Coleman Trucks

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Topic22610.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Slim 3979 - 3 Years Ago
Welcome to the forum, Mr. Cobra 5,  That sure is a good looking tug.

Slim
By thundersnow70 - 3 Months Ago
that is where the inner axle seal lives. Remove the eight bolts holding the stub on and the stub falls right off.
By Bill White - 5 Years Ago
Douglas AC-47D Spooky aka "Puff, the Magic Dragon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKOrpyO0z48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73SciCMf9Rw
So let's talk about wheel bearings. Timken 73562/73875. I know those numbers by heart. I will give credit to a local bearing supplier parts guy named Jerry for finding them. He did some internet searching and found a supplier in China. He had his I.T. guy look at the web page and said it looked legit. He talked to his manager and his manager said NO WAY. They would not get involved with China, but he said he would give me all the info. The company name is Sun Rises Group Limited in Hong Kong. After about 30 emails and a bunch of research I wired the money for 1. When I say research I mean it. I called Hong Kong to see who answered, got the number off the web page. It was obvious they sold bearings and the name was correct. It was also obvious we had a language barrier. I google street viewed the address, the building matched the picture on the web page. I street view the bank address, it showed up as HSBC. Everything was looking good. I googled some shipping terms so I didn't sound like a hillbilly in SD. MOQ, Measure of Quantity, PI, Purchase Informa or purchase order etc.I wanted them to think they were dealing with an industrial business. EVERYONE thought I was nuts to wire money to China, my wife and kids, my co-workers, everyone at the bank etc. I learned with international money wiring it all has to be done in one day and it cost $50 just to wire. Plus the Fed has to clear it. I had to send proof of the money wire to them being careful not to send any of my account info to them. About a week later they told me it was arranged. A week after that DHL sent me a tracking number, and a week after that a bearing and race showed up.

When I went to get another one the old email address was dead. After more research I found it back but under SDVV which is a German bearing company. All I can figure is that they merged some time after bearing #1. When I began email them it jumped back to SunRisesGroup. Then to make things worse I received two quotes back. One being about 400% higher than the other. So I dealt with the cheaper one and set everything up. After they received my money they informed me they were out of stock. I fired off a nasty email about them selling out in a matter of days and figured My money was gone. That same night they informed me they sourced one and it would be shipped. Bearing #2 came out of Singapore. Only about 1500 miles away from Hong Kong. Needless to say that one showed up as well. Took about a month. I was feeling lucky so I asked if they had 2 more and they said they did. I asked for another PI and wired more money. Bearing #3 and #4 came together and took about 3 weeks.

From what I can tell I have been emailing a distribution center in Hong Kong that has merged with a big German bearing supplier. They must source bearings from all over Asia. It was a stressful adventure, but well worth it. Something that surprised me was the Google search. Jerrys first search was just the numbers, no Timken. Another thing that was troublesome was the quotes. I did this 3 times and had 3 different bearing quote prices and 2 different shipping quote prices. Makes me think there is no set price, just whatever they figure they could get. In short if anyone wants some of these bearings go to SDVV bearing, or SRG beaing. SDVV should get you the SRG email address, wire some money, hold your breath and cross your fingers.

By rubbishman - 3 Years Ago
Craig, sorry for delay but it is the Crismon IH book, I don't have it with me here but there are at least two photos of the units I mentioned.

I suspect that those "generic  cabs" were products of a company called "Truck Cabs Inc." This name has been mentioned on this site before. It appears they were a vendor that supplied cabs not only for trucks but various equipment such as cranes, etc. also. They all seem to have details such as the "cap roof", the one-piece stamping with drip rails formed in at the edges. 

They seemed to have  furnished most of those half-cab designs popular through the sixties. I have the hulk of a Highway boom truck with one.
By Hambone - 3 Years Ago
Craig,

I don't know who made those cabs but a company called Crenlo made cabs for Coleman.I don't know which ones though.

Rich Barker at CDOT is another person to contact about Coleman.
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Hey Turtlebrain, 

Yes, the vast majority of Coleman trucks from the very beginning of  production in August 1920 through closure in 1987 were, as you say "highway-going" trucks, mainly trucks with dump bodies that could also be mounted with snow plows, or other special rigs for setting telephone poles, logging, tank trucks, aircraft refueling, aircraft recovery, well drilling, and a wide variety of other special applications.  Several, such as the very early C-25 (1925) and the much later G-55 also came in "tractor" versions with a 5th wheel for hauling over-the-road semi-trailers.  In about 1966, they also developed a prototype over-the-road truck named the SpaceStar.  

There were also other, special, dedicated-use vehicles, such as the massive D55RE rotary snow plow built under license from SnowBlast Corporation, or the 4-ton, G-55A mounted with a Quick-Way Model - E shovel with attachments produced in WW-II (military designation G-84)

As a side note, from 1920 through about 1923-4, the trucks were known as Holmes Trucks, Plains Motors Trucks, then Holmes again briefly, until 1924 when brothers Alfred Eliot Coleman and George Levi Coleman bought controlling interest in Plains Iron Works, and then re-branded the truck as "Coleman."  
By Hambone - 4 Years Ago
Craig
about two thirds of the way down the page is a black and white photo of a bus in Lakewood,CO.
Do you know if it is a Coleman? There was supposed to be a Coleman bus at this park according to several people I've talked to. Seen a color photo from Don Chew years ago, he was not certain it was a Coleman.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/107830-commercial-vehicle-nostalgia/page-3

By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
30 year UPS Mechanic (8/21/2016)
Craig I'm new on this site.I just bought the 1956 Ford T-700 6x6 with the Coleman front drive.I have a question-the front drive axle has 4 plugs-1 is the drain plug on the bottom 2 plugs are in front of the housing 1 is high and 1 is low-and a plug on the left-drivers side of the gear housing behind axle-which plug is the correct hole to fill to with gear oil? The only identification I can find on the front drive axle is a "35" number cast on the left back side of the axle housing .THANKS!! Richard Horstmeyer 785-625-7986

1956 Ford T-700 6x6 with Coleman Front Drive Conversion

Hi Richard,

Congrats on the purchase, and we are looking forward to photos!

Does your Ford truck have heavy dome hub protectors in front, and if so are they marked in any way, such as "Coleman 4x4," or perhaps even "Howe-Coleman"? In the alternative, does it have Dayton wheels with the Coleman power-yoke concealed inside?

I am currently on extended travel, but will be back fully on line in a couple weeks.

Keep Calm and Coleman On!
Craig

By ppsyclone - 2 Years Ago
I am hoping to make that one myself.

By Eddy Lucast - 5 Years Ago
Craig send me an email.
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
DMac (8/1/2015)
Craig,
The people in the photo are C. F. Decker,  Peggy (my mother), and my half-sister, and half-brother.  I took the photo but I don't remember the exact year... some time around 1968 or 1969.  Those were Coleman employees tying down the tractors, but I don't remember the names.   Oh ... pardon my 'oops',  I meant the Englewood Plant (4002 S. Clay Street)  for the last place I saw the ELM Truck.  
I started working at American Coleman Co. in early September 1968, after getting out of the U.S. Air Force.  Owner, E.L. Martin sold the company to Kansas City Southern Industries and they acquired Am.Coleman Co. as a wholly owned subsidiary on December 5, 1968.   Don G. Higgins succeeded E.L. Martin as president.  C.F. Decker became Vice President-Sales.  Bob Case Vice President-Accounting. Here is a picture of the E.L.M truck as it appeared on a post card.  I think the photo was taken by Grissinger, Littleton, CO.http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/ae116f25-8484-4b60-95e3-86cc.jpg   http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6bafaf4d-c396-47d1-b50f-23b2.jpg
Yes, Swank was an interesting and 'gruff' person but he did get the job done and I always got along with him just fine.  I believe his title after KCSI took over was "Plant Manager".   Under Swank were:  Francis Wier, Tooling, J. A. Patch and L. Wiegel, Machining and W. D. Van Lue, Assembly.   The Chief Engineer was Ray E. Schierenberg and the Project Engineers were:  Tibor Czibok and Everitt Van Engen. Tibor was from Budapest, Hungary. 

