1973 Kenworth W900

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Topic30922.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rustymachine - 7 Years Ago

350 Cummins small cam, 13 speed Roadranger, 4.11 SQHD's on 8 bag air ride. Truck originally had a 16 speed married box Spicer and torsion bar suspension.

Best regards,

Matt
By John Woge - 7 Years Ago
Matt,

It's looking great.....did you ever go any further with finding a 4x4 ?

John
By John Hanson - 7 Years Ago
Good lookin' A model!! I've got a 4 speed main I'd let go pretty reasonable if you're looking. I'm in MT.
John Woge (21/07/2013)
Matt,

It's looking great.....did you ever go any further with finding a 4x4 ?

John

A generous friend had one that he wasn't going to use and donated it to the cause:

This one has a manually shifted auxiliary rather than an air shift, but it has an aluminum case and the OTR gearset.

Thanks for the compliments, Mr. Hanson. I'm all set with transmissions right now, but I appreciate you letting me know about the 4 speed.

Matt
By Bill Bradford - 7 Years Ago
Matt, What's the serial number on your truck. I have a 73 W900 also. Serial number 133366.

Bill

Serial number on mine is 132438. It was ordered in Jan of 73 and delivered in August.

This is my grandfather and dad picking it up at Motor Truck Equipment in Harrisburg, Pa.

Matt
By John Hanson - 7 Years Ago
Now THAT is one cool picture!!!! I sure wish I had that sort of history with any of my trucks!
By roKWiz - 7 Years Ago
Nice KW Matt. Great to see that original picture.

I reckon those short stacks look so cool.

Geoff
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's still got a lot of 40 year old electrical, fuel, and air lines that need attention but we're slowly getting it up to snuff.

Matt

By Freightrain - 7 Years Ago
Very cool truck. Very classic looking. What it woulda have been like to be able to "buy it new" in the day.
By wayne graham - 7 Years Ago
Larry, I bought 3 A models new in the 70's. Some of my fondest memories and I guess some of the reason I have a drive full of them now. Every now and then somebody will stop by and remind me "those are just like the one's you had back then" which makes it even better to me. Wayne
By Rustymachine - 6 Years Ago

The Northern Empire Chapter of the ATCA in the Norwood, NY 4th of July parade. Afterwards, we took the trucks in to the thriving metropolis of Potsdam for lunch.

Matt
By John Woge - 6 Years Ago
Looking good Matt....
Bumper sure looks nice. I can't get used to these modern day dozer blades they keep hanging on the front of these nice old classics....but that's just old fashioned me...   Did you ever get that 4x4 you were talking about ?

Hope you're keeping everything in line up there in the north country......I used to drop in Watertown and then Plattsburgh. Sure miss that ride up across 11 ( except the creeper cops !! ). Coldest I ever trucked in , was up there one night. -38

John
I did get the 4x4 in the previous picture. Haven't put it in yet.

Our local truck show is coming up Aug 15, 16, 17 in Madrid, NY if you want to take a ride and re-live old times. It was 39 degrees this morning in Paul Smiths, NY.

Matt

New exhaust going on finally. Have some tweaking to do. Our local truck show starts on Friday, so it's hustle time.

Matt

By chocko - 6 Years Ago
Nice pictures. What truck did your 4X4 come out of ? With the levers bent forward I would think a short nose convential.Nice with the progressive gear arrangement. Joe D.
By fuelem7 - 6 Years Ago
what is the wheelbase.
Not sure what truck the transmission is from. Friend had it laying on a pallet in his garage. Levers will have to be bent straight to work in my truck.

Matt
fuelem7 (8/29/2014)
what is the wheelbase.

Wheelbase is 240" measured from center of front wheel to center of tandem if I remember correctly. Measured it once when I first got it. It was originally much shorter.

Matt

Doing some more work on the paint.

Matt
By Rustymachine - 5 Years Ago
By Freightrain - 5 Years Ago
That's just sweet!
By wayne graham - 5 Years Ago
Amen brother. That is real nice.
By Rustymachine - 5 Years Ago
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Matt
By Rustymachine - 4 Years Ago
By Rustymachine - 4 Years Ago
https://youtu.be/GridImBp1kQ

By aw12345 - 4 Years Ago
Very nice truck
By Rustymachine - 2 Years Ago
Got some fenders installed on the old girl this year as well as a new, fabricated battery box.

And a new stainless steel air tank...

Best regards,

Matt
By Rustymachine - 4 Weeks Ago
Still around.  Took this picture in the midst of putting on 8 new drive tires and wheels.  Started out only putting on 4 new aluminum wheels to get rid of the 4 steel inners and it snowballed.  Old tires started coming apart when I went to swap them over so 8 new Kelly KDM1's were purchased.  Then we found badly worn beads on a pair of the older aluminum wheels.  I had replaced two last year due to cracking.  So we should be good to go as far as rubber for a while.

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/uploads/images/c1383e1b-8e6e-411b-90bc-16ed.jpg
By jhancock - 3 Weeks Ago

The shiny stuff always cost more...
By Eddy Lucast - 3 Weeks Ago
The tire folks have UV damage fighting compounds they put in high end bus tires. It's something our hobby could use.
By Wolfcreek_Steve - 3 Weeks Ago
Eddy Lucast (10/1/2020)
The tire folks have UV damage fighting compounds they put in high end bus tires. It's something our hobby could use.

Rubber is white, I thought the carbon black that they put in the compound was to keep the rubber from UV decay.
By Eddy Lucast - 4 Weeks Ago
Steve I don't know how they achieve it. Michelin extends the warranty coverage to 10 years and advertises the enhanced UV protection. Interestingly this is only available in one tire and only available to Prevost. If you want to buy them you go to one of the Prevost service centers.
By Wolfcreek_Steve - 4 Weeks Ago
I'm sure there are other things that work better that carbon black.
Prevost must have paid plenty to get a special compound that would be as saleable as a long life tire.
By Terry T - 4 Weeks Ago
Such an nice looking KW.
By Rustymachine - 4 Weeks Ago
I've had the truck for 11 years now and the tires were recaps when I bought it.  Who knows how long they've been tires?  They should probably be sileage cover weights now... the part that hurts the most is trying to get rid of them.

Best regards,

Matt