhaust manifolds, blower air inlet housing have been reversed and relocated with a little creativity .
By Freightrain - 6 Months Ago
$2250 for a full dressed 8v92?   Cheap!!  
Don't think anyone has posted the link of the guy on Youtube that blew up a 16v71 genset?  Everyone was crying about it.  He kept stating, come pay the $800 and take it away.  His local scrapper had a couple of them and no one wanted it.  He blows it up and everyone stomps their feet and has a fit.
By Needle-Nose - 6 Months Ago
Freightrain (1/11/2019)
Don't think anyone has posted the link of the guy on Youtube that blew up a 16v71 genset?  Everyone was crying about it.  He kept stating, come pay the $800 and take it away.  His local scrapper had a couple of them and no one wanted it.  He blows it up and everyone stomps their feet and has a fit.

Larry you see and hear that all the time, save this, save that and ragging on someone because the build or alter something to suit their vision of what they want. Unfortunately this has come to the forfront I feel due to the anonymity of the Internet. Ya wanna save it then belly up to the bar with your billfold in hand.
By Wolfcreek_Steve - 6 Months Ago
Needle-Nose (1/12/2019)
Freightrain (1/11/2019)

Larry you see and hear that all the time, save this, save that and ragging on someone because the build or alter something to suit their vision of what they want. Unfortunately this has come to the forfront I feel due to the anonymity of the Internet. Ya wanna save it then belly up to the bar with your billfold in hand.

I've gone through this with my hot rods, but you never see them on the road with their pristine restoration. (in their words, it's to precious to take out of the garage)

By tundra - 6 Months Ago
used ta have a few 16v71s layin round from off road end dumps back in the days I did the gold mine stuff
mosta the stuff ended up goin ta scrappers   as even the ones that didn't have ;;;ventilated;; blocks didn't have much left
did save some parts though