Dennis,

Wow! Those names were a stroll down memory lane. Don Higgins and Dad got along great, and his daughter worked at the "Sell-4-Less" Rexall Drug Store down at the corner of Curtis & Main ( I dated her briefly). Don Higgins went back all the way back to the American Road Equipment Company days in Omaha. The "J.A. Patch" you mentioned was probably Jerry Patch, a master machinist dating all the way back to 1922 at the Plains Iron Works / Plains Motors Company at 8th & Larimar Streets. When Jerry retired, I think he was perhaps the longest "continually" serving Coleman employee. "Bud" Celein and sister Helen may have retired by the time you started, but they were also from the very early days. Yes, the ELM photo was taken by John A. Grissinger (Main Street) who was for all intents and purposes the company photographer from the late 1930s well into the 1970s. 

Great memories...
Craig

By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Hey "Trucker,"

Thank you so much for posting those Coleman production numbers from Ward's Automotive Yearbook 1951 and 1953.

By coincidence, I am going to the Department of Transportation Reference Library in Washington, DC tomorrow morning. My research indicates they have Ward's on the shelf from 1938 through the present. Some editions even have short write-ups on Coleman. Looking forward to it!

Craig
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Hey T, 

Yes, that's the SpaceStar -- 4-wheel steer, 4-wheel drive, and integrated cab and trailer arrangement where the trailer is hard-connected to the cab with a rails locking mechanism rather than a 5th-wheel.  In the publicity photo you posted, the trailer has been backed off a bit and they are looking down at the rigid locking rails    
By ppsyclone - 3 Years Ago
Craig,

Do you have any pictures and information on the Bull of the Woods snow blower?
Do you know where the Space Star, I last saw it north of Denver on US 85/Vasquez more than 20 years ago?

Thank,

Brian
By John Frances - 2 Years Ago
Tony Bullard (10/2/2016)
Very nice job John. May I ask how you did that?

To get the big images at Hathi Trust right click on the page you want and click Properties. The end of the address in the Properties box looks like this for the Coleman ad : width=850. Copy and paste the address into the address bar then change the 850 (or what ever number is there) to 1360 (that's the width when you're fully zoomed in) and push Enter. That will be the big version, then save it as a picture. (If you use Firefox right click on the page and click View Image then change the 850 to 1360 in the address bar and push Enter.)

I use Microsoft Paint to copy chunks of the white background and paste it over the watermarks and scanning flaws. Since they started putting the watermarks over the title/date at the bottom of the page I try to find another page with the piece of  title/date I need, then save the page, crop out the piece I need and paste it onto the page I'm saving.

Sounds complicated but it's quick and easy once you start doing it. It's harder to explain than it is to do it.

This collar rides between the wheel bearings. There is a wedge under it used for tightening the preload on the spindle bearings. If it won't slide off take the bolt out of the back and hammer the wedge back to relieve the pressure.
By chtrout - Last Year
ATHS Des Moines – Lets Talk Coleman Trucks!

I will be attending the 2017 ATHS National Convention and Truck Show in Des Moines, Iowa on May 25th through 27th, to include "Tour #8" of the I-80 Truck Stop in Wolcott, IA on Friday the 26th.

•    Although it is not a well-known fact, while Coleman trucks were sold throughout the West, Mid-West, and well up into the Northeast, Iowa county road departments were by far the largest purchasers of Coleman trucks, second only in sales to Colorado state & county road departments. I am hopeful that some Coleman "survivors" will be in the Des Moines truck show, as well as some Coleman FDA (front drive axle) conversions. Iowa farmers also purchased a significant number of farm tractors with special-order Coleman FDAs installed while on the IH Farmall (by far the largest user), Cockshutt, Minneapolis-Moline, and Oliver tractor assembly lines.

•    Also, the I-80 Truck Stop historical collection includes Don Chew's beautiful restoration of a 1941 Coleman G-55. Interestingly, the "I-80" G-55 is a younger sibling of the restored 1941 Coleman G-55 #7109 currently on display at the Bickford Pavilion, Yarmouth, ME. The "Bickford" G-55 was from early in the 1941 production year, when Coleman briefly experimented with using Highland cabs, while the "I-80" G-55 was from later in the year when Coleman went back to fabricating its own cabs, but this time out of aluminum.

I will be roaming around in a bright orange Coleman cap, so please introduce yourself if you want to stop and talk Coleman trucks! I will also have a very small number of Coleman caps and patches with me, while the supply lasts.

Let's Talk Coleman Trucks!
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
1977 COLEMAN G-40-G (MB-4) UP FOR SALE....

While I have no personal role in this sale, I am always interested in seeing Coleman trucks and tugs preserved when possible.

I have noticed that the Village of Rantoul, Illinois is offering a 1977 American Coleman "G-40-G" for sale on eBay. The G-40 series was more commonly known by it’s military designation of "MB-4."

This is reportedly a 1977 model, which would have been a very early serial number after the G-40 was simplified and downsized from the original 1954 design. As an unusual feature, I would have expected a Allis-Chalmers 4331 engine, but the seller reports a Chrysler 318, much like had been used in the previous, heavier G-40 model.  Perhaps this was a transition period?

The seller reports the G-40-G runs and is in generally good condition, with the exception of the brake master cylinder being empty (leak or other issues?)

The G-40-G (MB-4) may be viewed at:   (very detailed data is provided, including work history)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161426068103

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a2fde024-c32b-4096-808b-dfa6.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0c1f2413-1d55-4213-8cac-1497.jpg

Any Coleman collectors out there that might want to give this guy a good home?
By Lynn D - 5 Years Ago
I don't have pictures but we had alot of Coleman aircraft tugs in the Air Force, they sported a suicide knob and front and rear steering, you could make'em do all kinds of crazy things, like going down the flight line sideways. I don't remember what engines they had but will never forget the electric clutch with the clutch button on the gear shift knob. I got a real butt chewing from a CWO for taking a C-130 out of his hanger too fast, but he also said I was the best he'd ever seen on backing, what he didn't know was they backed just like a hay wagon. The Coleman didn't have a left and right brake like a farm tractor, but the front and rear steering made up for it.
By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
oldtirediron (2/29/2016)
I bought a G-40 about 6 months ago, and I have started to refit it for commercial snow fighting service. The apparent lack of information on these machines has resulted in many hours staring at a screen through bloodshot eyes. Therefore I would like to thank Mr. Trout for sharing his extensive knowledge with the world. What a fascinating read.

Incidentally, perhaps I missed something in Mr. Trout's post about the various models of G-40's. At some point during the A-F model changes, Coleman moved from the Chrylser 6 cyl. industrial engine to a Chrysler LA V-8. Whether it is a 318 or 360, I am not sure. However this engine is wedded to a 4 speed automatic (Allison? That's what's on mine). This power train bridged the G model upgrade. My H model has the Allis Chalmers diesel.

On a different tack, what ever happened to American Coleman? Why doesn't anyone use that style of front driving axle anymore?

Thanks.

First of all, welcome to our friendly Coleman discussion thread!

We will truly look forward to photos of your G-40-H "MB-4" restoration and return to useful service, this time "pushing" snow, rather than "pulling" aircraft. If you do post photos, please include the general cab layout and the American Coleman data plate , if it is still present, as well as any additional details regarding your engine and transmission.

Since there is so very little published on the history of American Coleman, this is very much a "participatory learning exercise" as various people, like yourself, now share what that have learned from their own experiences.

American Coleman G-40 "MB-4" Engines and Transmissions

As for evolving engine types, yes, you are exactly right, but we are still lacking full documentation on the actual "transition" years.

•    The Oct 1964, Dec 1968, and May 1970 Technical Manuals all list the G-40 engine as being a "6-cylinder Chrysler Industrial-30" (IND30), sometimes calling it a "flat-head," and sometimes calling it an "L-head."

•    The 1964 and 1968 manuals both spec a "Clark 280-V" transmission, but the 1970 manual lists an "A731-2," which I do not recognize, but I am wondering if the "A" prefix may indicate "Allison"?

•    As you probably know, the "Chrysler LA V-8" series was first introduced in 1964 ½, but the "318" did not come out until 1967, and the "360" came out in 1971, and I do not yet know when one or both were actually first "spec'd" in an American Coleman bid for a USAF contract for the G-40 series "MB-4" tractors. 

•    The G-40-G variant did not come out until 1976, and although I have very limited documentation, I believe the "G" and "H" variants both came equipped with the "Allis-Chalmers 4331" diesel engine. I have no information on the transmission, but "Allison" would certainly make perfect sense.   I do not yet have a G-40- "H "or "G" manual, so I currently lack additional details. 

>> Keep in mind that "some" American Coleman "G-4O" survivors may have also had their engines replaced or upgraded during subsequent rebuilds.

As for your general question regarding "whatever happened to American Coleman," I will work something up in the next few days as a free-standing posting. 

Not sure I have been much help, but that is what I have so far...

Craig
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
American Coleman had a licensing arrangement with the SnowBlast Corporation, 4695 Ironton Street, Denver, Colorado to build rotary snow plows, licensed by SnowBlast, but mounted on a Coleman model DD55RE 4x4, 4-wheel-steer chassis. The "carrier" (Coleman truck) was powered by a 220hp Cummins diesel and the SnowBlast rotor assembly (including helical spiral cutting bars) was powered by a super-charger Cummins 320hp Cummins diesel. The plow could handle 2300 tons of snow an hour and "cast" it as far as 120 feet.

I have identified DD55RE Coleman-mounted R-2200-H SnowBlast rotary snow plows dating from 1960-1971. The 1960 model can be identified by the "stepped" appearance of the engine compartments in back, the 320hp engine being much larger than the 220hp engine. These units tended to be delivered to airports and state highway departments in yellow or orange. The US Air Force may have had some units also.   In the 1971 CR-2200-H variant, both engine compartments are level with each other. The only ones I have identified were delivered in olive-drab to the US Army (4 units) in 1971.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/ff645904-9132-4cd1-95ae-ce9f.jpg

•    Does anyone know of any Coleman-mounted models later than 1971?

•    Does anyone know of any other Coleman chassis models, other than the DD55RE?

(As a point of clarification, SnowBlast licensed a number of other companies to also provide carriers (perhaps Oshkosh, FWD, Walter and others - not sure), but not all SnowBlasts were mounted on a Coleman chassis.)

Everything I find is being provided to Don Chew for his pending book on Coleman.
By Tony Bullard - 2 Years Ago
John Frances (10/4/2016)
Tony Bullard (10/4/2016)
The problem I had, have, is I couldn't find the CCJ 1961 50th Anniversary Edition. I found three from late '60 to early '62 but couldn't find the Special 1961.

It's in v.102 between the September and October issues (starts here). I think it was a supplement to the September issue. The whole thing is badly scanned. CCJ index is here.

Thanks John. I was there but missed it completely.

By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 5 Years Ago
This is probably not what you are looking for, but it is the best I have. This Coleman CF-55-AF is the earlier model with the Ford-based cab. The aircraft is a huge Martin Mars seaplane built at the end of WW2. It was in fire bomber service in the Pacific Northwest when this photo was taken. Pat MacPhail sent me this many years ago.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/ebe41f52-b517-4e1d-bf55-2285.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/3af32db9-264c-476b-99f6-d77f.jpg
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 2 Years Ago
I was thinking the same thing Hamish. You never know, you might still see it, after everyone forgets where they saw it !
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
FAMECE (Family of Military Engineer Construction Equipment)

As background, the US Army Engineers developed the FAMECE (Family of Military Engineer Construction Equipment) program to establish a very standardized set of construction vehicles that would utilize a common prime mover (Universal Engineer Tractor – "UET") that could act interchangeably as a loader, dozer, pull a scraper (earth mover), and similar military construction functions. The equipment was required to be very transportable, to include air-drop capability.

Perhaps as many as 5-6 companies entered the competition, submitting various "UET" prototypes for evaluation, to include the American Coleman Corporation of Littleton, Colorado.
  • American Coleman "UET" prototype submissions included the D44PM (essentially a towing tractor, but sometimes also mounted with a small dozer blade) and the much larger DPM743 (mounted with a large dozer blade), as well as the D44BV (a very compact, but rugged towing variant).  For additional reading, see Don Chew's article in the March/April 2001 edition of Antique Power, pp 26-30. 
  • Ultimately, the Clark Equipment Company (CEC) emerged from the Validation Phase of the competition in about 1969 as the successful contractor for the Full Scale Development (FSD) Phase, and the other competitors, to include American Coleman, then tried with very limited success to instead offer their designs on the general commercial construction and agricultural markets. 
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/25df7908-f070-436f-bc5c-ad95.jpg

American Coleman's D44PM ("prime mover") Universal Engineering Tractor (UET) entry pulling a standardized scraper during the Validation Phase competition.  Source: Craig H. Trout collection. 

Question: Does anyone have any detailed information on the early phases of the FAMECE program? 
  • My current research suggests that the FAMECE program was developed as the result of a 1965 policy directive in which the US Army sought to reduce the size and weight of equipment, to include military construction vehicles, and it appears that the competition phase concluded by about 1969, and then full-scale development continued well into the 1970s. 
  • However, these dates are in apparent conflict with newspaper accounts of American Coleman developing air-drop-capable tractors for the US Army Engineers as early as 1954 that seemed to be very similar to FAMECE specifications, and since my father worked at American Coleman, I have personal memories of various military engineering tractors and earth movers painted in olive drab being tested throughout the mid-to-late 1950s, and perhaps into the early 1960s.
  • ∙Was the FAMECE program actually developed in two (or more) distinct phases? Was there a mid-to-late 1950s competition, followed by a totally re-designed competition in the late 1960s? 
Any information or ideas regarding resources would be greatly appreciated.   I am conducting this research in support of Don Chew’s pending book on the history of Holmes / Plains / Coleman / American Coleman trucks.

As always, Thanks!

By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
I am hoping to find someone who has a copy of the March-April 2011 issue of Double Clutch magazine who might be willing to copy the 5-page article regarding the 1941 Coleman.

I will of course pay all copy and shipping costs. Please email me if you have a copy and would be willing to share.

UPDATE:  
  • Special thanks to Jeff Lakaszcyck who was kind enough to send me a scanned copy of the requested article.  THANKS Jeff!
By Tony Bullard - Last Year
Thanks, keep us posted.
By Tony Bullard - Last Year
Mark, I would assume the wheel bearings aren't anything special. There are probably bearing manufacture numbers on them, not Coleman numbers and should be easy to source at a power transition supplier (bearing store).  If there are no numbers on them they can be identified by ID, OD and width.

Ya know what they say about assuming things.
EDIT: similar to 55 and 56
By oldtirediron - 2 Years Ago
A truck just showed up on craigslist that supposedly has a Coleman four wheel conversion. Trouble is, it doesn't look like a Coleman axle. Am I missing something?

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/5583877709.html

Hopefully I have more pictures on the way.

Thanks.
By Brocky - 3 Years Ago
Craig

Found this over on Big Mack Trucks site.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/42071-1956-ford-f-700-awd/
By chtrout - 3 Months Ago
Coleman Racing Operations 1929-1932

This photo posted earlier in this thread depicts the only race cars that Coleman ever built from the ground up and were named "Coleman Specials." They were built on a custom chassis with 120hp Graham-Page motors and Coleman Front Drive Axles (FDAs), thus making them 4-wheel drive.

These three chassis were followed in 1930 by two other "Coleman Specials," that were actually Miller-183s purchased new and retrofitted with a Coleman FDA. On a side note, one of the two Miller-183s was eventually refitted with a double engine, but did not handle well at all.

Coleman racing operations began with these three entries in 1929 "Pike's Peak Hill Climb," and concluded in 1932, following several failed attempts in the "Indianapolis-500" with the two Miller-183s.   While none of the front-drive Coleman race cars ever scored a 1st place win, every single chassis eventually "placed" in at least one of its entered races, and this achievement brought much notice in the automotive industry to the Coleman Motors Corporation front-drive axles and the innovative mind of Harleigh Holmes. Front-drive race cars were still a very new concept, and Coleman was very much in the forefront, right along with front-drive racing competitors Miller and FWD.  Alfred Elliot "Al" Coleman, who along with his brother George had purchased controlling interest in the "Plains Truck," formerly named the "Holmes Truck," renamed the company after themselves (Coleman Motors), and "Al" being a racing enthusiast, prompted and financed the Colemn Motors brief entry into the racing arena.  

In the photo you posted, all three Coleman-built "Coleman Specials" are lined up during preparations for the 1929 "Pike's Peak Hill Climb" on 2 Sep 1929.  Left to right, the entire founding generation of the "Unser Racing Dynasty" – brothers Jerome Henry "Jerry" Unser, Sr. (1899-1967) in Coleman-Special chassis "C" painted as #6 (came in 6th); Louis "Lou" Unser, Jr. (1896-1979) in Coleman-Special chassis "B" painted as #5 (came in 5th); and Joseph J. "Joe" Unser (1897-1930) in Coleman-Special chassis "A" painted as #4, which came in 2nd place.  On 13 Feb 1930, Joe Unser would be killed in his second-known street crash in this same vehicle (chassis "A").  From outward appearances, all three "Coleman Specials" may have been virtually identical.
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Coleman Front Drive (4x4) Axles and Differentials – General Information
  • For most of its history, Coleman did large numbers of in-house 4x4 conversions, primarily for Ford, Chevy, and GMC trucks, but also a variety of other truck manufacturers. 
  • Howe-Coleman would also install 4x4 conversions on virtually any truck brand on the market, but numerous International Harvesters have been seen. 
  • Marmon-Herrington called their version the "MC-9" (Marmon-Coleman-9) and installed these 4x4 conversions mainly on GMCs from 1964-1984.
In the various diagrams and images below, note the very distinctive "power yoke" straddling the hub, very much like inventor Harleigh Holmes had first patented it in 1916.  Since the power yoke rotated with the wheel, they were ordinarily covered with a heavy dome hub-protector.

Here are some selected images and diagrams for the benefit of all who might be interested:

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/b042c396-8a65-4121-8631-582f.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/f4ecd8ce-4dff-43ea-9be6-5cbf.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/66da5edf-dfec-41e5-b978-2c61.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/ccc9508e-4365-42eb-b03e-5690.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c7cbde0e-c8fa-4552-9160-b424.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/d775f33d-8c34-483d-8f92-6a56.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0d7d0f4e-a573-4bd8-bf3d-e254.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/34256587-76db-4e0f-990e-f629.jpg

Hope these images help those interested in exactly what a Coleman 4x4 axle should look like, either assembled or disassembled. 

By jarradellis - Last Year
Hi there. First time joining a forum. Took a bit of research to find you guys so hopefully I'm doing this correctly!

Recently traded a truck for this frame I believe to be a former Coleman tug. I was hoping someone might have more information like gear ratios and transfer case ratio. I've seen some photos with Chrysler 318's or 360's and my transmission appears to be Chrysler. Any idea how it worked? Looks like the hydraulic hoses ran through it, had a shifter, but a torque converter also? I'm not familiar with this set up so any information at all would be greatly appreciated!
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
John Frances (9/7/2015)
Original axle strapped on the back.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/558c1da9-ef50-4f7f-b188-1300.jpg

Hey John,

Great shot of a Coleman Front Drive Conversion, presumably from their "kit" that sold so very well.

I am not a Ford guy and I cannot quite read the Ford model number. Do you know?

Several other photos I have seen from Truck Engineering Corporation always have quite a bit of data on the back. Does this one include the Coleman axle model #?

My sense is that Truck Engineering Corporation in St. Louis did quite a few conversions over the years, but virtually any competent garage could install the Coleman kit purchased from an authorized Coleman dealership. I have also seen quite a few installed by Pallady Welding & Equipment Company in Oklahoma City.  Both companies were "authorized dealers" for Coleman Front-Drive Conversion kits. .

By this time, Howe-Coleman was also installing their own "knock-off" version based on a slightly-altered Coleman axle that on which they attempted (unsuccessfully) to get their own patent. 

Do you have any more of these? Again great shot – thank you for sharing!!

Craig

By Tony Bullard - 5 Years Ago
One more. Independent front and rear steering so it could crab. I don't remember any rear spring.

Brocky (1/7/2016)
Craig
Thank you for the very interesting information..

Dan
IH/Farmall, Minnapolis Moline, and I believe Oliver all used this front wheel drive. I may have posted this MM at Roger Gerharts earlier in this topic

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/9d0a385c-f58b-4973-94c3-aaf6.jpg

I also thought Oliver may have used Coleman but after reading 79 Oliver service manuals it seems they all used this type which may have been Elwood, Ross or their own.

John Frances (10/4/2016)
Tony Bullard (10/2/2016)
Very nice job John. May I ask how you did that?

To get the big images at Hathi Trust right click on the page you want and click Properties. The end of the address in the Properties box looks like this for the Coleman ad : width=850. Copy and paste the address into the address bar then change the 850 (or what ever number is there) to 1360 (that's the width when you're fully zoomed in) and push Enter. That will be the big version, then save it as a picture. (If you use Firefox right click on the page and click View Image then change the 850 to 1360 in the address bar and push Enter.)

I use Microsoft Paint to copy chunks of the white background and paste it over the watermarks and scanning flaws. Since they started putting the watermarks over the title/date at the bottom of the page I try to find another page with the piece of  title/date I need, then save the page, crop out the piece I need and paste it onto the page I'm saving.

Sounds complicated but it's quick and easy once you start doing it. It's harder to explain than it is to do it.

Thanks John. I'll play with that. The problem I had, have, is I couldn't find the CCJ 1961 50th Anniversary Edition. I found three from late '60 to early '62 but couldn't find the Special 1961.

By PZ 1 - 2 Years Ago
American - http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/103050/What-Am-I-for-Tuesday-10042016

By Slim 3979 - 3 Years Ago
Craig and Dennis, we really, really enjoyed that Coleman history lesson.  THanks

Slim
By Park Olson - 3 Years Ago
Would that load be underwater cable ?
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Re: Military Designation for the Coleman G-75 "tug"

As most Coleman researchers know, most Coleman trucks or towing tractors (tugs) built for the military had both a Coleman model number as well as a military designator. 

•    As an example, the ubiquitous Coleman "G-40" Air Force Towing Tractor was known as an "MB-4" in military circles, and is most often remembered as the MB-4 even to this day.

Question: Coleman later produced a much heavier variant of the G-40 and gave it the model number of a "G-75." It had the same cab, but a wider frame and significant ballast weights for added traction.

•    Does anyone know the military designation (MB-?) for the Coleman G-75?

In a similar question, Coleman produced a heavy-frame G-55A in 1943 for the Army Engineers that was mounted with a "Quick-Way" Series-E crane, which also came with an "attachments-trailer" for the clam-shell, shovel, and pile-driver attachments. 

•    Does anyone know the military designation (MB-?) for the Coleman G-55A mounted with a Quick-Way Series-E crane?

Thanks!
Craig
By Hamish - 3 Months Ago
Brocky (7/28/2018)
Learn something new everyday!!!  Did not know Coleman tried to make a farm tractor. BUT those axle ends look planetary rather than Coleman dish????

I agree, they do look like planetary axles-Clark maybe.

By thundersnow70 - Last Year
I didn't mean to come across like I was at a loss for wheel bearing numbers. What I meant was reasonably priced wheel bearings. My Coleman kit Ford uses Timken 73562 bearings and Timken 73875 races. Apparently Timken is no longer making them and the ones on the shelf are BIG money. $500 for one race and $2000 plus for 1 roller bearing. I'm looking at 10k-12k just for wheel bearings. That is why I asked the question. Type it into google and it will blow you away.....I promise.
On a side note they are huge. 5 5/8 ID and over 8 inch OD on the race. Iirc one bearing is rated at 10k load.......x4= a little over built!
By chtrout - 3 Months Ago
thundersnow70 (7/23/2018)
I never thought of it like that before Craig. Like trying to roll a dead vehicle by turning in the center of the hub vs. trying to roll it by the tire. Rolling on the tire would be far easier and take much less effort. I would take issue with some of their promotion claiming only 4 wear points. They obviously refered to the four pins. Two in the ring and two in the yoke. But it's obvious that there is more than 4. Do you need different or better pics Craig or will these work?

Yes, just like turning a bicycle upside down, and then compare trying to turn the center of the wheel with your finger tips, then spin the wheel by the tire (essentially the rim) – you still have your same available muscle strength, but you are now providing much more efficient (therefore powerful) spin to the wheel.

And yes, the "Only 4 Wear Points" sales pitch is in itself a bit of a minor "spin." If they are talking Coleman propriety (patented) parts, I think they were largely correct in their claim -- 2 pins to connect the Power Yoke to the Compensating Ring, and 2 pins to connect the Compensating Ring to the wheel rim. When talking about other non-propriety parts, such as wheel bearings – obviously there is wear.

And yes, I think you have provided very good photo coverage. I would also like to see you comment on "where" you actually did observe significant "wear," and also comment on replacement part numbers and sources. Some parts might have "equivalencies" across multiple manufacturers and suppliers.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture, while a Coleman Model-9 axle and a Model-12 axle may have different ratings, a number of the parts will be the same, and only a few will be specific to the particular axle model. Also, the Coleman FDA on a farm tractor (special order on IH, Minneapolis-Moline, Massey-Ferguson, Cockshutt, et al), may have many of the same parts as say a Coleman Model-9 FDA on a Ford Truck conversion. Said another way, a supplier or dealer with farm tractor NOS hub parts might have parts that will also fit a Coleman FDA conversion on a truck, or even a Coleman aircraft towing tractor. The tractor manufactures may have assigned their own part numbers, but they are dimensionally a perfect fit. The same is true for medium and heavy-duty truck manufacturers, such as IH, that installed Coleman FDAs (special order) on their truck assembly lines – they often gave their own internal part numbers for standard off-the-shelf Coleman FDAs.

By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
One of the small but important SnowBlast details I forgot to mention is that it had a really interesting spinning insert in the windshield that literally spun at something like 1,000 rpms (not sure I have that right) and it would literally spin off any amount of slush, ice and snow, and so the visibility for the driver was just great. In later models, the cab was raised to sit well above the rotor assembly, again for great visibility for the operator. 

See the photo in my previous post showing the circular white frame on the driver-side windshield that housed the spinning insert.
Here's a bigger fixed up version of the same scan.
By chtrout - Last Year
While I do not know the early history for "Weicker Transfer & Storage," they had started buying Coleman trucks by about the mid-to-late 1920s, most often as semi-tractors to pull very early low-boy trailers and such.  I do know they had previously been in business as "Weicker Brothers & Cliff Transfer" in the 1890s, but reorganized as Wiecker Transfer & Storage in the early 1900s.  

Recently, we had a person post a photo of a Coleman truck, still in reddish-brown Weicker T&S livery on our Coleman Trucks Facebook page, indicating that he wanted to sell it, but it looks like he has now deleted the photo. From memory, it looked like it was perhaps a Coleman E-57 (or a similar heavy-model in the E-series), from the mid-to-late 1930s. I could not tell, but it looked like it might have had a 5th wheel, not sure. Only the front 3/4 of the truck was clearly showing. If I can ever locate the photo again, I will post it.
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 2 Years Ago
UPS, Welcome to JOT. If I remember right your T800 has Eaton 28M rears like the ones on my White WB28. Hopefully yours are in much better shape than mine were !
By Eddy Lucast - 3 Months Ago
Yes
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
Trucker (3/3/2015)
1929 Coleman 6x6
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0cf9a9c5-f78e-4401-a507-040a.jpg

- - - -

Coleman "Model-10" 5-ton "Heavy Duty Refueling Unit" -- US Army Air Corps "Type-A" Refueler Truck

I was excited to see your posting of a Coleman "Model-10" 5-ton "Heavy Duty Refueling Unit" which was designated by the US Army Air Corps (USAAC) as a "Type-A" refueler truck.

>>> Question – Was this image part of an article or advertisement, or was it just an inserted image along with other recent truck developments?

•    Based on the date of the above Motor Transport article, 24 Jun 1929, I assume this was USAAC U.S. Registration Number #80757 which had been delivered to Selfridge Field, Mount Clemens, Michigan on 4 Sep 1928. 

•    If this is correct, the this was the first Coleman "Model-10" 6x6 refueler delivered to the US Army Air Corps, and was the biggest truck of any kind ever owned by the USAAC up to that date. 

By May of 1929, the USAAC was so impressed with the rugged performance and increased capacity of the Coleman "Model-10" 6x6 refueler, they had just placed an order for four more units. At least one of the units was assigned to Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio, but was instead re-configured as an aircraft salvage truck, and at least one "Model-10" refueler was assigned to Langley Field, Virginia. Another unit was ultimately assigned to Henry Post Army Airfield at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma, but I am not sure if it actually "started" there.  

∙    The Coleman Model-10 "Type-A" refueler consisted of a Coleman "Model-10" 5-ton chassis outfitted with a 1,200 gal. tank for aviation gasoline, and two 100 gal. tanks for water and oil. A unique feature of the truck was the tandem single wheels in the rear, as preferred by the USAAC. 

∙    The Coleman Model-10 was a huge leap forward for the USAAC, since it replaced previous refuelers that only had a very meager capacity of 350 gallons each. The new Model-10 was assigned to a Keystone "B-5 Panther" biplane bomber squadron of 9 planes, each with a fuel capacity of 300 gals. These B-5 biplane bombers were among our "first line bombers" through about 1934. 

As background, the USAAC had previously ordered a Coleman 5-ton 4x4 refueler (perhaps a Model-4), and although also designated as a "Type-A," it 
had only one set of duals in back, as opposed to the Model-10 which had two tandem single wheels in back, which the USAAC found to perform better on its air fields. 

∙    This previous 4x4 "Type-A" refueler, as well as a 4x4 C-25 "Type-B" refueler and a 4x4 C-25 "Type-C" refueler were all initially assigned to Wright Field in Dayton, Ohio. The "Type-B" and "Type-C" trucks, due to their relatively small fuel tanks, were found to be impractical, and soon re-configured as "Photo Trucks," which I assume were mobile dark rooms for servicing aerial photographic missions of the observation squadrons. 

= = =
Questions:

1.    Does anyone out there have an authoritative source on late-1920s US Army Air Corps specifications for what made a refueler a "Type-A, B, or C"?   I assume it was tank capacity, but have not found a table indicating details. 

2.    In addition to the 3-ton C-25 "Type-B" and "Type-C" refueler trucks converted to Photo Trucks, the US Army Air Corps also operated a small fleet of Coleman 3-ton C-25s configured as "windlass trucks" (also known as "Blimp Tenders") for reeling in and out the tether lines for observation balloons/blimps, and a few C-25s were also configured as airfield beacon trucks. Other than Fred W. Chrismon, U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles (Minneapolis, MN, 2001), pg. 279, has anyone seen any other sources on these windlass trucks and beacon trucks?  The USAAC also operated a small number of C-25s configured as common light cargo/utility trucks for use around the airfields, but these were pretty much "off the shelf" configurations with no major modifications that I am aware of.  
  • As a side note, while Fred Chrismon's writeups are generally outstanding, in some cases his specs and dates are just a bit off. For instance on the Colman Model-10 (page 348), it was actually a 5-ton truck and it was only a 1,200 gal capacity tank (per Coleman company materials and USAAC records) 
From this video here, just past the 8:00 mark.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fa0da174-2085-4c63-9df9-0a24.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/03b6ea30-6529-43fc-855e-7237.jpg
By Hambone - Last Year
Hi Craig,
I wanted to post a pic of Don's truck after the restoration with the plow but it's a glossy print and looks like garbage with my scanner.
I'm perplexed by the cab though, the windshields sit lower in relation to the door windows than a Ford and the dash is totally different than Fords I've seen.
Have you seen or know about a Coleman in the west Denver area that belonged to Weicker Moving and Storage? Jim Hatfield told me about it, it's sitting in the owners back yard. I have not tried to contact the owner but Jim told me it would be okay. Here is a pic of a  Coleman Ken Kafka told me about. The owner was more than happy to let me see it. The chassis is supposed to be a 1933? The cab is?

Hope to see you in Littleton again this year.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/1783ad66-2b01-40f9-b33d-0ea7.jpg
If I can add my opinion on the 73562/73875 Timkens. It would be hard to say what was common in 1951 or prior. And from my research, which is probably more than most, these bearings and races were used in HEAVY industry. Ships, aircraft etc. If I recall just one of these bearings will support 10,000 pounds radial or axial, I forget which. But still, 10K! The 60000 series are close, and if I recall some use the same cup, 73875. And I'm pretty sure the 60000 series are not being made anymore as well.  Timken has stopped making 73000 series for now so anyone who has them has adjusted their price to reflect that. Keeping in mind "aircraft or ships", 4K-7K might seem reasonable. Then along comes China. My local supplier thinks this company has bought up supply of someone else from somewhere. If you take into account China's restrictive internet policies, etc. how would they know someone in the Netherlands is trying to sell them for over $4000 US. Plus I doubt they know Timken has stopped making them and probably wont start again. A lot of things dealing with rare old trucks is speculation. What is factual is that Coleman had to use a huge bearing because the hub is huge, no clue why they chose the 73000 series. I will assume Timken stopped production due to lack of demand which in turn drove up the price. I will assume China has them due to them buying overstock or buying stock from someone going out of business. And I will assume China sells them cheaper because it's China. Part of me thinks I should just keep buying them from China just because I have a "system" and relationship with them now. The other side of me knows I'm set with 4 new and 4 old. 

That's my 2 cents, for what its worth.............Mark
By Hambone - 3 Years Ago
Craig,,

Here's the backside of an article I received from Randy Ledermann at least ten years ago.
Was this just someone using the American Coleman name? At one time the Littleton museum had a small display about Coleman that stated one of the last vehicles built was an all terrain rescue vehicle or words similar to that.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/3149b638-2a32-4d75-83f1-f304.bmp
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 3 Years Ago
Craig, check your pm's.
By Slim 3979 - 2 Years Ago
Thanks for posting pics, Mr. Robbmic.  welcome aboard.  Beware of Dr. Bento

Slim
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 5 Years Ago
Great stuff Craig, please keep it coming.
Welcome to the forums Graig. We'd love to see pictures that you may have especially unusual stuff like the "PiggyVac" or other prototype stuff.
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
1951 Coleman Yardmobile trailer spotting vehicle

Jeff Lakaszcyck had posted this to his "What Am I for Monday -- 7/20/2015," and so I copied it here to memorialize it in the Coleman discussion thread, and also get it fully tagged.  (Jeff, I hope that's okay...)
  • By the way Jeff, THANK YOU from all of us for your truly oustanding "What Am I" series -- truly fascinating stuff!!
As I had indicated in my original response, the Coleman Yardmobile was developed at the request of PIE, and long-time Coleman employee Raymond "Bud" Celien did the design work, filing for his patent on 4 Oct 1951, and it being granted 16 Feb 1954.   This would be the begining of a very long series of American Coleman tractor spotting vehicles, and in fact their very last major product line was their "Champion Yard Horse" prior to closing down operations in 1987. 

= = =
Hmm, this is perplexing, someone posted the answer we were looking for early on, but it is gone now. So we will take the last answer, Coleman. While Coleman was the builder of this truck, we also have to give a partial credit to the Ford answers, as some Ford components were used. At least nine of these yard donkeys were built for PIE. Sergey "Trucker" had the right answer. Thanks to John Frances for these photos, and also for providing this info from "Distribution Age" magazine in 1951. 

PACIFIC Intermountain Express Co. is using a new single-seat tractor, called a "yard donkey," to spot and tow semitrailers at freight docks and maintenance facilities.The "donkey" is equipped with a hydraulic fifth wheel controlled by the driver. This permits the yard hostler to back under a semi-trailer and, after the king pin is locked, lift it without cranking up the "landing gear." The landing gear under the semi-trailer is lowered when the road tractor is unhitched to hold the former in a level position. By use of the hydraulic fifth wheel on the "donkey," it is not necessary to raise and lower the landing gear in the yard, as the hydraulic fifth wheel raises the semi trailer high enough for the wheels on the gear to clear the ground as the trailer is moved.From his seat, the hostler can also reach back and connect or disconnect the air lines carrying air to the semi-trailer brakes. A special stand holds the lines at a convenient level to the rear of the seat. The hostler is thus able to back a semi-trailer into the dock or pull it into position for over-the-road service without lost motion. By making the air connection, brakes on the semi-trailers can be tested before hooking on to line-haul power equipment.The short coupling permits mobility that could not be obtained by a standard tractor. This feature is particularly important in the movement of semi-trailers in maintenance and overhaul shops. A 35-ft. semi-trailer can be turned around in its own length or switched easily from one service line to another while undergoing inspection maintenance.The unit measures 13 ft. 2 in. It is fabricated under company specifications by Coleman Motors, Littleton, Colo. Bartlett Trailer Co., Chicago, furnished the hydraulic fifth wheel. Power unit and component parts were supplied by Ford. The company has nine of the units in operation.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/604367ea-f9b4-4db7-8a9f-cea1.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/bc3b1f5d-3da9-478b-9b56-3d92.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/0ae1f9a7-36e8-49c1-a431-5f15.jpg

Jeff
Attachments Coleman 1951 yard dog PIE Line... (6 views, 277.00 KB) Coleman 1951 yard dog PIE Popu... (6 views, 106.00 KB) Coleman 1951 yard dog PIE Popu... (5 views, 226.00 KB)- See more at: http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/80554/What-Am-I-for-Monday-072015?PageIndex=2#bm80646

Thanks again, Jeff, and John Frances -- Great Stuff!
By Lynn D - 5 Years Ago
Michelle I don't know why the Caribou came to mind, maybe because they were stationed at Cam Ranh Bay along with our Herks, I got to or had to(depending on how you look at it) fly on one to Ben Hou one night to fix my 130 that got hit on take off. When it comes to remembering I'm terrible and couldn't name half of the ones you did. Thanks to you and Bill for the pics.
By Junkmandan - 2 Years Ago
Now that you mention it, I probably have a similar picture from last year !
By chtrout - 5 Years Ago
Hi Bill,

No that wasn't me in Castle Rock. Art Julian perhaps? We went to school together and his Dad worked at Coleman for many years also.

As for "the ant," is this what you were referring to? I do not remember the model number, but I believe it was designed for a very low-slung aircraft. Dad helped in some way with the hydraulics. I don't think it ever went into full production. Does anyone else remember any details?

Craig

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/b1b266ce-8dff-4385-974e-126d.jpg
By John Dameron - 2 Years Ago
Eddy Lucast (3/4/2016)
John, do you still have a PeterJ decal on the scooter?

Eddy, I still have it on there. 

By cookieten - 5 Years Ago
Hi guys! I am wondering if anybody would be willing to share a higher-res vintage image of the Federal (F-55-AF) or Coleman (CF-55-AF). I am building a calendar for PWAM down in Pueblo and having one heck of a time trying to find some good images of this tug at work or in the factory. YES! This unique vehicle gets its own page but I need more for it :) We photographed some great models all over the one they have but I thought it would be really special to have a vintage image included with the calendar page. As you can imagine, good images of this rare vehicle are hard to find. Any help would be much appreciated and I will give you full credit in the calendar for use of the image(s). Email me at cookieten AT yahoo.com. Thank you so much :)

Thanks in advance!

Celia

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/d7773434-2ee4-4985-acf4-f721.jpg
By Eddy Lucast - 4 Months Ago
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
International Harvester "Farmall" / Coleman 4x4 Conversions

Much as been written about Coleman 4x4 conversions for light and heavy commercial trucks, either installed as "in-factory" conversions by Coleman, or installed under licence by either Howe-Coleman or Marmon-Herrington.
  • IH Farmall 806 – 1963          
  • IH Farmall 1206 – 1966
  • IH Farmall 1256 – 1967
  • IH Farmall 1456 -1969

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/cc62ec71-f23f-446a-bd0d-ea19.jpg

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/d412131b-2956-41f5-a788-9454.jpg

Source: Two "Mecum Auctions" (Lot S79) photos of a very nicely restored "IH Farmall 1206 Front Wheel Assist" with front Coleman 4x4 hubs. 

I believe I have also seen at least one Massey Ferguson 97 with Coleman 4x4 hubs (may have been a field-install).

I know this is primarily a truck forum, but can anyone else add to the discussion of Coleman 4x4 conversions to commercial farm tractors or earth moving equipment?
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Yes, Hambone, that's exactly right, #187 was restored by Don Chew for Jim Gumbles.  For the full story, see This Old Truck, Vol. 4, No. 5, Nov-Dec 1996, pp. 24-27.  

By Trucker - 4 Years Ago
From Ward's automotive yearbook 1951:
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fabf44d8-6312-455e-ae97-64fd.jpg
By John Frances - 4 Years Ago
ruined by the watermark but...'Rocky Mountain Parks Transportation Co bus #64 Coleman negative exposed Sep '49 Estes Park Colorado'

By Shifty - 5 Years Ago
Eddie
Here's a picture of the cockpit. (WACO GC4A)
This part was hinged, so cargo, or troops could be loaded.
The gliders were towed by C46s, and C 47s with a rope 300 feet long about 150 mph.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/8ce2f532-69e3-4865-b81b-128e.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/315d7ee1-e66e-46c1-aff8-9e9a.jpg
By Jeff Lakaszcyck - 4 Years Ago
Craig, pm me your email address. I have a scan of it I can email you.
By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
Jeff Lakaszcyck (3/1/2016)
Craig, fyi someone posted in the Members section looking for info about a 1956 Ford F600 with a Coleman conversion. I suggested he post here but he hasn't yet.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/91221/New-guy

Thanks Jeff, I'll watch for him and do what I can to help..

Craig

By ColoradoGreen - 3 Years Ago
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/a488a9d6-d44e-4c49-9875-f499.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/35b4d01b-2db1-4e22-8a7c-6eb1.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c85b5030-e599-485c-97b7-4750.jpg

Little Joe.
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
American Coleman had a licensing arrangement with the Marmon-Herrington Company that lasted from approximately 1964-1984 and involved a license to use the patented Coleman 4x4 axle in MH conversions for commercial heavy trucks. The licensed axle was called an "MC-9" (Marmon-Coleman-9) and appears to have been used mainly on conversions of GMC trucks. 

•    Does anyone have photos of a "MC-9" conversion? Was the heavy dome hub protector stamped as "MC-9" or perhaps "Marmon-Coleman"?

•    Were these conversions limited to GMC trucks only?

•    Can anyone provide additional information on these conversions?

(I already have a copy of The Marmon Heritage by George & Stacey Hanley, but it only provides limited information.  I have posted a similar query on the ATHS forum and I am providing everything I find to Don Chew for his pending book on Coleman.)

Thanks!
By Tutlebrain - 3 Years Ago
chtrout, are you aware of any connection / licencing of Coleman's patents abroad? Reason I'm asking is the below - that's a Swiss FBW 5T army truck, you can't avoid noticing the front axle.. Am asking my European contact also. Pic by Keith Paterson.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/6df87e2b-b509-413f-8235-9b56.jpg 
Outer wheel bearing
Colman tug with plow.

By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
John Dameron (3/3/2016)

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/dedaec9c-89d5-4dca-8dfc-86f8.jpgIf I can remember how to attach photos I will post some I took at Macungie a few years ago of a 1929 Coleman.http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/5628c528-2675-4a8f-bb20-c34b.jpg

John, this has always been one of my all-time favorite Coleman restorations, and your photos are exceptional!  I very much hope it is at Macungie again this year, I am wanting to finally meet Dick Hallburg in person and spend some up-close "quality time" with this wonderful old Coleman survivor.   Thanks for sharing! 

Craig

By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
Question on the Coleman G-55 vs. D-55 Trucks

I am hoping for some research assistance if anyone has additional information.

∙    The G-55 Coleman Truck was introduced in 1938 and became the anchor truck line for Coleman Motors well in to the late 1950s, if not later. It went through numerous variants, to include changes in radiators, engines, drive trains, cabs, and general stying. Significant variants included the half-cab G-55A which was introduced sometime before November of 1940 as a "carrier" for Quick-Way cranes both before and then during WW-II.

∙    The D-55 Coleman Truck was introduced in 1954, and production of the G-55 and D-55 overlapped by at least a few years. I have not yet determined when the G-55 went out of production. Regardless, as with it's predecessor, the D-55 went through multiple variants until replaced in 1962 the very modern-looking EH-62.  Among the significant variants of the D-55 was the RE-55 which served as a "carrier" for the SnowBlast rotary snow plow line (multiple models.)

>>> Question: Does anyone out there have any catalog pages or specs for the D-55?  I am fairly familiar with the G-55 but I am lacking authoritative specs on the D-55. I assume a larger engine – I believe the D-55 had a Cummins 290 turbo diesel, at least early in its production run. 

∙    Any assistance would greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you have any D-55 data sheets.

∙    I would also very warmly welcome any other Coleman catalog sheets you might be willing to scan, loan, sell, or even "donate" to our ongoing Coleman research effort.  We are trying very hard to get this right...

As always, Thanks!
By Trucker - 5 Years Ago
Two postwar Colenans Model G-55 with Comfo-Vision and self-made cabs.
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/6647a3a3-a72d-47dd-bc1f-8843.jpg
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/a0487793-8f5e-4b4c-883d-30f9.jpg
By Hambone - 5 Years Ago
Craig,

Any info on this one?

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Uploads/Images/60db2a6c-71e3-483d-a42f-a8fb.jpg
For those that may not remember I have a 1951 Ford Coleman F4. To make a long story short I have sourced all the correct bearings and I am currently deep into the axle rebuild. I don't check in much at JOT so I was just wondering if anyone would want full blown details on this process, maybe just some pics or whatever. I will say that I am amazed at the Coleman specific parts. It's easy to tell the Coleman bits as they all have a Coleman part numbers. C-xxxxxx etc. I believe the only "standard" piece is the brake cylinder.  Craig, I know you have interest, I just need to figure out an easy way to send them to you. I am not really computer savvy. Again, due to my lack of JOT knowledge I don't know if this thread is the place for this info or should I start it's own thread. Let me know please, 

Thanks..................Mark
Here are the links form the previous post. Sometimes computers are expensive windshield smashers, and even then they do not do a good job.
By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
Tony Bullard (10/1/2016)
Craig open this attachment up in a picture viewing software and zoom in to see if it is any better.

Thank you Tony, but this is actually just another copy of the very same "Google scan" I had posted with my message.

•   I am actually needing a new original scan of the actual journal page that is much sharper and without distortion.

Regardless, thank you so much for your very prompt response, it was truly appreciated!

Forgot to mention to pull the axle before removing the pins. 8 bolts hold the axle to the power yoke in this case. Also keep in mind the first time we pulled the power yoke pins it took about 3 days to get them out.
By Hambone - 5 Years Ago
That didn't come out in the right order.

Craig, the building in your photo is still there. The main building is not.
I bought a G-40 about 6 months ago, and I have started to refit it for commercial snow fighting service. The apparent lack of information on these machines has resulted in many hours staring at a screen through bloodshot eyes. Therefore I would like to thank Mr. Trout for sharing his extensive knowledge with the world. What a fascinating read.

Incidentally, perhaps I missed something in Mr. Trout's post about the various models of G-40's. At some point during the A-F model changes, Coleman moved from the Chrylser 6 cyl. industrial engine to a Chrysler LA V-8. Whether it is a 318 or 360, I am not sure. However this engine is wedded to a 4 speed automatic (Allison? That's what's on mine). This power train bridged the G model upgrade. My H model has the Allis Chalmers diesel.

On a different tack, what ever happened to American Coleman? Why doesn't anyone use that style of front driving axle anymore?

Thanks.
By chtrout - 3 Years Ago
"American Coleman Roadrunner"

Okay, guys, I kinda thought I knew my Colemans, but this one has me stumped.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/fafa478e-e1db-4f48-adf4-ecfc.jpg

It is very obviously based on a G-40 (MB-4) after it was significantly restyled in about 1976 when the G-40-G variant was introduced.

•    The only major differences between this "Roadrunner" and a "stock" G-40 is that headlights have been added to the leading slopes of the fenders, plus turn signals, clearance markers and such; a bug screen has been added over the grill; and windshield wipers. There is also an air foil added to the top of the cab, but I suspect it came later.

•    The basic structural elements of the cab, windshield, hood, fenders and heavy (ballasted) bumper look identical to a G-40-G and later variants.

•    The photo was supposedly taken in Bochelt, Belgium in 2012. That's a Belgium license plate on the bumper.

>>> Question:  Has anyone out there ever heard of an "American Coleman Roadrunner"?

∙    An alternate explanation may be that someone simply customized a surplus G-40 and set it up for "over the road" use. The reason I say this is the name plate looks very crowded and perhaps even homemade. Any thoughts or ideas out there?
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c3d9535a-a90e-45d1-809f-7840.jpghttp://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/2dfbcbb3-35f5-4ee6-8ee8-22a4.jpg
>>Photo source: Wot, Vol. 24, No. 6, Nov-Dec 2003, pg 17.

I am researching Coleman history, and in about 1925 or so, Coleman entered into an arrangement with Columbian Steel Tank Company to sell Coleman C-25 four-wheel-drive tractor lash-ups with Columbian 5,200 gallon frame-less trailers.

I am having trouble finding much more about this. Can anyone refer me to someone researching Columbian Steel Tank Company trailers?

Thanks!
Craig

By Jeff Lakaszcyck - Last Year
Have you tried ebay for your bearings ? If you have part numbers and cross reference numbers from other manufacturers, it is surprising what you can find, usually at a reasonable price.
By Tony Bullard - 3 Months Ago
Mark now that you know this axle inside and out would it be possible to use a  more common bearing and a spacer as we discussed in these two posts?
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/FindPost121290.aspx
http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/FindPost121294.aspx

By Bill White - 5 Years Ago
Coleman CF-55-AF Tug also built by Federal F-55-AF was a license built version

Built by two American companies Federal (F-55-AF) and Coleman (CF-55-AF) these tugs were made up of two GM cabs welded together, had 4-wheel steering and were powered by a Buda LO-525 6cyl engine producing 125bhp.

By chtrout - 2 Years Ago
2016 ATHS Salem -- Got Coleman?     (photos that is)

My "proud but rusty budget" would not allow me to attend the 2016 ATHS Truck Show in Salem this year.   Did anyone notice any Coleman trucks or Coleman Front Drive Conversions?
  • Quite a few early Colemans were sold to the California State Highway Department, and a smaller number were sold to logging interests in Oregon and Washington, so I suspect there may still be a few "survivors" in the area that may have been brought in for the show. 
Craig 
By chtrout - 4 Years Ago
Hi John,

I have those two shots also, the top one of the C-25 towing the 5,200 gal. Columbian Frameless Tank trailer is taken on Main Street Littleton, just west of the intersection with Prince Street, and is from the Littleton Museum collection. I like it because it clearly highlights the "signature" Coleman heavy dome hub protectors on both the front and rear axles of the C-25. Not very big, but great traction.  The Army bought it as a type "TTL" towing tractor for light 37mm antiaircraft guns and other light field artillery. 

The lower 1920's shot is an early variant of the 5-ton model being demonstrated carrying 10,000 lbs of cement up Ruby Hill in South Denver. Coleman used Ruby Hill as one of their favorite demo sites for many years, even well into the 1950's when they were experimenting with farm tractors and earth moving prototypes related to the D44B Famese project for the military. The shot is probably from the Denver Public Library Western Collection, but I have an original print in my collection also.

Great shots!
By Eddy Lucast - 2 Years Ago
To get around the copywrite laws you need to comply with a majority of 3 items. The two that we typically fall under are,
Do not use it for any commercial use.
Change the purpose of the item. i. e. An item produced as a sales piece used as a history discussion.

in the past a Las Vegas group bought publications so they could sue for copyright infringements, but the Supreme court shut them down.